Recent work - Snatches, Cleans, Squats...

Shadiata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
No comps slated in near future...so just grinding away on a new 4 day a week program. Overall good...ups and downs on volume but to be expected. BW sitting at 80kg right now.

Couple snatches from last week...worked up to 75kg in the session but no vid.

Back squat from same session - worked up to heavy triple at 3 hundo

https://youtu.be/YOwn9CJ7RjQ

Power cleans from last week. 96kg for double. 98kg for single (missed the second)

Hoping to get in a meet here in the next month or so in order to qualify for either Pan Am's or 2022 Masters Nationals. My wife lifted in Orlando at Nationals and PR'd her snatch and total. Great day for her...was fun to watch it all come together. Majority no-lift on her last Clean and Jerk...would have given her total for Pan Am's. Lift was close, but a press out.

96 power clean looked effortless. 98 was smooth too. You could slap on another set of yellow

96 power clean looked effortless. 98 was smooth too. You could slap on another set of yellow
Thanks man. ALways a mental game pulling them off the floor and going for it. Watching them on video they look lighter than they feel. Definitely feeling better every week and power cleans feeling good. Hit 100kg for double (squat) on Thursday (2 days after). Just need to keep after it.

Good week so far. Will see how heavy singles go tomorrow. Hoping snatches are on as I'd like to shoot for that BW lift. Clean jerks goal is 100kg+

Clean doubles yesterday to 100kg...a lot of lifts from 82-95% on way up. Heavy pull triples to 113kg, triple Front squats to 115kg...ended with Pendlay rows 3x8.

Don't let the wife beat your numbers.

Don't let the wife beat your numbers.
lol - sadly enough the top female 49kg lifters make me look a weak fool!

Snatches not great last night. 50-55-60-65-70-75-81 (miss 3x - bigger jump than normal, just went for it). 55 and 60 were just shaky but got better after.

75kg here.

Clean and jerks pretty good. Worked up fast. 40-50-60-70-80-90-100-105. No misses. Coach wanted me to get after 110kg...pretty sure it's there but had goal of 180kg total for night and left it at that.

105kg here

Good form and depth on the squat Holmes.
Looks like a nice communal gym set up too.

Do you program pause back squats and snatch push press at all? I've found that they correlate quite well with the lifts.

Do you program pause back squats and snatch push press at all? I've found that they correlate quite well with the lifts.
This last time around, I did not do much pause work on my squats (it was more 5 rep then down to 3 rep during the program) and I was squatting 3x a week (back 2x, front 1x) with one of those days being lighter percentages but some higher reps. I do like pause squats and definitely get them into my program throughout the year.

I also did have snatch push presses in this cycle. It started out as 3x5+1 (the 1 being an OHS) for 3 weeks. It was accessory work after snatching. I really dislike re-racking via back rack as it got a bit heavier so I changed it up to a mix of 2 snatch push presses, plus a snatch push jerk plus 1 or 2 OHS. I basically did this and increased load a bit which helped cut down on re-racking. The final week it was 5 sets of just one push press, one jerk, one OHS.

I've since laid off the olympic specific programming and have been doing more GPP with some lifting mixed in. Back squats are all tempo (3 second descent) with higher reps and short breaks in between sets (ex - last week was 8x6 on the 90 seconds...so not a lot of recovery but also not SUPER heavy. Was still challenging).

@Shadiata

I know this is off topic but what am I looking for in terms of overhead stabilization in the snatch? Doing some rn and feels very shaky overhead with some shoulder pain. I'm sure I need to work on mobility also.

@Shadiata

I know this is off topic but what am I looking for in terms of overhead stabilization in the snatch? Doing some rn and feels very shaky overhead with some shoulder pain. I'm sure I need to work on mobility also.

Hard to comment without seeing how your overhead position looks. Having some level of pain is never a good thing.

Mobility - for sure. When I started olympic lifting I could not overhead squat a PVC pipe, forget about snatching. I recommend time with a lacrosse ball and roller targeting delts (front/rear), scapula, triceps and pecs. Taking the roller and getting your lats every chance you get (from armpit to lower lat). This is just one part as to me, the other big area is using bands for warm up and stabilization. Tons of banded movements yuo can do to aid in shoulder stability.

For some exercises, I like Kettlebell or dumbell waiter walks or use a barbell or axel bar and do overheead carries, focusing on driving the weight up (good extension/stability) and not allowing it cause your shoulders or arms to bend or bounce if that makes sense.

Get comfortable with light weights in snatching or Overhead squats. Position and technique are everything in this movement

Back