Social Qualified Immunity and Excessive Force

Surgeons do multiple surgeries per day. You bleed out all the same whether a major artery is severed by a scalpel or a bullet.

It is an expected outcome for a surgeon that he will be sued during his career, and yet he still does his job.

Really you want to compare what a cop in a urban environment goes through daily and what he has to deal with with someone in a controlled environment. Especially now days.

Really you want to compare what a cop in a urban environment goes through daily and what he has to deal with with someone in a controlled environment. Especially now days.
You haven't been in an operating room. Surgical practice is constantly evolving, offering surgeries that could never before be considered due to risk to the patient. But surgeons are humans and as prone to human error as the rest of us. That is why surgeons have literally amputated wrong limbs and left instruments in patients. Have you ever dropped your keys but then caught them before they hit the ground? This is the amount of time that a surgeon has to pinch a bleeding artery before an abdomen fills with blood. Now imagine catching those keys at 4 AM. Surgeons are regularly sued for their mistakes, and yet they still are able to do their jobs.

You haven't been in an operating room. Surgical practice is constantly evolving, offering surgeries that could never before be considered due to risk to the patient. But surgeons are humans and as prone to human error as the rest of us. That is why surgeons have literally amputated wrong limbs and left instruments in patients. Have you ever dropped your keys but then caught them before they hit the ground? This is the amount of time that a surgeon has to pinch a bleeding artery before an abdomen fills with blood. Now imagine catching those keys at 4 AM. Surgeons are regularly sued for their mistakes, and yet they still are able to do their jobs.

So we are going to pay cops near to what surgeons make. Or better yet let's get rid of QI and see where the chips fall.

So we are going to pay cops near to what surgeons make. Or better yet let's get rid of QI and see where the chips fall.
We've already been through this: Nurses (lower paid) also must have their own liability insurance.

And yes, nurses also make life and death decisions. Nurses administer most medications in hospital. An accidental doubling of the morphine dose could kill a patient. Again, multiply the procedure of administering medications by thousands of times per year, and human error will kick in and potentially kill a patient.

We've already been through this: Nurses (lower paid) also must have their own liability insurance.

And yes, nurses also make life and death decisions. Nurses administer most medications in hospital. An accidental doubling of the morphine dose could kill a patient. Again, multiply the procedure of administering medications by thousands of times per year, and human error will kick in and potentially kill a patient.

You keep saying this and thinking the insurance will be no more for a cop which I believe will be wrong.

However if it's so great an idea let one of the major democratic cities go for it. In fact I hope they do. Let's see what happens.

Soldiers don't operate alone in war? They're way more heavily armed? If cops rolled around 12-30 deep with .50 cals mounted on their squad cars, I could see that argument.

And lol at soldiers being held to a higher standard. If you think cops have killed more people on accident than soldiers, I don't know what to tell you.

It's all a political thing in the end. When a Soldier dies in a country overseas it's never a big deal, it doesn't make news headlines.

"They were just doing their job"

So they need to get paid like doctors. Yea that will work put, won't it
Surely the insurance wouldn’t be expensive for the vast majority of cops right? Bc it’s only a few bad apples making all these good cops look bad, so the cops with squeaky clean records won’t pay as much each month.

Besides, malpractice insurance is about 600 bucks a month on average For GP docs

You keep saying this and thinking the insurance will be no more for a cop which I believe will be wrong.

However if it's so great an idea let one of the major democratic cities go for it. In fact I hope they do. Let's see what happens.
If government reimburses the average cost of liability insurance then there is no increase in cost for a cop, a good cop. Bad cops get priced out of business by increasing liability premiums. The government will find the money for reimbursements from savings realized by private liability insurance companies more effectively defending cops in lawsuits.

In terms of the defund the police movement, I can see the idea of liability insurance for police to be popular among Democrats (the political left). But I think that the defund the police movement, among Democrats, is directed towards creating anarchy to allow for revolution and the establishment of communism, which would have a well funded police and full liability immunity.

But the idea of liability insurance for police comes from anarho-capitalism, which is on the political right. The ultimate aim of anarcho-capitalism is private funding of policing. Here is Murray Rothbard (founder of anarcho-capitalism) arguing for liability insurance for police:

Back