Retro “Throwback” Shooters

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
I haven’t done any PC gaming for about ten years. Since 2009 I’ve mostly played 360, PS3 and PS4. Apparently, however, on pc in the last couple of years a new “sub genre” so to speak of FPS games have come along, the retro/old school/throwback shooter (or whatever you choose to call them) which seek to emulate the games of the early to mid 90s. I only just discovered these by watching YouTube videos from gmanlives and I have to say, some of these games look pretty cool and fun:

Project Warlock which looks like a bit of a modern take on Wolfenstein 3D era shooters like Blakestone or Corridor 7:

Amid Evil which is appears to try to recreate the experience of Heretic and Hexen:

Ion Fury (previously known as Ion Maiden prior to the threat of legal action from Iron Maiden) which is literally running on the Build Engine from Duke Nukem 3D and the original Shadow Warrior:

And Dusk which seems to be a bit of a blend of Quake 1 and Blood:

These all look like they could be pretty good games. Has anyone here played any of them? Does anyone know of any other newer games that do a good job of capturing that 90s shooter look or feel?

I just stumbled upon him the other day watching some of his “pro doom” series.

Iirc he wasn’t playing in ultra violence and I got bored and didn’t watch anymore.
He absolutely does. He just posted a video on Plutonia on UV.

Makes anything in Doom or Doom 2 look like child’s play.

Every review I’ve seen him post is either on the hardest or second hardest difficulty.

He absolutely does. He just posted a video on Plutonia on UV.

Makes anything in Doom or Doom 2 look like child’s play.

Every review I’ve seen him post is either on the hardest or second hardest difficulty.
Hmmm, weird maybe I was remebering someone else as I watched a few the other day. And it seemed like I rember him saying in the “pro rules” ultra violence. But there were missing demons and shot and I knew it wasn’t.

Maybe it was someone else.

Hmmm, weird maybe I was remebering someone else as I watched a few the other day. And it seemed like I rember him saying in the “pro rules” ultra violence. But there were missing demons and shot and I knew it wasn’t.

Maybe it was someone else.
You’re either misremembering who you watched or where the demons were.

Either way, he plays on UV.

Sublevel Zero Redux is a decent Descent Clone. Its on consoles too.

that guy is for sure one of the better youtube reviewers.

Sad what happened to Ion Fury. I was really interested in it.

ResetEra needs to be taken out back and put down. Fuck those pussies.

But ion fury is on the market....

I know. I meant the censorship bullshit, forcing employees into sensitivity training and having to pay $10,000 to shut up a shitty website.

Companies need to stop pandering to clowns and make the games they're going to make. Let the people who are offended not buy the game and let the people who don't give a fuck about that shit like me support you.

Last edited:
I know. I meant the censorship bullshit, forcing employees into sensitivity training and having to pay $10,000 to shut up a shitty website.

Companies to stop pandering to clowns and make the games they're going to make. Let the people who are offended not buy the game and let the people who don't give a fuck about that shit like me support you.

Ah, just looked it up. Yeah, that's some stupid shit. I can't imagine what would happen to these internet outrage warriors if they saw Duke Nukem 3d back in 1997.

Ah, just looked it up. Yeah, that's some stupid shit. I can't imagine what would happen to these internet outrage warriors if they saw Duke Nukem 3d back in 1997.

I'd pay extra for the pre-censored version right now just to stick it to these fucking idiots (in my mind).

Sublevel Zero Redux is a decent Descent Clone. Its on consoles too.

I love this guy's reviews. He has a great voice to do some retro-style Noir detective/adventure game.

Companies to stop pandering to clowns and make the games they're going to make. Let the people who are offended not buy the game and let the people who don't give a fuck about that shit like me support you.

I can't believe they capitulated to those lunatics. I can understand some backpedaling from companies when pressure is immense enough to cause sponsorship loss, but how could Resetera hurt them? They aren't their consumer base, and they don't affect sales. Ion Fury had loads of goodwill, and would have even more if they stood their ground. Bending the knee here only hurts them, what am I missing?

RIP 3D Realms, you almost made a great comeback!
AjTHkN2.gif

You’re either misremembering who you watched or where the demons were.

Either way, he plays on UV.
I rewatched another one, I think my problem was he was calling it “pro doom” and not playing by the rules of most “doom challenges”
Ie Pistol Start every level 100%

But I swear I was watching one of his, and he said it was on ultra violence so he said and the demons were too slow and not enough.

But it might have been someone else’s.

Back