Rate M Night Shamaylans movies

Favorite M. Night Movie

• Total voters
I didn't know whether I should put that up or not since he didn't direct it

He wrote the 'story' for the film, which is a vague outline and had a screenwriter do a script.

In every one the movies he directs he writes both the story and script.

Don't know if it qualifies in the poll either. Honestly I can't say I'm a huge fan of him, just that one film was excellent.

There is also some good humor in signs if you look for it.

When they first see the alien he wakes up Joaquin and they are gonna chase down Lionel and the wolfington Brothers .

He says, in response to kicking their asses

"Lee is a good friend of mine"
"Good, we will be doing him a favor"

Lmao

giphy.webp

He wrote the 'story' for the film, which is a vague outline and had a screenwriter do a script.

In every one the movies he directs he writes both the story and script.

Don't know if it qualifies in the poll either. Honestly I can't say I'm a huge fan of him, just that one film was excellent.
I thought it was good too. I was happy it was gonna be a trilogy but we haven't seen shit since

Easily sixth sense.

Signs was good for the first 40 minutes or so, then fell off.

Village was good for about 30 mins then fell off.

Unbreakable was good.

Everything else he did sucked.

Easily sixth sense.

Signs was good for the first 40 minutes or so, then fell off.

Village was good for about 30 mins then fell off.

Unbreakable was good.

Everything else he did sucked.
What killed signs for you?

Very well said.

For me, the water plot element was never even close to a deal breaker either. People ridicule it, but the fact is, you could explain that away pretty easily. Maybe they had no idea they were badly damaged by water upon arrival. Maybe by the point they realized it, they still had the hubris to think they could take the resources they wanted from earth before the weakness was widely known.

Regardless, you also make a great point about the "twist." Yes, the thesis certainly seems to involve the old adage that everything happens for a reason- there is meaning in things that appear to have no significance at all. The problem is that the wife's death doesn't really fit that notion, despite it being so integral to Gibson's arc. She basically foretells the confrontation with the aliens and provides the basis for Joaquin (and Breslin by extension) saving their lives. Yet it just did not feel organic. Oh, she had to die so she could have a vision of aliens and how Phoenix could defeat them??

Still, I think it is hands down one of his best films. Though the payoff of that theme does not really work out, I love that scene where Gibson and Phoenix talk about the two types of people- those who have faith and those that believe they are alone. Really solid work their from the actors and well written material from Night himself.

The movie gets a ton of mileage out of the performances, as Gibson, Phoenix, Breslin, Culkin kill it. Also, it's one of Shyamalan's technically best constructed films. Great tension building and execution overall. I'd go higher- probably 7.5 but also have it at the 3 spot for sure.
So I think what hurt the movie the most was when he went into the recruiting office and he explained the entire plot. Leave some room for imagination why don't ya.

I also think this mitigates the water plot, they were just an expeditionary force and not there to conquer yet which is reinforced in the end when they say they thought they were just scouts.

I thought it was good too. I was happy it was gonna be a trilogy but we haven't seen shit since

Probably because it didn't make much money in theaters.

I only heard of it after it was on DVD.

Doubt it would have made a decent trilogy because it was a self-contained story that didn't hint at a sequel.

These type of supernatural antagonists in horror movies don't lend to horror series well. I've never been a fan of the Final Destination movies. The first two were decent but then they became parodies of themselves that seemed like the deaths of characters were punchlines of jokes.

I can't remember which one it was, but two girls burn to death in tanning booths. Um.... but they took far too long to die, and the camera kept showing them screaming. Far too gratutitous, like the editor and director where expecting the audience to enjoy their suffering.

That was also a problem in the later Saw films. Too much suffering/screaming/gore, not enough plot/suspense/character development. Reeked of laziness, like the writers/directors/producers just made the films for an audience they believed they would be satisfied watching people suffer before they die.

Probably because it didn't make much money in theaters.

I only heard of it after it was on DVD.

Doubt it would have made a decent trilogy because it was a self-contained story that didn't hint at a sequel.

These type of supernatural antagonists in horror movies don't lend to horror series well. I've never been a fan of the Final Destination movies. The first two were decent but then they became parodies of themselves that seemed like the deaths of characters were punchlines of jokes.

I can't remember which one it was, but two girls burn to death in tanning booths. Um.... but they took far too long to die, and the camera kept showing them screaming. Far too gratutitous, like the editor and director where expecting the audience to enjoy their suffering.

That was also a problem in the later Saw films. Too much suffering/screaming/gore, not enough plot/suspense/character development. Reeked of laziness, like the writers/directors/producers just made the films for an audience they believed they would be satisfied watching people suffer before they die.
First Saw was amazing, I watched the relaunch in theaters and saw the original, well fucking played. My asshole friend likes to think he knew jigs was in the middle the entire time but that's a lie. I was completely surprised when he got up when I first saw that in theaters.

FD is great, something overlooked is that yeah the middle movies sucked but the last one brought it full circle just like the newest Saws

So what makes sign the most for me are 3 scene's. Besides the obvious birthday party thing.

Beginning when he sees the alien on the roof.

Middle when they hear them "talking" on the monitors.

And the end when he sees something in the distance out rhe window then closes the board. (I like to think he saw them landing and coming towards the farm)

Special mention goes towards cornstalk scene's

First Saw was amazing, I watched the relaunch in theaters and saw the original, well fucking played. My asshole friend likes to think he knew jigs was in the middle the entire time but that's a lie. I was completely surprised when he got up when I first saw that in theaters.

Unpopular Opinion - The 2nd Saw is just as amazing as the 1st.

From then on it was amazingly inconsistent.

3rd was.... 'Okay' but it had alot of lost potential.

4th was surprisingly great, except for a few part. Had two twists that were nearly as good as the first two movie's twists.

5th was.... craptacular.

6th was.... surprisingly good.

6th was.... lets just say I was so damn happy the series ended after that shitshow.

But it wasn't over, apparently. 'Jigsaw' was a copy and paste script of the better parts of the original 7 movies and the directing & editing felt like they were considering making it PG-13.

And, god I hope the series is done after the recent 'Spiral' movie. I hoped they'd put some effort into it with Chris Rock and Samuel L Jackson being in it, but nope, this movie was pretty low-effort.

FD is great, something overlooked is that yeah the middle movies sucked but the last one brought it full circle just like the newest

Oh trust me, its not overlooked.

Just seemed like a lame twist to try to make it seem 'deep.'

Apparently that's the standard of 'deep' in Hollywood horror movies.

Unpopular Opinion - The 2nd Saw is just as amazing as the 1st.

From then on it was amazingly inconsistent.

3rd was.... 'Okay' but it had alot of lost potential.

4th was surprisingly great, except for a few part. Had two twists that were nearly as good as the first two movie's twists.

5th was.... craptacular.

6th was.... surprisingly good.

6th was.... lets just say I was so damn happy the series ended after that shitshow.

But it wasn't over, apparently. 'Jigsaw' was a copy and paste script of the better parts of the original 7 movies and the directing & editing felt like they were considering making it PG-13.

And, god I hope the series is done after the recent 'Spiral' movie. I hoped they'd put some effort into it with Chris Rock and Samuel L Jackson being in it, but nope, this movie was pretty low-effort.
Yeah I wasn't happy with spiral. And I agree with your take on the Saws, I really like how they reached back and tried to connect everything. The Dr Gordon shit kind of fell through for me but they have a shit ton of checkovs guns.

In spiral I knew when that scene popped up with the bodies hanging that it was his buddy. You shouldn't be able to predict a movie that easy.

I think with saw, and Lin and his buddy will admit, is they tried to cash in on the gorn craze at the time. And that hurt the story.

1. Unbreakable
2. Signs
3. Sixth Sense
4. Split

I’m only going as high as 4. I haven’t seen Old. But I’ve seen every other movie of his. The Happening could have been great if he didn’t have dumbass Mark Wahlberg playing a science teacher. I mean, how ridiculous is that? And also, the villain was trees. That was dumb. The atmosphere and creepiness was really great though.

So I just finished signs. Again.

I consider it one of my favorite movies of all time.

Everything in it is deep. If you take out the aliens you get faith vs science debate. And it's great. It's what we fight today.

Do you believe in miracles? Or is everything just a coincidence.

1. Unbreakable
2. Signs
3. Sixth Sense
4. Split

I’m only going as high as 4. I haven’t seen Old. But I’ve seen every other movie of his. The Happening could have been great if he didn’t have dumbass Mark Wahlberg playing a science teacher. I mean, how ridiculous is that? And also, the villain was trees. That was dumb. The atmosphere and creepiness was really great though.
I'm one of the few who liked the happening. Everything about the plot was lame. But I had a profound sense of dread throughout the movie and the suspense and nothing is scarier is what makes the hairs on your arms stand up

And I agree with your take on the Saws, I really like how they reached back and tried to connect everything. The Dr Gordon shit kind of fell through for me but they have a shit ton of checkovs guns.

The writers of Saw 6&7 copied & pasted a fan theory that was onthe 'House Of Jigsaw' forums (which were shut down before the movies came out) since after Saw 2 came out , about how Gordon would capture the Jigsaw-Impostor, Gordon reveals himself to be Jigsaw's apprentice for the past 7 movies, and leave the Jigsaw-impostor in the bathroom at the end of the series.

At first, I thought it was a giant coincidence, but a year later I was listening to Saw 6 with the commentary on, and the writer mentions the 'House of Jigsaw' forums and that's what confirmed it for me.

Can't prove it, since the House of Jigsaw forums have long been shut down, but I know its true.

By the way, it wasn't a popular fan theory. There were always idiots coming in and saying with every new movie 'Gordon is Alive!' and everyone was like 'Shut up, he would have bleed to death within 30 feet of the bathroom. Jigsaw would have left him because he lost the game. Shut up.'

Aug...... goddamn it... the series had so much goddamn potential but of course Lionsgate fucked it up by getting lazy.

The writers of Saw 6&7 copied & pasted a fan theory that was onthe 'House Of Jigsaw' forums (which were shut down before the movies came out) since after Saw 2 came out , about how Gordon would capture the Jigsaw-Impostor, Gordon reveals himself to be Jigsaw's apprentice for the past 7 movies, and leave the Jigsaw-impostor in the bathroom at the end of the series.

At first, I thought it was a giant coincidence, but a year later I was listening to Saw 6 with the commentary on, and the writer mentions the 'House of Jigsaw' forums and that's what confirmed it for me.

Can't prove it, since the House of Jigsaw forums have long been shut down, but I know its true.

By the way, it wasn't a popular fan theory. There were always idiots coming in and saying with every new movie 'Gordon is Alive!' and everyone was like 'Shut up, he would have bleed to death within 30 feet of the bathroom. Jigsaw would have left him because he lost the game. Shut up.'

Aug...... goddamn it... the series had so much goddamn potential but of course Lionsgate fucked it up by getting lazy.
Well..like I said the creators got lazy because of the gore cash In at the time. It ruined the story they were trying to tell

I guess the biggest problem for me with signs Is these aliens went across billions of light years to get here.

And can't open pantry doors

In spiral I knew when that scene popped up with the bodies hanging that it was his buddy. You shouldn't be able to predict a movie that easy.

Honestly, I stopped caring about the movie long before that, basically when it was revealed it wad just a Jigsaw-copycat with no relation to the other movies.

What happened to Gordon?

What happened to the pathologist from 'Spiral?'

And this new villian was amazingly.... boring. Nothing interesting about him whatsoever.

I didn't watch 'Jigsaw' until a week before 'Spiral' and I think I'm going to completely skip out on any Saw-related movies for now on.

Back