Rashad vs Shogun in 2009?

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What if the Machida era didn’t exist, and Shogun got a title shot against Rashad in ‘09?

Who would have won? Obviously the mma math doesn’t add up as Forrest beat Shogun who beat Machida who beat Rashad who beat Forrest.

I think Rashad would have taken it. Probably kn the same way he beat Rampage. Ground control and avoiding the big shots.

Probably Rashad. In 2009 Shogun was still adjusting to the Octagon and the rules of the UFC. If he was allowed to use a ring and Pride rules it would be a different story..

l36rkS4.gif

Rashad wins, and loses to Jones next fight.

Shogun wins. Better striking and was great at getting back up vs strong wrestlers.

Reactions: Ruv
Shogun fought Machida in late 2009 and 2010. I'd take Shogun from that time over Rashad.

Now, the Shogun who fought Mark Coleman in early 2009... Not so much

Shogun re-entered his prime in 09. With the Chuck TKO and the Lyoto fights. After that, before Jones, he re-injured his knee again. And it's been overhands since. But before that he was good at getting back up and was arguably the best technical brawler around. And the best finisher. Shogun wins by stoppage.

I'd say Shogun would have taken it.

Great question.
Rashad was no joke back in the day.
I'd say Shad.

Dude had a great double leg and real power in that right hand.

Rashad got wobbled a lot even back then. Shogun catches him

Rashad got wobbled a lot even back then. Shogun catches him

That would be the big issue for me, Rashad would need to land a blockbuster as vs Chuck to finish, Shogun only needs to rock Rashad to have a good chance of finishing.

if i had to pick id think shoguns offensive standup pressure would melt rashad eventually

Back