Drain Bamage talks tech

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still use my old 60hz TV because mostly play casual games with a controller but got super into playing Apex Legends with mouse and keyboard and kind of want to get a 144hz monitor now.

Main thing is I can't run Apex @ 144hz at all times, the game is usually between 90-130 fps depending on whats going on on screen.

Would I still benefit from getting a 144hz monitor?

Would I still benefit from getting a 144hz monitor?

Yes.

60hz is displaying a frame every 16ms. Your TV is also not designed for gaming meaning the display rate is likely worse. This is compounded by mouse/keyboard movement. Because of the quick movement you'll also notice screen tearing. For the 60hz TV cant keep up with movement input.

Heres a video showing the difference between display refresh rate:

Fortunately for you 144hz monitors have plummeted in price.

keep in mind there's like....hundreds of other games with lower reqs than apex legends and you can run them at 144 too...

One word of warning .. once you go 144hz .. you ruin anything beneath that rate.. for eternity. be warned

One word of warning .. once you go 144hz .. you ruin anything beneath that rate.. for eternity. be warned
I had two very nice 144hrz curved Msi monitors my fucking drug addicted ex stole.

i want a new monitor but I can’t fathom buying anything under 144hrz again.

120-130 fps is still great, not that big of a difference between that and 144, so yeah that would still be a huge advantage over 60 fps.

120-130 fps is still great, not that big of a difference between that and 144, so yeah that would still be a huge advantage over 60 fps.
I'm getting a little older so my eyes aren't the best these days but I can't tell the difference between 120hz & 144hz.

I'm getting a little older so my eyes aren't the best these days but I can't tell the difference between 120hz & 144hz.

The human eye can't see anything over 24fps...

Remember that???

Hmm I wonder if I could. Ive got one monitor that does 100 and another that does 144, and I can feel the difference between those two but thats a much bigger jump

Then of course there are the 240hz monitors lol

Hmm I wonder if I could. Ive got one monitor that does 100 and another that does 144, and I can feel the difference between those two but thats a much bigger jump

Then of course there are the 240hz monitors lol

I should have said I don’t play fast pace twitchy shooters though.

Do these higher framerate and 4K monitors consume significantly more electricity where you need to upgrade your surge protector?

Do these higher framerate and 4K monitors consume significantly more electricity where you need to upgrade your surge protector?
No, it's fine

I got a 165hz monitor two months ago and haven't had any issues

No, it's fine

I got a 165hz monitor two months ago and haven't had any issues

Did ypu get the Asus? I was gonna get the Asus 144hz on Amazon but they literally just stopped selling it and only sell the 165hz model now

Did ypu get the Asus? I was gonna get the Asus 144hz on Amazon but they literally just stopped selling it and only sell the 165hz model now
No mine is the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q, Asus is good though.

So whats the deal with 165hz?
Well I went from 60hz so that jump was huge for me, I don't think the difference between 144hz and 165hz will be much noticeable so going with either one will be a huge upgrade over 60hz.

Got myself a 240hz last year on black friday. 25in 1920x1080. Love it.

With this economic down time seems like a good time its been awhile though. I just like the feeling of a freshly formatted PC. Anybody wanna format PC's with me? <Moves>

Back