Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

What size silhouette are we talking?
BIG!

20140820-3-bil.jpg

Not a picture of me personally, but this will give it some scale.

Yesterday was the following.
  • CZ P10C 9mm
  • Guncrafter Industries 1911 .50GI
  • CZ 85 w/Kadet Conversion .22lr
  • Saiga 12 12gauge
  • Home built AR15 5.56
  • Kriss Vector 9mm
  • AR15 Nordic Components Upper .22lr
No paper targets. Just smacking around some steel.

Takeaways.
  • P10C always goes bang. Wife can shoot better with it than me.
  • GI makes a great 1911. Wife wondered why her gun (P10C) isn't as nice. I said $400 vs. $4k.
  • Barely shot the Kadet.
  • Finally decided the Saiga 12 is highly reliable, if I don't use the drums. Not enough spring pressure to overcome the aftermarket LRBHO.
  • AR ran great. Gets hot real fast with the faux suppressor and metal tube handgaurd.
  • Vector is a fun gun in 9mm. Was practicing my close-range controlled pairs.
  • .22lr upper was a bitch all day. Could find a consistent match with ammo and magazine. But hitting a 3" circle at 50 yards with a red dot was no problemo.

So, I was invited to an LE only shoot tonight at my range, it was actually pretty fun; 360 scans (muzzle up), one handed malfuction drills, etc. Felt like being in a Magpul DVD.

We even got to fuck around with one of the new, issued Blackhawk holsters. Everyone else thought it was weird, but it's just a matter of getting used to it, IMO. Still much better than the Serpas.

I just got back from 4 rounds of trap and 2 rounds of skeet with some coworkers and I definitely get the appeal; when it clicks and you're on a roll, you just want to keep going.

I went once, like 8+ years ago and I used my 18.5" 870 with fixed cylinder bore, needless to say, this time out, renting a Browning BT 99, I had a much better time. Gonna try to rent a semi next week and try justify owning one eventually.

Currently scouting my next years deer hunt area.
It will be in a bog rather than oak woods so it will be a new challenge.
Tree stand will need to be set up but i have to take it down daily which is retarded. Deer are fairly plentiful from i gather, a lot of does.

I got back from 4 rounds of trap with my Remington V3; it's a pussy cat, but the action sets off the mic sometimes.

50323D8B-F185-483F-85E6-5CF987E88276.jpeg
top black is draw and one shot. I jacked it up. The small holes is me figuring out the holdover on my AR as we were within 10 yards and my AimPoint is zeroed to 25

0ABD7FCC-1822-4017-BCB5-C43A9BB8EAE0.jpeg
Double taps on the AR. Start low ready on safe, up, off safe, two shots, back on safe and down. Rinse and repeat. Was aiming at the 7. Obviously forgot my holdover.
EC50C4F6-CAE0-42C3-AF99-63F02CFA558F.jpeg Two from the AR (starting at low ready like last target), put on safe and transition to one pistol shot, back to 2 from the AR.

Sighted in and tuned a few guns with cans.

lUx7cXz.jpg

300 blk subsonic is awesome. With the eotech xps2-2 at 100 yards with a 110 tac tx hits center of a 10" plate with the center dot and with 220 subs the bottom dot hits roughly the center of the plate. Bottom of the reticle T lines up perfect for 7 yards.

Did some 100 yard group testing with my .223 and 6.5 cm.

.223 I shot 4 groups, overall I guess I'm happy with them. Generally I want to be .5-.75 moa. Wind really started picking up towards my last group.

8oNlC1Q.jpg

lJCIzyB.jpg

EivirkT.jpg

xBrhza1.jpg

6.5 cm. I did a total of 5 groups. 3 5 shot, 1 6 shot and a 10 shot. For my .4 moa the wind was basically dead but it picked back up after. Then stayed pretty strong right to left. I can adjust for wind but I can't really adjust for my cardboard box moving in the wind. I mean it's not moving that much but when you are trying to get .5 moa it obviously matters.

WwQFaiZ.jpg

TBvJLz4.jpg

lzvroUC.jpg

6 shot on the left is just over an inch and the 5 shot on the right is basically at 1 inch. With a more consistent wind or a solid target I feel they would have been tighter.

10 shot group was going pretty good but I had 2 go high. 8 shots into 7/8" but the 2 bring it up to 1.375

6lziQK6.jpg

Zeroed my 10.5 AR again but with different ammo. Ran smooth, ejecting to the 2 o'clock. Will try to fix that. I'll try a BCM extractor spring upgrade to see if it fixes it.

Took the 7.5 inch 300 black out to 100 with a red dot. It got on target, but was pretty wild. Definitely a 150 yards and in firearm. H2 buffer definitely dampened the punchiness.

Zeroed my 10.5 AR again but with different ammo. Ran smooth, ejecting to the 2 o'clock. Will try to fix that. I'll try a BCM extractor spring upgrade to see if it fixes it.

Took the 7.5 inch 300 black out to 100 with a red dot. It got on target, but was pretty wild. Definitely a 150 yards and in firearm. H2 buffer definitely dampened the punchiness.

Try a heavier buffer in the 10.5 as well.

Tikka T3x - 25 Yard Zero

25 yards, off the bench, so take it for what it is. Still, it zeroed quickly and I'm eager to try it outdoors. 10 rounds total, central target to establish zero, bottom right was a 5-shot group after it was sighted in. Hornady American Whitetail, .308, 165gr InterLock soft point.

Just some archery, shot terribly. After 15 arrows my fingers were arthritic and couldnt hokd the string, no idea why and the following shots after all sucked balls.

CC drills: Grapple range draw and shoot pistol retention drills, Turn/draw/fire, Hands up/draw/fire facing threat.
Movement drills: Figure 8s around two barrels with continuous movement and reload. Sprints between two cones with two targets at each cone and two to each target. Variation was reload during sprint between cones.

Tikka T3x - 25 Yard Zero

25 yards, off the bench, so take it for what it is. Still, it zeroed quickly and I'm eager to try it outdoors. 10 rounds total, central target to establish zero, bottom right was a 5-shot group after it was sighted in. Hornady American Whitetail, .308, 165gr InterLock soft point.

So I don't know if I mentioned how I became a close contact soon after this. I go to shoot this gun at 100+ yards, with my buddy from work and his kid, and I can't hit steel to save my life. Long story short, his kid tests positive and I have a 2 week quarantine shortly after.

Fast forward to today, like 5.5 months later, I finally sight this bitch in at 100:

Middle is the sight in work, top and bottom left corners are mine, the right side is another work buddy; shooting my gun, seated at the bench, at 100 yards.

I later slap the hell out of some steel at 200, she's ready.

It's also not an all-day shooter. After about 3 boxes, it was no longer fun. Man card revoked.

So I don't know if I mentioned how I became a close contact soon after this. I go to shoot this gun at 100+ yards, with my buddy from work and his kid, and I can't hit steel to save my life. Long story short, his kid tests positive and I have a 2 week quarantine shortly after.

Fast forward to today, like 5.5 months later, I finally sight this bitch in at 100:

Middle is the sight in work, top and bottom left corners are mine, the right side is another work buddy; shooting my gun, seated at the bench, at 100 yards.

I later slap the hell out of some steel at 200, she's ready.

It's also not an all-day shooter. After about 3 boxes, it was no longer fun. Man card revoked.

I look back at my days of gleefully shooting the largest possible firearm as an act of proving machismo. And I think, nope. Not anymore, EGR too damn old for all day shoulder blowing fests. Man card revoked long ago at this point lol

I look back at my days of gleefully shooting the largest possible firearm as an act of proving machismo. And I think, nope. Not anymore, EGR too damn old for all day shoulder blowing fests. Man card revoked long ago at this point lol
I never got into magnum rifles; I don't handload, I don't want to pay that much for factory ammo and I don't shoot at big animals. But the Tikka is pretty lightweight, so I find it thumps more than I expect a .308 to. Put like 3 boxes through it yesterday.

<DCrying>

My other buddy from work also got scoped on his first shot. I look over and see the blood dripping from his eyebrow, "Oh shit, I should have warned you about that." I will support whatever lie he tells on Monday.

Back