Social Push to end “nice racism”

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
It looks like robin deangelo has done it again. In her new book, she tackles “nice racism” which she argues is even more harmful than overt racism. She claims that nice racism may be accidental but the racial bias has longer impacting issues.

Really? So trying to be super nice to a person because they are black is worse than driving by and screaming the n word at someone? This bitch is seriously unhinged-yet people, especially corporations and academia, listen to her.

Here is her example that she opens the book with. She had zero black friends when she was in her thirties and met a couple for dinner where she proceeded to tell all these stories where her family said racist things and she thought it was so wrong. She was so desperate to show she wasn’t racist that she committed the crime of nice racism and caused more harm than if she had been purposefully racist.

What is nice racism? A canandian ku klux klan meeting?

That’s polite, yet passive aggressive racism. Nice racism is when you purposely treat black people different by being too nice because you desperately want to show you are “one of the good ones” and this somehow is worse than yelling the n word

I don’t know who this person is—but she’s actually not making a bad point. In her example, she’s talking about how in her desire to be seen as progressive and not racist, she actually made race an issue in a setting where it wasn’t an issue previously. Tbh, I think there are many well-meaning people, myself probably included, and also including non-progressives, who do things that are harmful in some way or another but it happens outside of their awareness. One of my great frustrations when discussing race issues with conservative-leaning people is that they often seem deathly allergic to even having the discussion. They want to believe that racism is a thing of the past, they don’t seem to understand why it’s even being discussed, and they often refuse to examine their own behaviors and actions even when no one is accusing them of being a racist person in general.

Really? So trying to be super nice to a person because they are black is worse than driving by and screaming the n word at someone?

Not worse but it's not good either so if she actually said that then she has a point and usually I don't agree with anything this lady says

She is the biggest guilt-tripping, grifting, race-hustler extraordinaire that there is.
What astonishes me even more is that how many people are just gobbling her obvious bullshit up without thinking twice : she’s just riding hard on people’s compassion and the obvious uncomfortableness of the topic to make a sale.
Horrible woman, causing a lot of harm with her pseudo-science.

Mental illness is serious business these days. It’s almost profitable!

I can't imagine a scenario where trying to overcompensate could be WORSE.

I've heard some conservative arguments to that effect, like people who would argue that affirmative action is more destructive than existing racist hiring policies (or inexplicit policies that conceal bias).

It's hard to argue with the premise of her book without reading it and seeing the case she makes, but I'm almost certainly not going to read it just to decide whether or not I agree.

General rule of thumb though if you are altering your behavior due to someones race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... you should probably examine why you do that.

Last edited:
That’s polite, yet passive aggressive racism. Nice racism is when you purposely treat black people different by being too nice because you desperately want to show you are “one of the good ones” and this somehow is worse than yelling the n word
It's definitely a thing though. Just like the "I am not racist, I have black friends" argument. It's like they want to establish false credibility in order to continue with their subtle racism. And if anything, it is worse than blatant racism, because at least then it is easier to see the enemy

Apologies for the question, as I watched the video while I’m working—but does she actually say it’s worse than yelling the n-word, or even worse than overt racism? I did not hear her say that.

I think it could be bad in the sense that if an ethnic minority child is treated with different expectations than other kids in school and then gets a rude awakening once they get into the real world. I also work in welfare and sometimes find that colleagues don't push minorities to find work the same way they would with white people, which also has a negative effect on them, even if they're not doing it for bad reasons.

Not worse but it's not good either so if she actually said that then she has a point and usually I don't agree with anything this lady says

she is a fucking clown that no one should take seriously. At worst, what she gave as her example was poor taste and ignorant and reflected her inexperience-but none of that is as bad as overt racism

she is a fucking clown that no one should take seriously. At worst, what she gave as her example was poor taste and ignorant and reflected her inexperience-but none of that is as bad as overt racism
So do you think that purposefully trying to treat someone better because of their race is good?

Basically it's a knock on effect of creating a world where people are so scared of being branded or seen as racist that people who aren't racist end up over compensating which ends up having a negative impact anyway.

She's not wrong. That's the same position taken by the guy who is the leading scholar on the concept of microaggressions (Derald Sue):

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/16/8031073/what-are-microaggressions

"Sue explained in his video primer on the topic, "People who engage in microagressions are ordinary folks who experience themselves as good, moral, decent individuals. Microaggressions occur because they are outside the level of conscious awareness of the perpetrator."

"It (is not) the overt racists, the white supremacists, the Klan, the skinheads," he told USA Today. But, he clarified, in some ways, this makes them all the more dangerous. The outright bigots, he explained, "are less likely to affect the standard of my living than individuals who are well-intentioned — educators, employers, health care providers — who are unaware of their biases.""

It's literally only a problem that exists because actual racism has been solved.

I don’t know who this person is—but she’s actually not making a bad point. In her example, she’s talking about how in her desire to be seen as progressive and not racist, she actually made race an issue in a setting where it wasn’t an issue previously. Tbh, I think there are many well-meaning people, myself probably included, and also including non-progressives, who do things that are harmful in some way or another but it happens outside of their awareness. One of my great frustrations when discussing race issues with conservative-leaning people is that they often seem deathly allergic to even having the discussion. They want to believe that racism is a thing of the past, they don’t seem to understand why it’s even being discussed, and they often refuse to examine their own behaviors and actions even when no one is accusing them of being a racist person in general.

I agree that recognizing one’s own ignorance is important, but this nut goes way off the rails. Her first book was “white fragility” where she says that all white people are guilty of racism even if they don’t mean it. In that book, she talks about how white people need to shut up, let blacks people take the lead, white people need to show deference and yield their power and influence and allow black people to have the spotlight. If that is not an example of her “nice racism” I don’t know what is

I don’t want people to be nice to me cuz of race I just want them to give me money for doing nothing cuz of shit that happened centuries ago.

She is the biggest guilt-tripping, grifting, race-hustler extraordinaire that there is.
What astonishes me even more is that how many people are just gobbling her obvious bullshit up without thinking twice : she’s just riding hard on people’s compassion and the obvious uncomfortableness of the topic to make a sale.
Horrible woman, causing a lot of harm with her pseudo-science.

she claims guilt is not the point of her work and that guilt is a useless emotion unless it drives someone to seek change and amend their past wrongs.

“Hey Mike, yeah, it’s Bear from 10th grade. I just wanted to call to apologize for back then when I didn’t know how to interact with you because you’re black. I am sorry and want to know how I can make amends.”

Mike: “don’t ever call me again”

It's definitely a thing though. Just like the "I am not racist, I have black friends" argument. It's like they want to establish false credibility in order to continue with their subtle racism. And if anything, it is worse than blatant racism, because at least then it is easier to see the enemy

surprise, you buy full into this bullshit. Being nice to someone because you want a black friend is demeaning, but in no way is it even remotely as bad as overt racism which is evil and dangerous

She's not wrong. That's the same position taken by the guy who is the leading scholar on the concept of microaggressions (Derald Sue):

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/16/8031073/what-are-microaggressions

"Sue explained in his video primer on the topic, "People who engage in microagressions are ordinary folks who experience themselves as good, moral, decent individuals. Microaggressions occur because they are outside the level of conscious awareness of the perpetrator."

"It (is not) the overt racists, the white supremacists, the Klan, the skinheads," he told USA Today. But, he clarified, in some ways, this makes them all the more dangerous. The outright bigots, he explained, "are less likely to affect the standard of my living than individuals who are well-intentioned — educators, employers, health care providers — who are unaware of their biases.""

It's literally only a problem that exists because actual racism has been solved.

Not sure if sarcastic

Back