Not open for further replies.

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update Index:

Separate threads of note:

(Update disclaimer: original OP below. This is not the final design. That can be seen by clicking the red link in the index above)

An insider just confirmed that this leaked PS5 design is real
sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-1.jpg

BGR said:
The high-resolution render above shows us what a PS5 dev console looks like, and it was created using a newly discovered Sony design patent. The reason renders like this exist in the first place is that a developer accidentally confirmed the design on Twitter, and then proceeded to delete the message and his entire account. It turns out that a different developer with access to both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox 2 (Project Scarlett) has been sharing images of the PS5 dev box for a while now, as well as additional details about the upcoming next-generation Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Release date and specs
The leaker told Gizmodo in a series of emails that the blog was right with the assumption that AMD was slow to get ray tracing support on Navi, and that’s why both consoles couldn’t launch before 2020, in spite of both Sony and Microsoft confirming the main specs for each product. “Correct that AMD Navi v late,” the tipster said.

The person also said that the PS5 design above is codenamed Prospero, and it was delivered to developers early this summer. Gizmodo explained that Prospero is a character who appears in William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Ariel and Gonzalo are other characters from the play, which are coincidentally the codenames that AMD may have used to hide its brand new console parts from the public. Ariel and Gonzalo were associated with new AMD semi-custom chips for gaming consoles, or Accelerated Processing Units (APU). A GPU called Oberon was also discovered earlier this year. The Shakespearian inspiration also suggests all these parts are made for next year’s consoles.

The tipster revealed that the future console will have “the greatest compute jump in any console,” without revealing any specific details...

Xbox Scarlett camera
On top of all that, the report explains that both consoles should have built-in user-facing cameras to facilitate live game streaming. The PS5 dev kit featured older camera tech that will probably be replaced on the final product. But the Microsoft Xbox Scarlett kit comes with a 4K camera that’s able to deliver a two-frame latency between what’s recorded and what appears on the stream. Microsoft (and Sony) seem to be well aware of the increased popularity of game streaming, and the next-gen consoles might pack great hardware so gamers don’t need to buy third-party cameras to stream.
ps5-design-patent.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think thats going to be the final design. I remember the funky PS3 controller etc.

Looks like garbage - looks like the cap for a USB stick.

Its the Dev Kit in that pic, its already been confirmed as that due to the filing with the Brazilian government. A senior Artist at Codemasters also confirmed it before deleting his twitter account : https://bgr.com/2019/08/22/ps5-release-date-leaked-playstation-5-design-linked-to-dev-kit/

Plus its looking like this is the newest version of the devkit for them as there was a version sent out last year and then some more after Mark Cerny wired interview earlier in the year.

Scarlett has always been the Xbox code name for next gen not PS5, the last couple of Code names have been floated for being linked to PS5 have been Oberon and Gonzalo(which seems to possibly be the APU) (all names also for the PS5 seeming to have Shakespeare linked names).

They need to get rid of that stupid notch and just put a 200mm fan on top. They're probably going to be 40mm or 60mm fans that will be loud AF.

Looks like a gun from Borderlands

Everyone gonna be a streamer now. That’s cool though. I like it. Hopefully Sony will include a 4K camera too.

Part of me wonders if the notch is designed to be a convenient place to rest the controller.

Part of me wonders if the notch is designed to be a convenient place to rest the controller.

its fugly as all get out though. Lmao.

its fugly as all get out though. Lmao.
I have to admit I like it, myself. It has a bit of a Star Wars influence going on. It reminds me of the buildings on Coruscant, or the Millenium Falcon. More than the Falcon it reminds me of the tractor ships in Galaga.

It probably has a more practical purpose: heat dissipation. As you can see there is a semblance of fin stacking similar to what CPU air cooler designs utilize in order to maximize the surface area exposure between the metal and the surrounding air. This is where it begins to resemble a mult-story building, but then they also add a curve to the recess.

Stacked-Fin-Stamping-Extruded-Computer-Cooling-Motherboard-CPU-Fan-LED-Aluminum-Design-Radiator-Heat-Transfer-Pump-Thermal-Paste-Grease-Power-Supply-Heat-Sink.jpg

Obviously the least efficient shape for cooling is a sphere. The leaked design, on the other hand, doesn't bottle up the central internals of the PS5 deep inside of a box. It's always better to keep things shallow. So maybe it really does have ambitious processing horsepower.

I have to admit I like it, myself. It has a bit of a Star Wars influence going on. It reminds me of the buildings on Coruscant, or the Millenium Falcon. More than the Falcon it reminds me of the tractor ships in Galaga.

It probably has a more practical purpose: heat dissipation. As you can see there is a semblance of fin stacking similar to what CPU air cooler designs utilize in order to maximize the surface area exposure between the metal and the surrounding air. This is where it begins to resemble a mult-story building, but then they also add a curve to the recess.

Stacked-Fin-Stamping-Extruded-Computer-Cooling-Motherboard-CPU-Fan-LED-Aluminum-Design-Radiator-Heat-Transfer-Pump-Thermal-Paste-Grease-Power-Supply-Heat-Sink.jpg

Obviously the least efficient shape for cooling is a sphere. That design doesn't bottle up the central internals of the PS5 inside of a box. It's always better to keep things shallow. So maybe it really does have ambitious processing horsepower.

Yeah pretty much.

9pvcvlglmoi31.jpg

It’s a dev kit. Here’s what the PS4 one looked like.

1bbk3htcxe211.jpg

Prospero sounds like the name of some dictator in the Tropico series.

As a massive WH40K nerd I LOL'd hard at it being called Prospero.
MS should name their xbox prototype Fenris or simply Wolf

Prospero-Burns.jpg

Yeah, wasnt that concept image leaked weeks ago? Regardless it does look like a toilet seat.
I bet some nutter would stick his penis in that hole. 100%. Maybe that nutter is me.

Yes, it mentions that in the article, and @rikwebb already posted more extensively on this. I copied the clickbait BGR headline.

TmJNR50.png
Then I guess I’m not seeing the point of discussing a design that won’t be used. We saw this a little while back.

Doesn't look bad to me but I've never really cared about what my console looks like. Looks like it's just a dev kit though so oh well.

Then I guess I’m not seeing the point of discussing a design that won’t be used. We saw this a little while back.
Because it gives insight into what the final product will support, and also likely what it will resemble. I checked the PS5 thread (where I ultimately intend to merge this) and didn't see this posted yet. So I thought it was worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back