Question about strained muscle

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Didnt post in S+T because its not really related to that, more general health and well being.

I have a pre existing neck/trap/shoulder muscle issue that has sprung up from time to time over the past few years. Its hard to isolate the exact area but its kind of a muscle/muscles on my right trap and shoulder blade.

Yesterday it was really tight and sore. I took a few advil. today its a little better but still sore and very noticable.

Should I do light work outs to get blood flowing or take another day off to let it heal? take more advil today or no?

Ive already used epsom salt baths which helped a little

It's kind of impossible to tell what's going on inside without an MD doing some imaging on your shoulder.

Could be just a strained muscle.

Could be developing arthritis, rotator cuff problems, labrum damage.

If it gets better with rest that's great. If it's better with stretching and massage, great. If it keeps bothering you or coming back over time you should get it checked out.

Epsom salt basically just pulls water out which reduces swelling and any compression due to the swelling / inflammation.

But the inflammation is coming from some kind of damage.

Real question...Did you stop drinking? Dehydration may be an issue.

Real question...Did you stop drinking? Dehydration may be an issue.

Quit working out drunk

yes...I detoxed and Im like 8 days sober now. I have been drinking more water than I ever have in my life and also using electrolyte packets, and pissing non stop. I dont think I am dehydrated

yes...I detoxed and Im like 8 days sober now. I have been drinking more water than I ever have in my life and also using electrolyte packets, and pissing non stop. I dont think I am dehydrated
I'm glad to hear that you are 8 days sober. It may be your body adjusting to you sobriety. Wouldn't hurt to speak with a doctor but I wouldn't be too worried yet. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! Don't let your demons get the best of you.

If it's a spasm or deep knot then try a combo of leaning it against the corner of a wall or doorway, and then see if you can move side to side or in a circle on it once you're hitting it. Or a small hard ball on the ground. Lie on that and dig into it. Massage guns are great but that's an awkward spot to do yourself

I had this issue last year. If it's anything like mine. It's a combination of things. I couldn't pinpoint the exact spot either. It seemed like the whole neck/trap/shoulder area had tight knots all over.

I would say go to see a PT. There are two kinds of PT. There are ones more interested in pain relief vs ones that want to get you more functional for your sport. They offered some stretches and proper way to warm up.

Stay sober all those minor health issues will work out, drink again, and none of them will..Stay Strong….

Didnt post in S+T because its not really related to that, more general health and well being.

I have a pre existing neck/trap/shoulder muscle issue that has sprung up from time to time over the past few years. Its hard to isolate the exact area but its kind of a muscle/muscles on my right trap and shoulder blade.

Yesterday it was really tight and sore. I took a few advil. today its a little better but still sore and very noticable.

Should I do light work outs to get blood flowing or take another day off to let it heal? take more advil today or no?

Ive already used epsom salt baths which helped a little

I get that(weird pain in upper back) from time to time due a bad bed(which is something you may want to check on and perhaps replace if necessary).

I use a foam roller(both a wheel type and a long foam one) to great relief.

I also have a spine board which helps a bit. You can look for one on Amazon there are a lot of different ones. I have an old one where you rest your spine on it and relax into it. It sometimes pops my spine and eases tension/pain in the back.

Stretches and hanging from a pull up bar helps as well.

Back