Social Push to end “nice racism”

I have no idea who this person is but it is scary to think the media would allow grifters to push this nonsense on their viewers with no counter argument.

I don’t know why-maybe because people (like me) click on the stories because of strong disagreement or maybe they are trying to push this narrative?

Tiresome from liberals? Where do I start? The constant victimhood of just about every group with the exception lt straight white males. I am tried of news with racism in the title, the constant discussion of systematic racism and how it permeates every facet of life. I am sick of hearing about black people are being hunted by cops, etc
Thanks for the response. I’ll start with caveat that nothing I’m about to say is meant to invalidate your POV, but rather to offer perspective from the other political side.
—I agree that I don’t like the term “hunted.” It’s a pretty loaded term, and I think it does more harm than good. That said, I do want to point out that it’s not just “the left” that says this. Here, the term was used by a Brooklyn police officer, who said he felt as though he were hunting them because a commander had told him (and other officers) to ignore whites and Asians more often, and instead and arrest more blacks and Hispanics. He literally says, “I got tired of hunting black and Hispanic people.” Is that indicative of all police officers? Of course not. But it’s also not a term used for no reason.
—I’m not sick of hearing about systemic racism, I’m tired of one side pretending it doesn’t exist and showing no inclination to help fix it. I posted links earlier showing discrimination in a variety of “systems”: the justice system, housing, employment, etc. As long as this exists, it needs to be discussed and addressed. It bothers me that there are a lot of people in this country who turn a blind eye to it because they’re “sick of hearing about it.”
A quote from the video where she says that unintended and well meaning racism is more insidious than overt racism.

Now depending on which definition of insidious you use-slow and gradual with lasting harm or an stealthy attempt to entrap, stealthy plot to cause grave harm, etc-she is claiming that well intended racism is more harmful than overt racism and I disagree completely. I think that being a black person and being called the n word is infinitely more harmful than being slightly racist with good intentions. Malcom x said something similar that he preferred the openly racist to the well intentioned democrats that want to help black people and I think these two lines of thought basically tell people to not even try or try so hard you are deferring and stumbling trying to avoid the trap of being labeled a racist.

Here is an interview about her book white fragility. My issue with this is that she flat out says that she can make generalizations about white people and she knows and can predict what excuse they will give for not being racist. She talks about defensiveness and guilt-which again, she basically says “it’s not your fault your racist, you just are” and I don’t accept that. She completely ignores bigotry and prejudices placed upon and directed at white people and just seems to be so focused on showing how woke she is and proving that she is one of “the good ones” by basically cowering down and taking a tongue lashing by any black person.

Basically, I think what she puts out there is dangerous, or as she says, “insidious” because some of what she says makes some sense but her deference only weakens people in a betrayal if they buy what she is selling.

I wanted to return to this, and her use of the word insidious in the first video. You’ve characterized her as saying that “nice racism” is worse than overt racism. You also acknowledged that interpretation depends on the context of insidious. From about 1:00-1:15 she says that we’re all familiar with overt acts like slurs, but “there are more subtle manifestations, and because they are more subtle they are more insidious.” So it seems clear to me what the context is. These are harmful acts that are hard to combat because they are subtle and exist under the surface. Not only did you not take it that way though, but you invented scenarios and attributed them to her (e.g.,nice racism being worse than calling someone the N-word). Likewise in the 2nd video, “it’s not your fault you’re racist, you just are” isn’t something I hear her say, or imply.

If I may offer a sincere criticism: You are certainly not obligated to like her or agree with her, but some of the things that seem to bother you the most are your own interpretation, or even creation. She doesn’t seem to be espousing the things that you are accusing her of espousing.

Thanks for the response. I’ll start with caveat that nothing I’m about to say is meant to invalidate your POV, but rather to offer perspective from the other political side.
—I agree that I don’t like the term “hunted.” It’s a pretty loaded term, and I think it does more harm than good. That said, I do want to point out that it’s not just “the left” that says this. Here, the term was used by a Brooklyn police officer, who said he felt as though he were hunting them because a commander had told him (and other officers) to ignore whites and Asians more often, and instead and arrest more blacks and Hispanics. He literally says, “I got tired of hunting black and Hispanic people.” Is that indicative of all police officers? Of course not. But it’s also not a term used for no reason.
—I’m not sick of hearing about systemic racism, I’m tired of one side pretending it doesn’t exist and showing no inclination to help fix it. I posted links earlier showing discrimination in a variety of “systems”: the justice system, housing, employment, etc. As long as this exists, it needs to be discussed and addressed. It bothers me that there are a lot of people in this country who turn a blind eye to it because they’re “sick of hearing about it.”

I wanted to return to this, and her use of the word insidious in the first video. You’ve characterized her as saying that “nice racism” is worse than overt racism. You also acknowledged that interpretation depends on the context of insidious. From about 1:00-1:15 she says that we’re all familiar with overt acts like slurs, but “there are more subtle manifestations, and because they are more subtle they are more insidious.” So it seems clear to me what the context is. These are harmful acts that are hard to combat because they are subtle and exist under the surface. Not only did you not take it that way though, but you invented scenarios and attributed them to her (e.g.,nice racism being worse than calling someone the N-word). Likewise in the 2nd video, “it’s not your fault you’re racist, you just are” isn’t something I hear her say, or imply.

If I may offer a sincere criticism: You are certainly not obligated to like her or agree with her, but some of the things that seem to bother you the most are your own interpretation, or even creation. She doesn’t seem to be espousing the things that you are accusing her of espousing.

Fair enough response. As for the term hunted, I can’t say what that officer said is accurate or whether that was his interpretation. I know we always went where the crime and violence was and in almost all cases, it was in black communities, so if they feel hunted, it is because of the violence is there.

As for systematic racism, I think it exists to some extent, but I will never believe it is the root of so many problems in those communities. Poor parenting, single parent homes, lack of education when the opportunity is there for one, crime and violence are all serious issues-but to blame them on racism? Nah.

As for robin, I have read quite a few articles about her books and watched a few videos, and maybe That is just my interpretation, but I think she is a grifter and I think her preaching of deference is harmful when people buy into this shit.

Fair enough response. As for the term hunted, I can’t say what that officer said is accurate or whether that was his interpretation. I know we always went where the crime and violence was and in almost all cases, it was in black communities, so if they feel hunted, it is because of the violence is there.

As for systematic racism, I think it exists to some extent, but I will never believe it is the root of so many problems in those communities. Poor parenting, single parent homes, lack of education when the opportunity is there for one, crime and violence are all serious issues-but to blame them on racism? Nah.

As for robin, I have read quite a few articles about her books and watched a few videos, and maybe That is just my interpretation, but I think she is a grifter and I think her preaching of deference is harmful when people buy into this shit.
I think this response is fair as well, although I disagree somewhat with your stance on black communities. For example, regarding education, studies have shown that school districts with majority non-white students are underfunded compared with majority-white districts with equivalent numbers of students. Likewise, there has been for many years, a significant wealth gap between black and white families. So for many years in this country, it has been true that if you were born black, your family most likely had less wealth on average than if you were born white. When you went to school, it was likely to have less supplies and amenities than a majority-white school would, and when it came to funding, that school would get less than a white-majority school. So there are some very real obstacles that have existed for a long time that contribute to this. There is some good news, as this study from the anational a Academy of Sciences shows that the gap in neighborhood poverty is closing. If true, this is a great sign, and I think demonstrates that things we’ve done to combat racial inequality are working. I view it as a sign to continue that work. We’re making progress, but the issues are not resolved yet.

I'm thinking if people just treated each other how they wanted to be treated, that would fix a lot of these issues. Too bad most of society just act like selfish dickheads though.

I think this response is fair as well, although I disagree somewhat with your stance on black communities. For example, regarding education, studies have shown that school districts with majority non-white students are underfunded compared with majority-white districts with equivalent numbers of students. Likewise, there has been for many years, a significant wealth gap between black and white families. So for many years in this country, it has been true that if you were born black, your family most likely had less wealth on average than if you were born white. When you went to school, it was likely to have less supplies and amenities than a majority-white school would, and when it came to funding, that school would get less than a white-majority school. So there are some very real obstacles that have existed for a long time that contribute to this. There is some good news, as this study from the anational a Academy of Sciences shows that the gap in neighborhood poverty is closing. If true, this is a great sign, and I think demonstrates that things we’ve done to combat racial inequality are working. I view it as a sign to continue that work. We’re making progress, but the issues are not resolved yet.

schools are funded by taxes and inner city communities have less to pay than suburbs and the wealth inequality is due to joblessness, single parent households, and lack of higher wage earning jobs due to lack of education. This is just my opinion and I respect yours as well

Nice racists are worse than Hitler, apparently.

Imagine making a living off of shit like this.
Jesse-Jackson-1200x630.jpg

“There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs. There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well.” -Booker T. Washington

Exactly. She, personally, is awkward and socially inept around black people because she has white guilt due to her sheltered life. So she wants to assume and insist all white people are like her even though most white people wouldn't consider "racist things my parents have said" to be appropriate dinner table etiquette, regardless of company.....let alone when your company are ethnic minorities.

She has terrible manners and social etiquette. It bugs her. So she projects.

This is a good take.

Back