Recently tore my ACL

It had probably took me about 5-6 months before I felt I could go back to what I was previously doing. This was 23 years ago, though.
This is comforting to hear. Recently, I had issues with my meniscus for 5-6 months where my knee would lock up. Not so much now, but still very cautious.

Thank you all for the encouraging comments and recovery information.

Saw the Surgeon this past Monday and we have a date for August 6th. My buddy who is a Physical Therapist and who also does BJJ will be doing my PT. Told him this could be his payback for all the times I choked the shit out of him. Apparently the Surgeon specializes in ACL because my Co-Worker's daughter had her ACL reconstructed after a Soccer mishap by him. Actually, several of the girls in the league have seen this same doctor. Everyone says recover is 5 months minimum and PT is the key.

I'm trying my best not to get too Blue. I've been doing BJJ consistently for 8 years and going cold turkey is tough. The team still stays in contact and send well wishes but damn I miss being on the mats. I'm also concerned that at 55, my recovery won't be as effective as others but, it is what it is.

Well, I'll keep this thread updated if you're interested.

Cheers!

So last week I tore my ACL. I was rolling and had my knee pop. Got an X-Ray, nothing broken. Got an MRI, left knee has "Ruptured ACL". I don't really want to have surgery but the impression the Ortho PA gave me is that, if I wanted to compete I'd have to have it worked on.
It's been over a week now and I'm about 80%. A little fluid behind the knee cap and a little sore on the left and right of the knee. I ordered a compressing sleeve for my knee and plan to return to BJJ in a week or 2.

I'm just looking of experiences and based on that, recommendations. My experience with surgeons is that they want to cut.

I do work with ACL patients all the time and am a pt so I am not naturally pro surgery but in this case if the doc tells you its necessary ,the lost stability factor will lead to permanent arthrosis in your knee joint no matter compression sleeve...etc . If you trust the surgeon do it , make a slow methodical recoveryafter and then you can continue to do all the sports you like. BJJ again only in 2022 if you like your knee.

Had a LCL injury, grade 2. Dr said those can take up to 6 months to fully heal but I was pain free after about 6 weeks and felt fine enough to roll normally after 4 months

I tore my ACL end of January in wrestling practice , it was a super weird incident as it happened in the middle of training after some good sparring rounds , well warmed up etc. My partner was going for the single leg (no takedown, just live drilling of entries) , I stepped back with my other leg diagonally and felt my knee buckle , kinda popping out and back in. It was painful but not unbearable and only hurt for a minute or so. I went straight to the hospital, got an x-ray , went home on crutches.

After 3 or days physio came to see me, initially thought that I had maybe a grade 1 or 2 injury to my acl , the range of motion was pretty bad, I was still limping , however I didn't have that much (if any) swelling .

After 2 weeks he came back and the range of motion was much better but the leg felt a little unstable and just weird, like it wasn't mine , also the lachmann test showed quite a bit difference between both knees.

Around the 3 or 4 weeks time I got the MRI done privately , got a call 2 days later saying that I had a fully ruptured acl , apart from that there was a little bone bruising but all the other ligaments/structures were fine .

I've back training and rolling since 2 weeks and so far so good. My leg is fairly stable and I opted not to go under the knife. Any kind of stand up is out of question but as long as I can do bjj I'm happy. I know plenty of jitz guys that tore their acls and opted not to have surgery with the good effect. The newest research suggest the outcome is the same with or without surgery after 5 years, sometimes even better without. I spoke to the experienced orthopedic surgeon recently and he told me that the arthritis in the knee is a lottery and it doesn't matter if you get an op or not, if you were meant to have it you will have it.

He also told me to work heavily on muscles and proprioception and I can easily live without it.

Whatever you decide to do good luck and speedy recovery.

*** UPDATE***
Last week I had all my Pre-Op tests and during my EKG they found an "Inverted T wave". I was referred to the Cardiologist for cardiac release.
This past Friday I did a stress test using medication and an Echocardiogram. The Stress test felt freaky. I felt like I ran a 9 min mile in 30 seconds. Later that day the reports came out and with some googling and my uneducated medical knowledge it looks like I have a leaky Myocardial valve. Stress test result is normal. I shared the report conclusions with a Dr buddy said it's not really bad for a dude my age (55). The Cardiologist released me for surgery so everything is on schedule for this Friday.

Last edited:
This seems like a place to moan and groan, so I will, because I want to.

Oct. 2020, some spazzy blue belt ripped an "ankle pick" from my knee cut pass, which I realize in retrospect was like doing a heel hook with a rowboat motion. My knee popped, then I fell down, my knee popped and then he fell and top of me, and there were like 2 more pops. I was in horrible pain and couldn't walk.

Turned out I tore my LCL off the bone, my ACL was totally torn (reconstruction), my MCL was 80% torn (repairable), my PCL was torn (40%, sprain), my thigh and calf muscles were torn from the stress, and one of my menisci was blown out. The doctor asked me if I was in a motorcycle accident when he first saw my MRI.

Surgery, Nov. 2020. Walking again, Feb. 2021. Cleared to train LIGHT, July 2021. Future path is full clearance to roll "hard" Nov. 2021 (though if I'll be brave enough, who knows). Expected full, 100%, feel great recovery, Nov. 2022.

Shit sucks, but there's a way through it. I've had to ask myself some really hard questions ("why do I do this, do I want to keep doing this, will I keep doing this, is it a waste for a 2nd degree black belt to quit, etc."). I don't think there's any shame in quitting a sport that's hurting you, but you also have to weigh out yourself as a person. Unfortunately Jiu Jitsu is the only sport I've ever been mediocre at, so I keep coming back to it like an abused wife.

...Unfortunately Jiu Jitsu is the only sport I've ever been mediocre at, so I keep coming back to it like an abused wife.
^ #PREACH

I just got my Brown back in Dec 2020. I was finally feeling "at Belt level". Purple was a rough 4 years of self-doubt. I was hoping for Black in 3 years but wondering if my goal of 1 stripe black worth it.

Kinda related anecdote: a friend of mine had a ''bad'' knee from basketball in high school. She had to be careful with it, but most of the time she was a monster athlete. Did all kinds of sports, we'd go trail running and play squash all the time. One day her knee gave out completely and when she went to see the doc he told her she hadn't had an ACL for about 10 years. She had enough muscle around her knee to stabilize it so she never noticed.
Holy shit. So did they reattach it, give her a cadaver one or something?

Holy shit. So did they reattach it, give her a cadaver one or something?

Not sure, it's been too long. It doesn't end too well either, her other ACL gave out a few months after her first surgery and now she has limited mobility in both knees. It's fairly common from what I've heard.

Y
Not sure, it's been too long. It doesn't end too well either, her other ACL gave out a few months after her first surgery and now she has limited mobility in both knees. It's fairly common from what I've heard.
Yeah, when I hurt my right LCL, after 6 weeks or so off, the FIRST TIME BACK ON THE MAT, I hurt my fucking LEFT knee. For no apparent reason. Made me so mad. I wasn't even doing anything weird, it just popped out, and I knew right then it was fucked up. I have a temper sometimes and I was walking around cursing loudly, people thought I was mad at someone. Nah, just mad at the piss poor design of the human body.

Y

Yeah, when I hurt my right LCL, after 6 weeks or so off, the FIRST TIME BACK ON THE MAT, I hurt my fucking LEFT knee. For no apparent reason. Made me so mad.

Parallel lives. The first day back to BJJ after 9 months rehab from repairing my left lateral meniscus I tore my right sitting down funny as I tried to keep weight off the other leg. FML. (This was nine years ago now and I've since totally shredded both knees to avoid any appearance of favoritism.)

Day 4 post surgery.
Had my surgery last Friday. Went to the surgery center, checked in and within 30 min I was prepped and wheeled into the operating room. The anesthesia SUCKED!! Felt like they were pushing liquid fire through my vein. Although it only lasted about 5 seconds, it fucking hurt!

First day wasn't so bad. Had a nerve block on my leg and could feel it. Took about a day and half to wear off. They sent me home with Percocet and as the nerve bock wore off I started taking them every 4 hours or so. As the Block wears off it get more difficult to find a comfortable position lay on. I never lost control of the pain. I learned that it takes an hour for the pain meds to kick in so if you don't stay ahead of it, life will be sucking hard.

Monday rolled around and went to my Post-Op follow-up. The Physician Assistance took my gauze off and there was quite a bit of swelling. He placidly suggested draining it but I've had enough of needles for a while. The Doctor came in and explained that they grafted the cadaver ACL as well as trimmed a bit of my Meniscus and removed some Arthritis from the back of my knee. The Dr was a bit more enthused about draining it but I'll let it drain on its own. They want me moving this knee as much as possible. I mean, they gave me the impression I was already behind. There's still a lot of pressure behind the knee from the swelling so I'm not killing myself. I can't take any Anti-Inflammatories for a least another week.
My buddy that's a Physical Therapist stopped by and gave me machine similar to a TENS to stimulate the Quads so it'll push, along with the ice, the liquid from the knee. Apparently the muscles in your leg, particularly the Quads, "disconnect" due to the trauma of surgery and now have to relearn how to play with each other. There's a lot going on that I was oblivious to regarding this surgery.

Overall, surgery SUCKS.

I went from blue belt to second degree black with no acl and competed regularly. Lately it has caught up to me with continued meniscus issues due to instability but prior to that I was able to work around it pretty well.

Y

Yeah, when I hurt my right LCL, after 6 weeks or so off, the FIRST TIME BACK ON THE MAT, I hurt my fucking LEFT knee. For no apparent reason. Made me so mad. I wasn't even doing anything weird, it just popped out, and I knew right then it was fucked up. I have a temper sometimes and I was walking around cursing loudly, people thought I was mad at someone. Nah, just mad at the piss poor design of the human body.
Day 4 post surgery.
Had my surgery last Friday. Went to the surgery center, checked in and within 30 min I was prepped and wheeled into the operating room. The anesthesia SUCKED!! Felt like they were pushing liquid fire through my vein. Although it only lasted about 5 seconds, it fucking hurt!

First day wasn't so bad. Had a nerve block on my leg and could feel it. Took about a day and half to wear off. They sent me home with Percocet and as the nerve bock wore off I started taking them every 4 hours or so. As the Block wears off it get more difficult to find a comfortable position lay on. I never lost control of the pain. I learned that it takes an hour for the pain meds to kick in so if you don't stay ahead of it, life will be sucking hard.

Monday rolled around and went to my Post-Op follow-up. The Physician Assistance took my gauze off and there was quite a bit of swelling. He placidly suggested draining it but I've had enough of needles for a while. The Doctor came in and explained that they grafted the cadaver ACL as well as trimmed a bit of my Meniscus and removed some Arthritis from the back of my knee. The Dr was a bit more enthused about draining it but I'll let it drain on its own. They want me moving this knee as much as possible. I mean, they gave me the impression I was already behind. There's still a lot of pressure behind the knee from the swelling so I'm not killing myself. I can't take any Anti-Inflammatories for a least another week.
My buddy that's a Physical Therapist stopped by and gave me machine similar to a TENS to stimulate the Quads so it'll push, along with the ice, the liquid from the knee. Apparently the muscles in your leg, particularly the Quads, "disconnect" due to the trauma of surgery and now have to relearn how to play with each other. There's a lot going on that I was oblivious to regarding this surgery.

Overall, surgery SUCKS.
Get well soon man, I'm sure it's a difficult time and doing any bjj seems like a distant dream at the moment , but you know you'll slowly get your fitness back, just take it day by day

Back