Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Leon the Professional. Started out as an interesting action movie and then took an odd turn into creepiness and suggestive pedophilia concerning the relationship between Reneau and Portman’s characters. Definitely made things uncomfortable and detracted from my enjoyment of the movie in a big way.

The Marilyn Monroe/Madonna cosplay scene and the “Leon I think I’m falling in love with you” scenes had me going

<{ByeHomer}>

Leon the Professional. Started out as an interesting action movie and then took an odd turn into creepiness and suggestive pedophilia concerning the relationship between Reneau and Portman’s characters. Definitely made things uncomfortable and detracted from my enjoyment of the movie in a big way.

The Marilyn Monroe/Madonna cosplay scene and the “Leon I think I’m falling in love with you” scenes had me going

<{ByeHomer}>

I get what you mean but honestly it didnt bother me so much. I thought it was supposed to indicate a young girl who has a warped view of love because she grew up in an abusive household. I really liked the movie.

I get what you mean but honestly it didnt bother me so much. I thought it was supposed to indicate a young girl who has a warped view of love because she grew up in an abusive household. I really liked the movie.
i think ppl that have that feeling about that movie are weird. i saw it years ago and didnt think much about that

Bodyguard on Showtime 8/10

Needs a reboot and maybe a 007 style franchise with diff bodyguard + hot woman celeb each time.

The house that Jack built (Lars von Trier, 2018) n/d

Can't rate it. I think it's a very good and intense film, but it's just too violent and cruel for me (couple of scenes in particular). I'm not soft, but that was a bit too much, and I watched the censored version too...

Shazaam 4/10

Boring, bad comedy, and they wasted Mark Strong.

Room
- I really enjoyed the concept of this movie and especially the first half. Does a decent job of showing how Larson tries to survive with her son in a small space and how her son is naive to the outside world because his whole universe takes place in a shed.

However the story pretty much concludes halfway through the movie. And the second half goes in a slightly different direction that feels like the opening episode of a tv series.

Final score: 6/10

Raising Arizona
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Arizona
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/raising_arizona
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093822/

9.5/10. I just watched this and it's still great. This early Coen Brothers movie takes dark subject matter like prison and crime and makes it fun by being slapstick and absurd. The fight scene and the big chase are classics. But the best part of the movie is the characters and the actors who play them. Great performances by the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet place part 2

- interesting. First watch it isnt as good as the first. I appreciate what it tried to do however. Cillian Murphy is a good addition and I liked how it made his character different from krasinkis character in the first film, being more of the foil to that kind of character. The maturity and growth of the kids was also a cool aspect. The interactions between the characters were also great.

However I felt like there was less at stake than last time. And the whole movie felt like the middle part of a film. There isnt a definable beggining or conclusion to the film. Also some scenes drag on way too long. I didnt love how they opened the movie but I understand why they did it but Imo the opening was too long. I would've rathered just streamlining the editing as best you can and just starting right where the last one ended. Try to establish backstory with murphys character through dialogue or a quick flashback.

Overall: very good sequel but lacks the caliber of scenes from the original. However, it still made me crave a 3rd movie.

Final score: 7.5/10

Room
- I really enjoyed the concept of this movie and especially the first half. Does a decent job of showing how Larson tries to survive with her son in a small space and how her son is naive to the outside world because his whole universe takes place in a shed.

However the story pretty much concludes halfway through the movie. And the second half goes in a slightly different direction that feels like the opening episode of a tv series.

Final score: 6/10

I thought Larson did a terrific job of showing the frustration of ultimately having to shatter the reality she crafted for Tremblay in order to convince him to participate in the escape. She just really sold the difficulty there- that she had built this facade in a very valiant effort to shield her son from the horror of their situation but then she ultimately has to expose him to the absurdness of some of the very beliefs on which the illusion is built so that she can get them out of there.

Second half certainly loses a step, but I still really liked it because it did a good job of making me feel for her, as she tried to navigate the return to the life that she likely believed she would never see again.

really emotionally impacting movie and performances to me.

The house that Jack built (Lars von Trier, 2018) n/d

Can't rate it. I think it's a very good and intense film, but it's just too violent and cruel for me (couple of scenes in particular). I'm not soft, but that was a bit too much, and I watched the censored version too...

haven’t seen it and I’m sure it’s too offputting for me to want to watch but I do wonder why Matt Dillon doesn’t currently have a bigger career. That’s a dude who can deliver solid work in multiple genres. Funny in comedies. Right at home in thriller/neo noir type films. And also capable of good work in straight up dramas.

I’m not saying he completely fell of (there was this movie recently and the Wayward Pines show), but he’s not around to the extent of the early to late 90s.

haven’t seen it and I’m sure it’s too offputting for me to want to watch but I do wonder why Matt Dillon doesn’t currently have a bigger career. That’s a dude who can deliver solid work in multiple genres. Funny in comedies. Right at home in thriller/neo noir type films. And also capable of good work in straight up dramas.

I’m not saying he completely fell of (there was this movie recently and the Wayward Pines show), but he’s not around to the extent of the early to late 90s.

I agree, he was very creepy in this one

I thought Larson did a terrific job of showing the frustration of ultimately having to shatter the reality she crafted for Tremblay in order to convince him to participate in the escape. She just really sold the difficulty there- that she had built this facade in a very valiant effort to shield her son from the horror of their situation but then she ultimately has to expose him to the absurdness of some of the very beliefs on which the illusion is built so that she can get them out of there.

Second half certainly loses a step, but I still really liked it because it did a good job of making me feel for her, as she tried to navigate the return to the life that she likely believed she would never see again.

really emotionally impacting movie and performances to me.

She did a good job in it. Probably one the better part of the second half is when shes yelling at her parents like a teenager. They did a decent job of not making her overly likeable.

But come on, are we really to believe brie larson couldn't kick down those walls or that steel door?

e328goi6xkq51.jpg

<{ByeHomer}>
Hollywood trying to normalize pedophilia. It's normal

<{ByeHomer}>

Yeah, I think people tend to forget just how prevalent that aspect of the movie is. At it's core, it's a love story between a grown man and a...12 year old girl.

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)
Absolutely unnecessary sequel and nowhere near as good as the first, was not a fan at all.
4/10

Riders of Justice (2021)

Loved this, a lot! Danish movie - Mads Mikkelsen comes home from the military when his wife is killed in a train 'accident'. With the help of a bunch of few weird geeks, they realise it was no accident and they tool up to take on a biker gang responsible. It's really good. The character Emmenthaler was hilarious and heart-warming in equal measure, very pleasantly surprised by this film.
8/10

Back