PS5 announced for 2020 Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised more people don't just wait it out a bit, simply due to early fail rates of 1st gen machines. Not to mention the life cycles and how they're basically releasing upgraded versions of the consoles every year or so now. Combine that with the inevitable weak launch lineup, and a slow transition period for developers, and I really don't know why anyone buys a console at launch.

Fail rates have never been an issue for me. If I waited for the next pro version then I'm adding like another 3 years at least. I agree slow transition but I don't mind that they always release some stuff and then most games after that are multiplat so I at least get higher FPS if nothing else. Mainly I do it just cause I can. Gaming is one of the few things in my life I throw money at and just don't care that and vacations are the only times I don't worry about money. When I got a PRo though it actually worked out cause I sold my original PS4 first and only really paid like $150-200 more for the pro.

When I got a PRo though it actually worked out cause I sold my original PS4 first and only really paid like $150-200 more for the pro.

You actually paid about $700 for it though, if you include the cost of the original.

Not that I blame you if you have the money and just don't give a fuck, but the whole idea that you "saved" money because you got trade in value for your inferior console, is exactly the mentality they prey on. You didn't save any money. You bought two consoles at about $900 and got a $200 rebate for your trade in that you no longer possess. You're still behind the 8 ball.

Interesting.......

The PlayStation 5 GPU Will Be Supported By Better Hardware Solutions, In Depth Analysis Suggests

"The PlayStation 5 will feature a weaker GPU, compared to the Xbox Series X, but developers continue to praise the console. The raw specs are definitely not painting the whole picture about the new consoles, and a recent in-depth analysis suggests that the Sony next-gen console's GPU will have a better system supporting it, resulting in better overall performance.

You actually paid about $700 for it though, if you include the cost of the original.

Not that I blame you if you have the money and just don't give a fuck, but the whole idea that you "saved" money because you got trade in value for your inferior console, is exactly the mentality they prey on. You didn't save any money. You bought two consoles at about $900 and got a $200 rebate for your trade in that you no longer possess. You're still behind the 8 ball.

yea I know I didn’t save money but it’s not as bad as buying a ps4 full price and then a ps4 pro full price. I have no use for two ps4s especially the base model.

Sure. The biggest thing for me in all of this is how much game development lifecycles have grown. Rockstar put out ONE game this gen. Bethesda Softworks put out ONE game with any real content. Naughty Dog will just be squeezing in two games. CDPR will just be squeezing in two games. The fact that we're lucky to see one of two games from our favorite publishers makes me less excited about jumping in. And I think it's safe to say it will only get stretched even thinner on the next gen. I'm all for quality or quantity which is I don't mention any publishers that churn out yearly sequels. But I think Sony putting so much emphasis on backwards compatibility speaks to the fact that they KNOW we won't have a lot of new games to choose from.

And when it comes to backwards compatibility for me, the nostalgia only lasts so long. I have PSNow. I can fire up some of my favorite games from last gen like Red Dead and Fallout 3 and well, they just don't hold up all that great. Not to mention I played those games so damn much. And now moving into the next gen I've played the absolute shit out of every current gen release I have any desire to play. Backwards compatibility is close to a 0 as a selling point for me.
There's always some fancy lingo for why you're getting an increasingly shortened end of the stick:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_as_a_service

Interesting.......

The PlayStation 5 GPU Will Be Supported By Better Hardware Solutions, In Depth Analysis Suggests

"The PlayStation 5 will feature a weaker GPU, compared to the Xbox Series X, but developers continue to praise the console. The raw specs are definitely not painting the whole picture about the new consoles, and a recent in-depth analysis suggests that the Sony next-gen console's GPU will have a better system supporting it, resulting in better overall performance.

Zzzzzzz. More schlock. Also, LOL, nowhere in this analysis is it suggested the PS5 will have "better overall performance". The guy who tweeted that is either ignorant or a shill.

Here is technical analysis in question:
https://hole-in-my-head.blogspot.com/2020/03/analyse-this-next-gen-consoles-part-9.html

Allow me to decipher this for everyone. The Xbox has an "asymmetrical" design: the first 8GB of sytem (V)RAM is faster than the second 8GB. So when more than 8GB of RAM is in use, in total, whatever function that second set of RAM is performing in the XSX is running slower than the PS5. When will this matter to actual game performance? The only time it will have a real impact is when the VRAM in use by the GPU itself runs over, and even then, only for the portion of the VRAM running at that slower speed. Microsoft will still enjoy a significant VRAM speed advantage for virtually all of the RAM that is actually being used to render frames. In other words, using the current gaming landscape as a measuring stick, the Xbox would still be significantly superior in well over 99% of conditions (in terms of memory; not even touching its gaping GPU disadvantage).

The I/O and SSD throughput details he mentions are silly. I don't care if the SSD relieves the system RAM of slower jobs by performing them itself. SSDs-- even the fastest ones like the one in the PS5-- are massively slower than GDDR6. The only time that throughput would practically matter is if literally every GB of RAM is in use, and the game still wants more. I can't believe the devs will ever code their games to put that demand on the consoles because it's explicitly bad programming, and they know their target hardware. Otherwise, until this point in history, Jeff's skepticism of SSDs is on point. All this throughput will reduce loading times: whether in games or for menus. There isn't a more creative or substantive in-game implementation than that.

A couple things have me looking at this otherwise objective analysis sideways. He says the XSX CPU will only be as much as 10% superior, and that the increased frequency of the PS5 GPU will reduce its effective power disadvantage to just 20%. Both of those are errant assumptions that accept the peak turbos as sustained turbos. A guy writing what he is writing is undoubtedly aware of that. It makes me not trust his motives. Second, he slobbers all over the Sony audio solution, and the burden it relieves on the CPU, without any specifics. Smoke and mirrors.

I don't disagree with Pendergrast's general sentiment that the PS5 is more balanced as a system, but that's theoretical. Practical game demands on a system aren't balanced, and are never uniform throughout a game. The only time that will matter is when they are. So maybe some PS5 exclusives will perfectly code their peak demands to squeeze out every last drop they can to....still come up short in the effective, utilized hardware power.

Not much of a consolation.

This headline should be labeled 'Clickbait' or 'Rumor.'

The price of the PlayStation 5 has reportedly been revealed, and if the price point is accurate, then the Sony console is cheaper than everyone thinks it's going to be. According to Canadian retailer Play N Trade (via Notebookcheck) the PS5 will cost $600 CA, which is roughly $400 USD.

"That said, it's quite possible this is nothing more than pure hogwash. The aforementioned retailer is currently taking pre-orders for the console, which it suspects will release on time. So, it's possible this is nothing more than a placeholder amount so the retailer can take pre-orders. And it's a safe placeholder for pre-orders because there's no way the console will cost less than $400.

So if you see constant mentions of PS5 going to be $400, this is the source of that pricepoint.

The price of the PlayStation 5 has reportedly been revealed, and if the price point is accurate, then the Sony console is cheaper than everyone thinks it's going to be. According to Canadian retailer Play N Trade (via Notebookcheck) the PS5 will cost $600 CA, which is roughly $400 USD.

"That said, it's quite possible this is nothing more than pure hogwash. The aforementioned retailer is currently taking pre-orders for the console, which it suspects will release on time. So, it's possible this is nothing more than a placeholder amount so the retailer can take pre-orders. And it's a safe placeholder for pre-orders because there's no way the console will cost less than $400.

So if you see constant mentions of PS5 going to be $400, this is the source of that pricepoint.

I have always assumed 400 bucks.

Figure the Xbox will be minimum 500

399.99$/379.99£ for the PS5 would be insane. Especially with this economy. This thing will fly off the shelves at that pricepoint.

Not much of a revelation. I figured the base model was going to be around $400. That's the sweet spot. They learned their lesson with the PS3.

Not much of a revelation. I figured the base model was going to be around $400. That's the sweet spot. They learned their lesson with the PS3.

This reminds me of the rumors Sony was going to be releasing two models.

The base model for a lower price, and the 'Pro' model.

I have always assumed 400 bucks.

Figure the Xbox will be minimum 500

If Microsoft allows a $100 difference between the XBX and PS5, they're repeating one of the biggest mistakes of 2013.

And they won't have the excuse of requiring a shitty Kinnect accessory to be included.

If Microsoft allows a $100 difference between the XBX and PS5, they're repeating one of the biggest mistakes of 2013.

And they won't have the excuse of requiring a shitty Kinnect accessory to be included.
Yeah. It all depends on how much of a loss they want to take on each system sold

At $400 I don't think Microsoft has a prayer of displaying Sony as the console leader with their current strategy. Single most important figure, by a landslide, in the console wars. Sony had to botch that badly to lose their inertia, and it appears they won't.

Isn't MS releasing two models this year though? Looks like we've only been shown the specs for their top tier model. The other model could come in at like $350 -$400.

Isn't MS releasing two models this year though? Looks like we've only been shown the specs for their top tier model. The other model could come in at like $350 -$400.

A while back, I heard the initial plans for MS were for three consoles to launch at release.

I'm not for it, but it would be interesting to see what model would win out.

A while back, I heard the initial plans for MS were for three consoles to launch at release.

I'm not for it, but it would be interesting to see what model would win out.

I honestly don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea. I’m interested to see how it would play out so I hope they still plan on doing at least two.

3 models would be retarded.

People like things simple, making people have to learn about 3 different models, or just buying a playstation, people are going for the playstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back