Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

27. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Jackson’s 2018 performance backed up our pre-draft scouting report perfectly. As a passer, he can get through progressions and sprinkle in NFL-caliber throws, but his throw-by-throw accuracy is still below NFL standards and last among qualifiers in accuracy percentage and clean pocket PFF grade. However, Jackson’s dynamic rushing ability was put to good use in the designed running game where he led the league with 550 yards, more than double the next closest quarterback. Jackson’s rushing ability should be used to open up a higher percentage of open throws, and that will be his secret to mitigating the accuracy concerns and achieving the pass-game production needed to put up points in today’s NFL.
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankings-nfl-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

----

Wonder what they'll rank him after a Super Bowl win?

Preseason Week 3 vs. Eagles

OFFENSE:

Mark Andrews - 88.4
Jaleel Scott - 83.7
Nick Boyle - 75.1
Jaylen Smith - 73.9
De'Lance Turner(HB) - 70.9
Michael Floyd - 66.8
Trace McSorley - 65.1
Joe Callahan - 65.0
Bradley Bozeman - 63.3
Marquise Brown - 62.6

DEFENSE:

Kenny Young - 86.7
Cyrus Jones - 77.6
Daylon Mack - 76.6
Brandon Carr - 73.2
Chris Wormley - 72.3
Marlon Humphrey - 71.1
Tim Williams - 70.3
Donald Payne (MLB) - 69.6
Nicholas Grigsby (MLB) - 67.8
Brynden Trawick - 67.2
Tyus Bowser - 66.0
Michael Pierce - 65.6
Earl Thomas III - 65.4

Ravens adding another Linebacker https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27445540/source-ravens-intend-sign-lb-worrilow

"OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens intend to sign veteran inside linebacker Paul Worrilow on Friday, according to a source.

The deal is contingent on Worrilow passing a physical.

Worrilow, 29, provides experienced depth at the inside linebacker position, where the Ravens' top three players (Patrick Onwuasor, Chris Board and Kenny Young) have a combined 29 starts. Cut by the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, Worrilow has started 52 career games in five seasons, playing for the Detroit Lions and Atlanta Falcons.

He didn't play for the Eagles last season after tearing his ACL in an organized training activity in June, and he was sidelined in training camp this year with a swollen knee.

While playing college football at Delaware in 2011, Worrilow made headlines when he donated peripheral blood stem cells to help a 23-year-old woman with leukemia. He had signed up for the school's bone-marrow program four months earlier."

69055281_467963960601949_5048830491348697088_n.jpg

Nice. People are fucking HYPED for Miles Boykin and Hollywood Brown. I hope Miles eliminates his drops bc Ravens fans have had too many drops to be forgiving to even a rookie... but I think Hollywood is going to be elite and we have him for at least 5 years :) !!

For comparison, Lamar Jackson's QBR last year was 46.2. I'm predicting it will be in the 70's this season.

The main thing I'm worried about is the pass rush, which is a big thing to be worried about.

Here is the Ravens' first 53-man roster of the 2019 season:
QB (3): Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley
WR (6): Willie Snead, Hollywood Brown, Miles Boykin, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott, Seth Roberts
RB (3): Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill
TE (3): Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Hayden Hurst
OL (9): Ronnie Stanley, Bradley Bozeman, Matt Skura, Marshal Yanda, Orlando Brown, James Hurst, Ben Powers, Patrick Mekari, Greg Senat
DL (5): Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Chris Wormley, Patrick Ricard, Daylon Mack
LB (9): Matthew Judon, Patrick Onwuasor, Chris Board, Pernell McPhee, Tyus Bowser, Kenny Young, Jaylon Ferguson, Tim Williams, Otaro Alaka
DB (12): Marlon Humphrey, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, Tony Jefferson, Earl Thomas, Chuck Clark, DeShon Elliott, Anthony Levine, Anthony Averett, Biggie Marshall, Cyrus Jones, Justin Bethel
ST (3): Justin Tucker, Sam Koch, Morgan Cox

Of the 27 players selected by Ravens in past three drafts, 23 are on Baltimore's initial 53-man roster (85.1 percent). This includes all eight picks from this year's draft. Only picks since '17 gone: WR Jordan Lasley, DE Zach Sieler, G Nico Siragusa and G Jermaine Eluemunor.

--Jamison Hensley https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens

The only thing that sucks is that Tavon Young went on season ending IR along with Kenneth Dixon. It sucks twice as much bc Tavon just got paid pretty nicely and now can't contribute again for the 2nd time in 3 seasons.

70187563_471408936924118_3391989248520355840_n.jpg

Interesting. I thought Kelechi was with OAK, guess not.

This is good news

great news:

Need Humphrey to get on that Jimmy Smith level or even better and stay there.

Of the 27 players selected by Ravens in past three drafts, 23 are on Baltimore's initial 53-man roster (85.1 percent). This includes all eight picks from this year's draft. Only picks since '17 gone: WR Jordan Lasley, DE Zach Sieler, G Nico Siragusa and G Jermaine Eluemunor.

Last edited:
Ravens 59-10 Dolphins
Season: 1-0

The Ravens looked great in their opening season game. The main thing we were all looking for was how Lamar Jackson would play in regular season action... he blew away every expectation. I thought he would be great this year and he WAS. REALLY GREAT, better than even I thought. I said he'd be better than Joe Flacco this season, but he wasn't only better than Flacco, he looked elite by any measurement. He was dropping bombs on the dolphins, escaping from pressure and hitting receivers and tight ends, perfect spirals and perfect ball placement for the entire 3 quarters he played.

To my eye I didn't see but maybe 1 bad throw and 1 drop. Other than that the Ravens passing offense was great. 'Hollywood' Brown was excellent running deep routes, Miles Boykin caught a TD, Mark Andrews was his usual productive self, and Hayden Hurst looked good as well. Oh, and the rushing offense was awesome too, rushing for over 200 yards. Mark Ingram looked great this game, bursting out for a huge gain to kick things off.

They'll see a better team next week, but I expect to see the same level of play from Lamar Jackson and the offense.

"
Lamar Jackson posted a Total QBR of 99.4 today." -espn.com

The only thing I'm worried about is Jimmy Smith's injury (knee). The Ravens face some stacked receiver corps this year, they're gonna need all their CBs.

Last edited:
Ravens 59-10 Dolphins
Season: 1-0

The Ravens looked great in their opening season game. The main thing we were all looking for was how Lamar Jackson would play in regular season action... he blew away every expectation. I thought he would be great this year and he WAS. REALLY GREAT. He was dropping bombs on the dolphins, escaping from pressure and hitting receivers and tight ends, perfect spirals and perfect ball placement for the entire 3 quarters he played. To my eye I didn't see but maybe 1 bad throw and 1 drop. Other than that the Ravens passing offense was great. Oh, and the rushing offense was awesome too, rushing for over 200 yards. Mark Ingram looked great this game, bursting out for a huge gain to kick things off.

They'll see a better team next week, but I expect to see the same level of play from Lamar Jackson.

"
Lamar Jackson posted a Total QBR of 99.4 today. That's the best Total QBR game since Joe Flacco in week 6 of 2014." -espn.com

Hope he can keep that up, he played flawlessly. Guess we will see how much of that was the dolphins sucking next week

"To put Jackson's day in context, we can take a look at the NFL's Next Gen Stats, which build an expected completion percentage for each pass attempt based on the locations and movement of each of the 22 players on the field at the time the ball is thrown. If the Dolphins were just leaving receivers open for easy throws, we would see a high expected completion percentage for Jackson's passes. Instead, Next Gen Stats projected that Jackson would have completed 60.2% of his throws on Sunday, which ranked as the sixth-lowest expected completion percentage for any quarterback in Week 1. In other words, Jackson actually faced a pretty difficult slate of throws across his 20 attempts.

Jackson instead completed 85% of his pass attempts, good for the largest gap between expected and actual completion rate during the opening week of the season. His completions were difficult, in part, because his average pass traveled nearly 12 yards in the air. His three incompletions included a narrowly overthrown bomb to Marquise Brown and a drop in the red zone by Willie Snead.

Watch the actual throws Jackson made and you can see what I'm talking about. The 83-yard touchdown pass Jackson threw to "Hollywood" Brown is a good example. Brown has top-tier NFL speed, but this is a rookie who wasn't healthy for most of camp playing in his first NFL game, and he's matched up out of a reduced split against Fitzpatrick, who was one of the league's most promising rookie corners a year ago. When Jackson lets go of the pass, Next Gen Stats projects it has a 32% chance of completion. Jackson isn't supposed to have a rapport with Brown yet, but he throws an absolutely, positively perfect pass. Brown doesn't have to break stride, which is the difference between this going as a long completion (or a possible incompletion) and a touchdown.

The second Brown touchdown wasn't the only such throw. Jackson lofted a perfectly thrown pass to Snead up the seam for a 33-yard score. Those two throws gave Jackson all day to throw, but when the Ravens went empty and ran five verticals, Jackson stayed upright under pressure and delivered a pinpoint strike to Mark Andrews for 39 yards. Later, Jackson improvised under pressure and found Hayden Hurst for a 23-yard completion with both Reshad Jones and Christian Wilkins bearing down."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27572572/barnwell-week-1-five-most-surprising-qb-performances

Great piece putting Jackson's throws in perspective (he looks even better statistically than he did to our eyes).

PFF Grades:

Offense:

Marquise Brown - 94.1
Mark Andrews - 93.9
Lamar Jackson - 92.5
Nick Boyle - 77.2
Anthony Levine (LOL, safety) -74.4
Hayden Hurst - 73.8
Mark Ingram II - 72.9
Willie Snead IV - 68.0
Bradley Bozeman - 67.8
Miles Boykin - 66.2
Orlando Brown Jr - 65.3
Justice Hill - 63.6
RG3 - 63.6
Patrick Ricard - 63.1
Gus Edwards - 62.6
Patrick Mekari - 60.6
Ronnie Stanley - 60.2

Defense:
ET3 - 90.9
Pernell McPhee - 85.9
Michael Pierce - 83.5
Marlon Humphrey - 81.8
Tyus Bowser - 77.2
Chuck Clark - 71.8
Chris Board - 70.5

Brandon Williams - 70.3
Tim Williams - 70.2
Tony Jefferson - 66.5
Jimmy Smith - 65.0
Brynden Trawick - 64.4
Chris Wormley - 64.0
Anthony Levine - 63.1
Matt Judon - 63.0
Justin Bethel - 61.8
Cyrus Jones - 61.6
DeShon Elliot - 61.3
Anthony Averett (Jimmy Smith's replacement) - 58.8
Patrick Onwuasor - 58.3
Patrick Ricard - 52.7
Brandon Carr - 51.5
Kenny Young - 50.1

Ravens 23-16 Cardinals
Season: 2-0

Pretty good game. I felt the absence of Tavon Young and Jimmy Smith at times, which worries me about the game next week at KC. Lamar looked great all game long, mixing in a ton of runs with his passing game. This was a surprisingly close game, so Jackson really had to do everything he did to eek out the win. I don't have too much to say, Hollywood looked good again, Boykin dropped a pass, Andrews was dominant again, Hurst looked OK.. I think we'll be seeing a lot of this throughout the year: the offense will look different each week depending on what the opposing defense wants to give up.

PFF Grades

Offense:

Mark Andrews - 89.7
Lamar Jackson - 82.1
Marshal Yanda - 82.1
Nick Boyle - 74.7
Ronnie Stanley - 73.4
Marquise Brown - 70.8
Patrick Ricard - 69.6
Matt Skura - 65.9
Justice Hill - 63.8
Mark Ingram II - 63.4
Orlando Brown Jr - 62.6
James Hurst - 60.0
Hayden Hurst - 56.5
Chris Moore - 54.7
Bradley Bozeman - 54.7
Miles Boykin - 52.2

Seth Roberts - 51.7
Willie Snead IV - 51.6
Gus Edwards - 50.7

Defense:
Pernell McPhee - 82.9 (great to see him grading high)
Earl Thomas III - 81.4
Michael Pierce - 81.1
Tyus Bowser - 80.0
Brandon Carr - 78.1
Matthew Judon - 76.1
Chuck Clark - 71.8
Tony Jefferson - 68.5
Maurice Canady - 66.6
Patrick Ricard - 67.0
Marlon Humphrey - 66.6
Anthony Levine Sr - 65.6
Chris Wormley - 65.4
Jimmy Smith - 65.0
Brynden Trawick - 64.4
Justin Bethel - 61.8
Tim Williams - 61.7
DeShon Elliot - 61.3

Brandon Williams - 60.0
Cyrus Jones - 55.7
Kenny Young - 54.3
Patrick Onwuasor - 54.0
Chris Board - 48.3
Anthony Averett - 46.5

I was supremely bothered by the play of the secondary yesterday. They looked like the weak spot on the defense. I can understand having trouble with the slot at times, especially if quick cut guys are in there, but they were just leaving guys open downfield by 10-20 yards. Most of Murray's big pass plays were terrible duck throws that he just lobbed up there. Sometimes the receiver was so open it didn't matter, others the DBs just didn't seem to find the ball and didn't make a play on it. Most of them should have been broken up if not picked outright. Credit where it's due, they had several possessions where they were locked in and that included the final minutes after Arizona made it a one possession game, but they were pissing me off all day. I don't know if it's the zone scheme or the personnel, but they played some of the worst zone I've ever seen a Ravens team play yesterday. They were mostly fine in man coverage.

The defensive line and OLBs played well yesterday, but I worry it's mostly due to a shit OL for the Cards. They'll be tested much harder next week.

Back