Question About Reach

Hamalcar

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been wondering for a while now at what point reach becomes a functional advantage.

I know that in principle a single inch means one can hit and the other can't but given the highly kinetic nature of a fight I'd imagine an inch would be negligible. Am I wrong?

As an out of shape 50 year-old who has been as flexible as rebar since childhood I am unlikely to learn this for myself so I truly appreciate any thoughts.

Much like I tell the women in my life a inch can go a mile... Joking side I always felt like 3 inches and above it becomes a noticeably advantage. You'd need some pretty crazy distance understanding to make use of a single inch.

The shorter and more stocky guy might also have more power, so it can be a trade-off.

The shorter and more stocky guy might also have more power, so it can be a trade-off.

It's completely false... the only advantage of shorter arms is being more comfortable at close distances.

If your arms were as long as those of a T-Rex, you would not generate any striking power...

In termes of fighting, a longer reach is almost better everywhere.

It's completely false... the only advantage of shorter arms is being more comfortable at close distances.

If your arms were as long as those of a T-Rex, you would not generate any striking power...

I didn't say shorter arms I said shorter overall. Because of weight classes being skinny means you can be taller overall, while if you have more muscle you're probably going to be on the shorter side. In general taller guys habe longer reach.

Here is an example:

The skinnier guy is taller, has a longer reach and is super skilled, however he just did not have enough power to hurt the shorter guy. Shorter guy was too strong.

This does not mean it is always better to be shorter and stockier of course, I am just saying there can be a trade-off.

Rocky Marciano had "T Rex" arms

I'm 182 cm with 184 cm wingspan. However my shoulder width is abnormally wide, so it means my arms are actually relatively short. My dad got short legs I think I'm too Torso long.

Results I guess In more strength and power. I'm 182 but weight 117 kg. Don't even look like a very fat guy. At 110 looked in shape. I got excess fat at my mid section and glutes. At 110 kg I can be in good shape. When I was 23 I weighed 84 kg. That was great.

Reach is my favorite advantage. I guess weight and strength too. And expirience. And skill. But having the reach advantage is amazing especially boxing. Now kickboxing things get more even cause of kicks.

I always admire Jones and GSPs abnormal reach. I like to tease them, in my head out of jealousy, and say to myself they got monkey arms. I wish I had that wing span. Well at least I can shoulder block well due to my size. And I got other gifts. Everyone got gifts. Fighting can award any trades. From inteligence to Cardio to speed to creativity or toughness.

I'm 182 cm with 184 cm wingspan. However my shoulder width is abnormally wide, so it means my arms are actually relatively short. My dad got short legs I think I'm too Torso long.

Results I guess In more strength and power. I'm 182 but weight 117 kg. Don't even look like a very fat guy. At 110 looked in shape. I got excess fat at my mid section and glutes. At 110 kg I can be in good shape. When I was 23 I weighed 84 kg. That was great.

Reach is my favorite advantage. I guess weight and strength too. And expirience. And skill. But having the reach advantage is amazing especially boxing. Now kickboxing things get more even cause of kicks.

I always admire Jones and GSPs abnormal reach. I like to tease them, in my head out of jealousy, and say to myself they got monkey arms. I wish I had that wing span. Well at least I can shoulder block well due to my size. And I got other gifts. Everyone got gifts. Fighting can award any trades. From inteligence to Cardio to speed to creativity or toughness.
How old are you now?

I would say it goes on a cline, that each additional inch of reach advantage you have over your opponent has additional functionality. E.g. a 1 inch reach advantage over your opponent might be worth 1x reachbucks, whereas a 3 inch advantage is worth 3x reachbucks, or 10 inch reach advantage is worth 10x reachbucks. So in answer to your question, I think even the smallest reach advantage is still some advantage, but it is hard to put it in words exactly.

Having trained muay thai casually over the years, and can just mention some of my insight. Dudes with noticeably less reach you can keep them at bay with your jab in their face constantly. I am Aussie but lived in Korea and China a few years. Training with smaller dudes a lot of the time who had less reach, when we were sparring their ability to get into range was extremely limited, by peppering them with the jab constantly.

I would just mention that one time I remember sparring an older Chinese dude, who moved around so quickly it neutralised the jab them at bay strategy, and in effect he was so fast that I had no ability to touch him and he kept darting in taking pot shots at me and there was nothing I could do about it. True I am just a casual, but it's kind of interesting how a smaller dude can neutralise the size/reach disadvantage through speed. I remember it being insanely frustrating that despite being much larger, with longer reach, I could not touch the dude to save my life.

In MMA I believe the ability to mix in take downs or engage in grappling neutralises the reach advantage more than in Kickboxing/Muay Thai.

Back