Questioning my instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I’ve been training at this gym in newark and I’ve trained there before but I left because all the instructor had me do was shadowbox.

now he gave me a schedule which is tues thurs Friday is training days but he wants me to spar on sat and sun. Now I have been having trouble waking up for the thurs session, because it’s at 5.30am but I’ve come for it a few times but all he has everybody do is workout for 2 hrs. And that’s it. And he wants everybody to spar on sat and sun. But I don’t got my sparring gear yet.

should I stick with this guy or just go to another gym because Ik of another one that does more padwork and shit with me in Paterson NJ it’s only 30 mins from me so it’s not bad. But I’m just seriously questioning this shit cuz I feel like he could be doing more with me like teaching me more footwork or just having me do drills.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Just wake up on time, ask to borrow some sparring gear, promise to clean it.

my he sparring gear isn’t the problem. Did you even read the whole OP?

I can get my own sparring gear. But I just want to know if should just ditch this instructor and go for one of my old ones in Paterson?

So I’ve been training at this gym in newark and I’ve trained there before but I left because all the instructor had me do was shadowbox.
Bud this is the reason you should stay lol

Pads pale in comparison, most ppl can't hold pads for shit and use it as a means to keep clients around (being a glorified motivational heavybag is what they do). The only thing go6o pads really provide is a workout, its basically a Tabata (HIIT). Shadow is where your foundation will start, and given your skillset, you really need it: Lack of balance, movement, weight distribution, posture, etc. That's what shadow is there to fix.

Last edited:
my he sparring gear isn’t the problem. Did you even read the whole OP?

I can get my own sparring gear. But I just want to know if should just ditch this instructor and go for one of my old ones in Paterson?

If it wasn't a problem, then there was no point in you bringing it up.

It's your time and money do whatever makes you happy. Maybe the trainer has everyone shadow box and do other workouts for x amount of time before doing other things to see if they are dedicated or to get them to improve technique before doing drills and padwork etc. Also, you should be working footwork during shadowboxing but if you don't know how to maybe ask for some specific things to do while shadowboxing.

Pads pale in comparison, most ppl can't hold pads for shit and use it as a means to keep clients around (being a glorified motivational heavybag is what they do). The only thing goo pads really provide is a workout, its basically a Tabata (HIIT). Shadow is where your foundation will start, and given your skillset, you really need it: Lack of balance, movement, weight distribution, posture, etc. That's what shadow is there to fix.

Ok so then I’ll stay.

Pads pale in comparison, most ppl can't hold pads for shit and use it as a means to keep clients around (being a glorified motivational heavybag is what they do). The only thing goo pads really provide is a workout, its basically a Tabata (HIIT). Shadow is where your foundation will start, and given your skillset, you really need it: Lack of balance, movement, weight distribution, posture, etc. That's what shadow is there to fix.

110%

If you were training with me, I would be getting you to do the same thing @ironkhan57

What are your goals and has the coach helped people achieve those goals before?
I had a guy leave who wanted to have a boxing match. Left after a few weeks because of "too much shadow boxing", went to a no name boxing gym, got a fight in 2 weeks, got his head smashed in and never fought or trained again.

What are your goals and has the coach helped people achieve those goals before?
I had a guy leave who wanted to have a boxing match. Left after a few weeks because of "too much shadow boxing", went to a no name boxing gym, got a fight in 2 weeks, got his head smashed in and never fought or trained again.

I mean I’ll fight a few amatuer fights but not looking to go pro or anything. I just need to know how to fight so that I can defend myself better on the streets

Boxing for self defense..
Is highly usable. boxing plus dirtyboxing also for h2h and this is part from h2h.
Because when someone will come in and throw hooks and half hooks to head in row, death crafts might be not enough effective to evade this.
To throw hook like punch pavian is capable, not alone untrained noob. Unlike normal straight punch or decent jab.

Regards to shadowbox I do not have any hope that khan will even read this text.
This text is for other ppl here.
Shadowbox: guy; why he is doing shadowbox on daily basis as part of his training? He must know every thing here.....he is a champion. advisor; guy, this is part from his work to become what he is. Guy: still this is pussy game here, even worse than point karate. advisor: I don't know what stuff is worse but he is undisputed and you are a dreamer and a beginner here. I do think he maybe knows better because he is undisputed.

Is highly usable. boxing plus dirtyboxing also for h2h and this is part from h2h.
Because when someone will come in and throw hooks and half hooks to head in row, death crafts might be not enough effective to evade this.
To throw hook like punch pavian is capable, not alone untrained noob. Unlike normal straight punch or decent jab.
Naw he needs wing chun and folk Russian systema, not lame unrealistic non street boxing

Naw he needs wing chun and folk Russian systema, not lame unrealistic non street boxing
Really he needs someone that is reputable and can maintain his attention span for provide steady training to keep him busy if not at least a little bit of life lessons. Could be tai chi for all it matters because the most risk khan faces in terms of needing self defense to keep himself alive is getting himself involved with some scumbag again and the scumbag's associates.

Boxing for self defense...I mean better than nothing I guess but boxing is a sport in the end...

yeah it is plus it’s the cheapest fight gyms around boxing gyms are way cheaper then mma gyms.
this.

@ironkhan57 does the guy have fighters under him? Do they win? Did he bring them up from your level and make them better?

Yeah he does he has one amatuer fighter whose undefeated they call him hurricane in the gym. Idk his record tho I would have to ask.

now he gave me a schedule which is tues thurs Friday is training days but he wants me to spar on sat and sun. Now I have been having trouble waking up for the thurs session, because it’s at 5.30am but I’ve come for it a few times but all he has everybody do is workout for 2 hrs. And that’s it. And he wants everybody to spar on sat and sun. But I don’t got my sparring gear yet.

should I stick with this guy or just go to another gym because Ik of another one that does more padwork and shit with me in Paterson NJ it’s only 30 mins from me so it’s not bad. But I’m just seriously questioning this shit cuz I feel like he could be doing more with me like teaching me more footwork or just having me do drills.
For the love of God, if this thread continues it needs to:
- Stay on the topic of striking technique and training
- Not talk about anything else involving Khan's life or personal life
- stay on the topic of striking again

To answer the question:

Stay at the fucking gym you are at for at least 6 months and train , then talk.

If you really want to do more foot work drills there's thousands of videos out there you can watch and learn and practice by yourself.

Commit to training your body, conditioning and skills, not running your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back