Ramon Dekkers Progressive Combinations

Snubnoze707

High Level
@Steel
Reaction score
This may have already been put out there before, but just in case it hasn't or you missed it...

Credit to Combat Sports Academy in Dublin, California for hosting this seminar back in 2010.

ramon-dekkers-csa-8.jpg

DEKKERS “DUTCH” COMBOS

NOTE: Ramon worked a lot of “Progressive” Dutch Style Combos where you build from a base line combo and then keep adding to the combo, so remember where you see a break “/” that means that’s the progress point that we are adding the next section of the progressive combo, i.e., you rep the 1st piece of the combo, then add the 2nd and rep those two pieces together, then add the 3rd piece, etc, etc. Also remember to use those break “/” points as timing or rhythm breaks as well.

Also remember on Dutch Style Partner Drills you are going 1-for-1 with your partner (you go, they go, you go, etc). You are using your gloves as focus mitts, you are not checking kicks, but you defend the body kicks and head kicks as you normally would. Everything is thrown with full power… except for the leg kicks as they are not being checked, but there is a heavy emphasis on body tempering/conditioning in Holland and that should be accomplished/replicated with these drills, i.e., they hurt.

Partner Drills: 1-for-1 (Boxing Only Combos):

1. Left Jab, Right Cross / Right Hook, Left Hook / Right Upper Cut / Right Cross, Left Hook
2. Left Hook, Right Hook (body), Left Hook / Right Hook, Left Hook (body)
3. Double Left Jab, Right Upper Cut / 4 Hooks (Right, Left, Right, Left) / Big Right Hook (almost an overhand)
4. Left Jab, Left Hook / Right Upper Cut, Right Hook

Partner Drills: 1-for-1 (Kicking Combos):

1. Left Hook, Right Leg Kick / Right Hook, Right Leg Kick
2. Right Cross, Left Leg Kick (with step) / Left Hook (set your base & load punch), Right Leg Kick
3. Left Leg Kick (inside-front leg), Right Cross, Left Leg Kick (outside-back leg)
4. Left Teep (foot jab) / Right Upper Cut, Right Head Kick
5. Left Jab, Left Body Kick (switch kick) / Big Right Hook (step in almost overhand) Right Head Kick
6. Catch Right Teep with left hand (allow to hit body) clear the leg across to dead side, Right Head Kick
7. Evade Right Head Kick (lean back), Right Head Kick Counter
8. Right Knee (body), Left Hook, Right Knee to Head (Clinch) / Right Hook, Left Hook, Right Leg Kick
9. Left Knee (body-liver shot), Right Hook, Left Hook (body) / Left Hook, Right Leg Kick
10. Left Jab, Right Cross, Left Jab (drive in on last jab) / Right Upper Cut, Right Cross, Right Head Kick

Kick Drills: On Kick Shields (4 minute round / 2 minutes per leg / 30 seconds per set):

1. Leg Kicks Only: Single Leg Kick (30s)/ 2 Leg Kicks (30s)/ 3 Leg Kicks (30’s)/ 4 Leg Kicks (30’s)- switch legs
2. All Levels: Leg Kicks (30s)/ Body Kicks (30s)/ Head Kicks (30s)/ Leg Kicks (30s)- switch leg

While in the Bay Area, Ramon also did motion capture for a Muay Thai video game that unfortunately never materialized:

Such a shame that game never got made.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I've seen videos from this very seminar.

Such a shame that game never got made.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I've seen videos from this very seminar.
I haven't seen any videos at least. I was there though. It was impressive to see Ramon move up close in person. After all the wars and damage to his body he still looked incredibly quick and agile when doing the demonstrations. Looked like he could have taken out a lot of pro Kickboxers even then. He certainly had an intimidating presence to him.

Biggest takeaway was the combinations that included same side attacks with rhythm breaks really enabled full power and a confusing attack to the defender. Too often people do the generic left right left right combination pattern, which is much easier to defend.

great stuff. love the partner work. Dutch guys got it right with throwing with real intent in the partnered work.
one of my biggest peeves is doing partner work and the other guy hints it means to aim away from me or pull shots. that takes away the real import of the lesson and takes away he work with managing distance and timing.

do they put emphasis on the defense part or is that more imptovised? speaking in boxing terms I think it is helpful to have the defense side explicit especially for low level guys like myself especially with pivots

Another legend I just discovered, Beautiful Combos. Thanks for the video, he along with Ernesto Hoost are 2 legends I'm studying from.

I never liked his style. Its the typical agressive bullrush style so many non-thai fighters try to use. Instead of beating the thais with propper techniques.

Yeah dekker was better at it then the rest. But still the same style

I never liked his style. Its the typical agressive bullrush style so many non-thai fighters try to use. Instead of beating the thais with propper techniques.

Yeah dekker was better at it then the rest. But still the same style
not to be racist but it has been mentioned by older heads that pigmentally challenged populations have a seemingly ingrained tendency to make it a brawl /bum rush vs other more gifted groups who tend be more rhythmically gifted.

I don't agree with it, and there are plenty of counter examples

but it has been said

not to be racist but it has been mentioned by older heads that pigmentally challenged populations have a seemingly ingrained tendency to make it a brawl /bum rush vs other more gifted groups who tend be more rhythmically gifted.

I don't agree with it, and there are plenty of counter examples

but it has been said

It's not genetic, or 'gifts' its cultural basically. In the old days of boxing, black guys would end up having to fight a lot more in order to make ends meet, because they didn't get the same pay days - so they were taught more defensive styles. It was called 'black code'.

This is in boxing mind you, in Muay Thai non-Thai fighters just brawl

It's not genetic, or 'gifts' its cultural basically. In the old days of boxing, black guys would end up having to fight a lot more in order to make ends meet, because they didn't get the same pay days - so they were taught more defensive styles. It was called 'black code'.

that's not even true though... like? I? mentioned there are plenty of counters. and then is it even dig when guy like the rock can be one of the goats when he was an offensive juggernaut

This may have already been put out there before, but just in case it hasn't or you missed it...

Credit to Combat Sports Academy in Dublin, California for hosting this seminar back in 2010.

ramon-dekkers-csa-8.jpg

DEKKERS “DUTCH” COMBOS

NOTE: Ramon worked a lot of “Progressive” Dutch Style Combos where you build from a base line combo and then keep adding to the combo, so remember where you see a break “/” that means that’s the progress point that we are adding the next section of the progressive combo, i.e., you rep the 1st piece of the combo, then add the 2nd and rep those two pieces together, then add the 3rd piece, etc, etc. Also remember to use those break “/” points as timing or rhythm breaks as well.

Also remember on Dutch Style Partner Drills you are going 1-for-1 with your partner (you go, they go, you go, etc). You are using your gloves as focus mitts, you are not checking kicks, but you defend the body kicks and head kicks as you normally would. Everything is thrown with full power… except for the leg kicks as they are not being checked, but there is a heavy emphasis on body tempering/conditioning in Holland and that should be accomplished/replicated with these drills, i.e., they hurt.

Partner Drills: 1-for-1 (Boxing Only Combos):

1. Left Jab, Right Cross / Right Hook, Left Hook / Right Upper Cut / Right Cross, Left Hook
2. Left Hook, Right Hook (body), Left Hook / Right Hook, Left Hook (body)
3. Double Left Jab, Right Upper Cut / 4 Hooks (Right, Left, Right, Left) / Big Right Hook (almost an overhand)
4. Left Jab, Left Hook / Right Upper Cut, Right Hook

Partner Drills: 1-for-1 (Kicking Combos):

1. Left Hook, Right Leg Kick / Right Hook, Right Leg Kick
2. Right Cross, Left Leg Kick (with step) / Left Hook (set your base & load punch), Right Leg Kick
3. Left Leg Kick (inside-front leg), Right Cross, Left Leg Kick (outside-back leg)
4. Left Teep (foot jab) / Right Upper Cut, Right Head Kick
5. Left Jab, Left Body Kick (switch kick) / Big Right Hook (step in almost overhand) Right Head Kick
6. Catch Right Teep with left hand (allow to hit body) clear the leg across to dead side, Right Head Kick
7. Evade Right Head Kick (lean back), Right Head Kick Counter
8. Right Knee (body), Left Hook, Right Knee to Head (Clinch) / Right Hook, Left Hook, Right Leg Kick
9. Left Knee (body-liver shot), Right Hook, Left Hook (body) / Left Hook, Right Leg Kick
10. Left Jab, Right Cross, Left Jab (drive in on last jab) / Right Upper Cut, Right Cross, Right Head Kick

Kick Drills: On Kick Shields (4 minute round / 2 minutes per leg / 30 seconds per set):

1. Leg Kicks Only: Single Leg Kick (30s)/ 2 Leg Kicks (30s)/ 3 Leg Kicks (30’s)/ 4 Leg Kicks (30’s)- switch legs
2. All Levels: Leg Kicks (30s)/ Body Kicks (30s)/ Head Kicks (30s)/ Leg Kicks (30s)- switch leg

While in the Bay Area, Ramon also did motion capture for a Muay Thai video game that unfortunately never materialized:

thanks for posting. Dekkers was my favorite fighter/idol growing up. I have triend to find everything I can of him online. Back in the day only a few fighters were available online. Dekkers being one of them. I have compiled all his padwork vidoes onto my channel. its abou 15 minutes of pads.

Too bad they never made that MT game. would be cool.

That's normal in combat sports, you push the technical fighter by fighting messy and forcing them to play in the mud with you. When technique cannot be relied on, they basically break.

That's given both guys have similar exp

That's normal in combat sports, you push the technical fighter by fighting messy and forcing them to play in the mud with you. When technique cannot be relied on, they basically break.

That's given both guys have similar exp

Sure, but that's also just the farang way with Muay Thai

Back