PS5 announced for 2020 Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and there's ONE exclusive game that Microsoft could release a trailer for that would get me HYPED UP for the XBX release...

A remake or sequel to...

Perfect-Dark-Background-.jpg

Its been 21 years since the N64 release, and 14 years since its less-than-satisfying prequel was released.

This IP has been abandoned ever since and that is a tragedy.

Hopefully the people at Microsoft have been paying attention to the giant hype around Cyberpunk over the last two to three years and realised they have the rights to their own SciFi dystopian spy franchise.

Did the remaster of Perfect Dark do well on the XBox360? If so, that could have been a big clue that interest in a sequel wasn't dead. Kinda like how Capcom releasing the REmake on PSN led them to doing the RE2make and now the RE3make.

Anyway, sorry for cluttering up the PS5 thread for this.

"Frankly, Sony looks like the hapless bitch this time around."

"Microsoft's bold new direction so disruptive."

Those statements aren't objective.
Yes, they are. I used that same word, and language far more harsh, to describe Microsoft back in 2013, due to their announced policies, and I doubt anyone would question the objective propriety of that language. More than anything I was just analogizing Sony now to Microsoft then. They're acting like the next generation is already in the bag for them. Moreover, Microsoft is undertaking a bold new direction with consoles. Dissolving the wall not just between their console and PCs, but also between their current console and past consoles, is a radical change to the console business as it has existed for roughly 30 years.
Yeah, because the 'decisive wins' of the hardware specs of the XBoxOne over Ps4 largely amounted to nothing.
You have it backwards. The Xbox One was the weaker console than the PS4, and it was certainly cited by many gamers at the time of launch as one of many reasons for why they chose the PS4.
1. Microsoft has the hardware & specs advantage, just as they did in the current console generation.

2. Sony has the advantage in exclusives, as of now, but Microsoft has made gains in recent years.

And as of now, both #1 and #2 mean nothing. What will mean something are the games. Its always been about the games, and will always be about the games.
This is the point I just raised. The PS5 doesn't have an advantage in exclusives over the XSX. The PS4 has an advantage in exclusives over the XB1.

You're counting chickens before they hatch. It's not unreasonable to assume that Sony will continue to win this battle, but it's unreasonable to claim it as a reality. Right now, the Xbox has decisive wins; more exciting hardware and more exciting console policies.

That's what the PS4 used to win the last generation's war. At launch, both consoles had pitiful launch libraries, neither of which sold well, even with time, and yet the PS4 crushed the XB1 in sales.

Yes, they are. I used that same word, and language far more harsh, to describe Microsoft back in 2013, due to their announced policies, and I doubt anyone would question the objective propriety of that language. More than anything I was just analogizing Sony now to Microsoft then. They're acting like the next generation is already in the bag for them. Moreover, Microsoft is undertaking a bold new direction with consoles. Dissolving the wall not just between their console and PCs, but also between their current console and past consoles, is a radical change to the console business as it has existed for roughly 30 years.

We shall see if, and how, significant the 'radical change' will be.

You have it backwards. The Xbox One was the weaker console than the PS4, and it was certainly cited by many gamers at the time of launch as one of many reasons for why they chose the PS4.

Actually, you are correct, with the first versions of each console.

I meant to refer to the Ps4 Pro and Xbox One S. When they released the XBox clearly had the superior hardware, and many bought the console based on the marketing of it being 'the most powerful console.' But, there hasn't been a year that the XBox One S has outsold the Ps4 Pros.

No point in buying 'the most powerful console' when the best games people want to play aren't on it.

This is the point I just raised. The PS5 doesn't have an advantage in exclusives over the XSX. The PS4 has an advantage in exclusives over the XB1.

You're counting chickens before they hatch. It's not unreasonable to assume that Sony will continue to win this battle, but it's unreasonable to claim it as a reality. Right now, the Xbox has decisive wins; more exciting hardware and more exciting console policies.

I'm not 'counting the chickens before they hatch' because its a reasonable assumption to make that remastered versions of the PS4 games will be released for PS5 and those game's sequels will also be released on PS5.

And you're also making the reasonable assumption that Microsoft's 1st party developers will make good use of XBX's superior hardware, unlike what they were able to do with Xbox One S.

We'll see prior to the PS5's and XBX's launches near how good each console's titles will be, which ones that gamers will be hyped up to buy a console on Day 1 to play immediately.

That's what the PS4 used to win the last generation's war. At launch, both consoles had pitiful launch libraries, neither of which sold well, even with time, and yet the PS4 crushed the XB1 in sales.

Yup, and 'pitiful launch titles' have gone back even further than that. There wasn't any decent games out for each of PS3 and XBox360's launches.

Nintendo hasn't launched a Mario game with a new console since the N64.

Hell, the last launch game I remember people getting VERY excited for and warranted buying a console on Day 1 was Halo.

We shall see if, and how, significant the 'radical change' will be.
It's been a cornerstone of their announcement. They haven't done a great job of conveying the idea, but it's what they intended when they labeled the new Xbox the "Series X".

They no longer consider Xboxes separate generations. The label, i.e. "Series X", merely tells the consumer the respective power of that particular console within the ecosystem. Every future Xbox will have a different label, but they all run the same games. They've adopted the PC ecosystem minus the need for "compatibility mode".

This is a revolution to console gaming.

It's been a cornerstone of their announcement. They haven't done a great job of conveying the idea, but it's what they intended when they labeled the new Xbox the "Series X".

They no longer consider Xboxes separate generations. The label, i.e. "Series X", merely tells the consumer the respective power of that particular console within the ecosystem. Every future Xbox will have a different label, but they all run the same games. They've adopted the PC ecosystem minus the need for "compatibility mode".

This is a revolution to console gaming.

PCs have been hooked up to TVs for a while now, especially since TVs are essentially large computer monitors, and those PCs can be hooked into XBox controllers.

This new 'Revolution' is just streamlining it, along with backwards compatibility for XBox games.

And while Microsoft is making it a selling point, its not like Sony won't adopt the same technology to the PS5 in time. In fact, Sony has a history of stealing successful concepts, as has Microsoft.

PCs have been hooked up to TVs for a while now, especially since TVs are essentially large computer monitors, and those PCs can be hooked into XBox controllers.

This new 'Revolution' is just streamlining it, along with backwards compatibility for XBox games.

And while Microsoft is making it a selling point, its not like Sony won't adopt the same technology to the PS5 in time. In fact, Sony has a history of stealing successful concepts, as has Microsoft.
I'm not saying that this is a revolution in PC gaming. It's a revolution to consoles.

Oh, and there's ONE exclusive game that Microsoft could release a trailer for that would get me HYPED UP for the XBX release...

A remake or sequel to...

Perfect-Dark-Background-.jpg

Its been 21 years since the N64 release, and 14 years since its less-than-satisfying prequel was released.

This IP has been abandoned ever since and that is a tragedy.

Hopefully the people at Microsoft have been paying attention to the giant hype around Cyberpunk over the last two to three years and realised they have the rights to their own SciFi dystopian spy franchise.

Did the remaster of Perfect Dark do well on the XBox360? If so, that could have been a big clue that interest in a sequel wasn't dead. Kinda like how Capcom releasing the REmake on PSN led them to doing the RE2make and now the RE3make.

Anyway, sorry for cluttering up the PS5 thread for this.

imo, that was among the most innovative fps (if not the most, which gets subjective) ever. also, imo - that was the best fps ever, with the era taken into account.

rare was fucking awesome in the 90s.

i typed this last night, then realized what thread this was, and didn't post it. today i realize that this is better than the thread content, anyway.

MS is being misleading I think with their BC comments. As some users already pointed out the Kinect games will not work. I think they are doing one of their classic "power of the cloud" comments. Just making grandiose statements and hoping they can back them up later. While Sony is being more accurate with the realization that guaranteeing that every single PS4 game will work out of box is damn near impossible to do without going through every game in the library.

Someone out there gives a crap about kinect games? lol

1. Microsoft has the hardware & specs advantage, just as they did in the current console generation.

I'm no expert on this but wasn't there a small difference between the Xbone to PS4 and a much bigger difference with the PS5 and XSX?

I'm no expert on this but wasn't there a small difference between the Xbone to PS4 and a much bigger difference with the PS5 and XSX?
The Xbox One is inferior to the PS4, and it was noticeable. The Xbox One X is superior to the PS4 Pro. But I don't believe MS had any hope in reverting the sales in two years of life, the damage was already done. It was just Phil Spencer saying "Hey, look what we can do, bitches".

The Xbox One is inferior to the PS4, and it was noticeable. The Xbox One X is superior to the PS4 Pro. But I don't believe MS had any hope in reverting the sales in two years of life, the damage was already done. It was just Phil Spencer saying "Hey, look what we can do, bitches".
I certainly dont notice much difference playing on both.

I certainly dont notice much difference playing on both.
You play multiplat games on multiple systems? Unless you're playing the same game on both PS4 and Xbox One it's going to depend more on the game itself.

I don't give a shit about backwards compatibility and that seems to be their focal point. I've owned every single PlayStation but I will likely be sitting this one out at least until it has a decent library. The current game development cycle is such that most major publishers (that I care for anyhow) are likely to only put out one game for it.

I don't give a shit about backwards compatibility and that seems to be their focal point. I've owned every single PlayStation but I will likely be sitting this one out at least until it has a decent library. The current game development cycle is such that most major publishers (that I care for anyhow) are likely to only put out one game for it.

That's fair but i don't recall one launch where any Playstation consoles had an awesome launch lineup. A game that I HAD to get. I've always purchased the system because it was the next one for me to get.

Won't be any different with this one.

That's fair but i don't recall one launch where any Playstation consoles had an awesome launch lineup. A game that I HAD to get. I've always purchased the system because it was the next one for me to get.

I'm actually surprised more people don't just wait it out a bit, simply due to early fail rates of 1st gen machines. Not to mention the life cycles and how they're basically releasing upgraded versions of the consoles every year or so now. Combine that with the inevitable weak launch lineup, and a slow transition period for developers, and I really don't know why anyone buys a console at launch.

I'm actually surprised more people don't just wait it out a bit, simply due to early fail rates of 1st gen machines. Not to mention the life cycles and how they're basically releasing upgraded versions of the consoles every year or so now. Combine that with the inevitable weak launch lineup, and a slow transition period for developers, and I really don't know why anyone buys a console at launch.

If this was Microsoft then i'd be a bit worried about the first gen systems but with Sony not so much. And even then I've been extremely lucky with my xbox consoles because none of them ever bricked.

I did have an issue with my PS4. Took it on travel with me one to many times and it displaced the laser that reads the disc so it wasn't reading my gaming discs properly. That actually pushed me towards buying more digital versions of the games instead of hard copies.

Apart from that i generally take good care of my systems and have never had any problems with 'em... *knock on wood*

Sure. The biggest thing for me in all of this is how much game development lifecycles have grown. Rockstar put out ONE game this gen. Bethesda Softworks put out ONE game with any real content. Naughty Dog will just be squeezing in two games. CDPR will just be squeezing in two games. The fact that we're lucky to see one of two games from our favorite publishers makes me less excited about jumping in. And I think it's safe to say it will only get stretched even thinner on the next gen. I'm all for quality or quantity which is I don't mention any publishers that churn out yearly sequels. But I think Sony putting so much emphasis on backwards compatibility speaks to the fact that they KNOW we won't have a lot of new games to choose from.

And when it comes to backwards compatibility for me, the nostalgia only lasts so long. I have PSNow. I can fire up some of my favorite games from last gen like Red Dead and Fallout 3 and well, they just don't hold up all that great. Not to mention I played those games so damn much. And now moving into the next gen I've played the absolute shit out of every current gen release I have any desire to play. Backwards compatibility is close to a 0 as a selling point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back