Recommendations where to start with Stephen King books?

rex kramer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's getting to be that spooky time of year, and this year I want to finally read a Stephen King book.

I've seen pretty much all the movies based on his work, and for years I've been meaning to read some of his books, but never quite got around to it. So this year I'm gonna read my first Stephen King book.

You guys have any favorites of his, or recommendations on a good one to start with?

siluet2.jpg

Spooky-Halloween-Audiobooks-to-Scare-You-All-Month-Long.jpg

Last edited:
Is The Shining good? The movie is great, probably the best movie based on his books outside of Shawshank... but I know it's different than the book and I've heard King hates it.

IT

I know there is no way you would pick this one but just in case avoid The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It was dumb.

Last edited:
Firestarter was my favorite. I read that and Dead Zone multiple times.

I forgot he did Dead Zone. I might do that one. The movie was pretty good and I liked the series too.

I really like The Long Walk and think it'd make for a great introduction. It's one of the books he released under name Richard Bachman, and I think this little collection is a good platform in general. It includes The Running Man which became the Arnie movie (The book is completely different) and also Thinner, which became a real gem in amongst his movie adaptations

I really like The Long Walk and think it'd make for a great introduction. It's one of the books he released under name Richard Bachman, and I think this little collection is a good platform in general. It includes The Running Man which became the Arnie movie (The book is completely different) and also Thinner, which became a real gem in amongst his movie adaptations

It's a collection of short stories? That would be ideal.

They are short stories by Stephen King standards for sure. There were four of them released in a single book called 'The Bachman Books' so that would be good idea imo (That book includes The Long Walk)

91t8-U-5yvd-L.jpg

Rage is no longer in print. King wanted it to go out of print due to its connection with a few school shootings.

His new book Fairy Tale is his best work. It retells the story of Wizard of Oz in King’s vision. I don’t see how this book doesn’t become as big as the Wizard of Oz either once more people read it. I recommend All book readers to check it out. King erases all the color from the Wizard of Oz and paints it Grey.

upload_2022-9-30_22-29-18.jpeg

we all drink from the dark well.

Is The Shining good? The movie is great, probably the best movie based on his books outside of Shawshank... but I know it's different than the book and I've heard King hates it.
I'm a massive biggest Stephen King nerd and think The Shining is a great place to start.
If you enjoy that I'd jump into IT or The Stand both massive books

His new book Fairy Tale is his best work. It retells the story of Wizard of Oz in King’s vision. I don’t see how this book doesn’t become as big as the Wizard of Oz either once more people read it. I recommend All book readers to check it out. King erases all the color from the Wizard of Oz and paints it Grey.

View attachment 945995

we all drink from the dark well.
So that's pretty good? I've been wondering, I dunno where to track it down besides ordering online. I like tracking books, I looked for it when I had to go to target to get Heat 2

Best to start with his short story anthologies: Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, etc.
I agree. Also, The Shining is a great work, but very different from the movie - I feel like the interior monologues that are so central to a lot of King's works, make them difficult to adapt to the screen.

It's getting to be that spooky time of year, and this year I want to finally read a Stephen King book.

I've seen pretty much all the movies based on his work, and for years I've been meaning to read some of his books, but never quite got around to it. So this year I'm gonna read my first Stephen King book.

You guys have any favorites of his, or recommendations on a good one to start with?

siluet2.jpg

Spooky-Halloween-Audiobooks-to-Scare-You-All-Month-Long.jpg
Where do you live? I mean like what region lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back