Put the worst careering changing beatings in the last 5 years

I’ll start:
Holloway/Kattar
Gaethje/Ferguson
Jiri/Reyes

GAethje/Ferguson is a strong example.

Your other two, Holloway/Kattar and Jiri/Reyes were beatings, but we don't know yet whether career's have been altered, do we? And if anyone put Reyes on a downward spiral, it'd have been Jan for wrecking his nose.

I’ll start:
Holloway/Kattar
Gaethje/Ferguson
Jiri/Reyes

How did it changed Reyes' and Kattar's careers?

On-topic:
Ferg after Gaethje
Woodley after Usman
Rory after Lawler (he was still good, just not the same)
JDS after Cain

getting hit a lot = not good for health and career

but you said worst career changing beatings, not the worst for your health beatings

3mLydMU.jpg

Glover/Smith

That shit was brutal and solidified Smiths place as a gatekeeper
I wondered if that was going to happen while watching it, but Smith has seemed fine his last couple fights. I think somewhere around the 5-10 ranking spot is just the right spot for him, he's not really a perennial top-contender talent.

Dillashaw vs Barao

Edit: Fuck didn't realize the thread title mentioned last 5 years. sorry.

5 years ?
Poirier took years off hooker career ( possibly)....off top/ head. That was brutal and lengthy.

Gotta go with Ferguson/Gaethje both for before and after contrast, and the fact that I thought for sure Ferguson was going to wind up in a coma, and then eating applesauce for the rest of his days when that fight was finally called.

<JagsKiddingMe>

tony-gaethje.jpg

Barboza vs Lee/Khabib came to mind, but he seems to have recovered from those maulings well.

Not sure what point you are trying to make by posting a punch-stat graphic, which counts all non-jabs as equal punches. Were you pointing out that Gathje landed more punches despite Ferguson attempting 100 more, 50% more?

Are you disputing that Ferguson got his brains turned into mush that fight? Are you claiming it was competitive, at all, after Round 1?

Kind of funny that you wonder if other people actually watched the fight. His reactions just before the fight was called were pretty scary, as far as looking like serious brain damage.

Last edited:
I’ll start:
Holloway/Kattar
Gaethje/Ferguson
Jiri/Reyes
Way to early to know if Reyes or Kattar is gonna be washed after those fights. Have to watch their next few fights to know that. Gaethje for example was able to recover from multiple wars in a row. Kattar and Reyes could do the same. No way to know yet.

I'd say the Robbie vs Rory then Robbie vs Condit fights in a row is one. Robbie was never the same after those 2.
Korean Superboy has not been the same since the Cub fight.

Not sure what point you are trying to make by posting a punch-stat graphic, which counts all non-jabs as equal punches. Were you pointing out that Gathje landed more punches despite Ferguson attempting 100 more, 50% more?

Are you disputing that Ferguson got his brains turned into mush that fight? Are you claiming it was competitive, at all, after Round 1?

Kind of funny that you wonder if other people actually watched the fight. His reactions just before the fight was called were pretty scary, as far as looking like serious brain damage.

Gaethje landed only 7 more total strikes than Tony over 5 rounds.

Tony landed more strikes in rounds 1 and 4, and I scored round 2 for Tony due to the knockdown that almost put Justin's lights out. Gaethje wasn't throwing bombs, he was throwing more accurate/efficient technical strikes. Tony's right eye got swollen shut in the 3rd round, and got poked in the right eye at the end of round 1. Both had an effect on him.

Gaethje landed only 22 more strikes than RDA vs Tony over the course of 5 rounds. Gaethje absorbed more srikes to the head vs Poirier and Alvarez than Tony did vs Gaethje (I'm bringing this up because this was the only other fight in Tony's career that made it to the 5th round). Your idea that he "got his brains turned into mush" is a ridiculous overstatement.

I recommend re-watching the fight with the commentary muted.

Not as evident as JDS vs Cain or some of the other mentioned above, but Rashad Evans was never the same after the Jon Jones fight.
upload_2021-5-17_15-49-24.png

Holloway/Ortega changed Brian's career into evolution it seems
This, I would put this over the Katarr fight because this was stopped in-between rounds and Katarr's wasn't. Plus it did make Ortega evolve. Ferguson should've taken the same amount of time off and re-invented himself similar to what Ortega did.

That title just kicked my hangover into overdrive.

tenor.gif

Back