REVIEW: Vulkan Kimono (comparison to KORAL) **PHOTOS**

I narrowed my choice from either owning a Koral or Vulkan. I decided on going with the Koral gi. I'm pretty happy about my decision so far. :)

Yeah, both gi's are awesome. You won't regret getting either of them. I think the price is a huge difference for me as they are the same in cut. I might still get 1 more KORAL and a VULKAN depending on how good I feel at the end of the month.

I'm getting a Koral Classic and a Vulkan at the same time this week. Thankfully a local store carries both in stock so I can try before I buy. I'm a "girthy" guy at 5'10" and 205 pounds, so finding BJJ gis in particular can be tough (since they're made for guys with more average or even slender builds). I tried a Koral A4 and I was swimming in it. I'm hoping the A3 will fit, we'll see.

The Korals are pre-shrunk, are the Vulkans as well?

On a similar note, one local academy is carrying Woldorf kimonos. I've never heard of them, but they're selling them for $75 and claim they're high quality knock offs of I think Keikos or Krugans.

I'm getting a Koral Classic and a Vulkan at the same time this week. Thankfully a local store carries both in stock so I can try before I buy. I'm a "girthy" guy at 5'10" and 205 pounds, so finding BJJ gis in particular can be tough (since they're made for guys with more average or even slender builds). I tried a Koral A4 and I was swimming in it. I'm hoping the A3 will fit, we'll see.

On a similar note, one local academy is carrying Woldorf kimonos. I've never heard of them, but they're selling them for $75 and claim they're high quality knock offs of I think Keikos or Krugans.

VULKAN's are not pre-shrunk.

I understand why a lot of people like this gi, it's light and cool and good for competition. Although, I'm not sure I would recommend it if you plan on training in it frequently. A lot of guys bought some from our academy when it first opened up. Most guys had to replace them within less than a year. They just don't seem to hold up, especially the pants.

Mine is fine after a year of 3-4 times rolling per week. My Atama pants ripped already and my Vulkans are still solid, and I wear them more. Best gi on the market.

I'm 6', 230 and I wear a Koral A3.

The officials will simply just cut the gi patch with a patch-remover. The pants are illegal. You have to be really really good to get away with shit like that anyways. Jacare's gi is illegal on so many levels but then again.. he's Jacare. I remember people saying how tight-assed the refs were against patches at Pan Ams.

why are the pants still illegal then ---is it because they are too thin.

also.I would say the GI is too big for me....but when people are playing spider guard and grabbing the sleeves+ also the sweat factor .the gi does not hold and becomes very baggy

why are the pants still illegal then ---is it because they are too thin.

also.I would say the GI is too big for me....but when people are playing spider guard and grabbing the sleeves+ also the sweat factor .the gi does not hold and becomes very baggy

I didn't say the pants are illegal, the PATCH on the pants by the knee are illegal. The officials won't make you take the pants off, they will just take it off themselves. Nothing wrong with it if you don't plan on competing as I've never been affected by them when rolling with others with a VULKAN gi.

good review soid,, i'll look into the vulkan for my next gi.. good thing is that im probably 30-45min from pro gear so easy pickup.

I didn't say the pants are illegal, the PATCH on the pants by the knee are illegal. The officials won't make you take the pants off, they will just take it off themselves. Nothing wrong with it if you don't plan on competing as I've never been affected by them when rolling with others with a VULKAN gi.

ok thanks for the info----------Good review of a good Kimono:D

I'd like to hear about your findings since I'm looking for a gi and I have exactly the same measurements as you

I'd like to hear about your findings since I'm looking for a gi and I have exactly the same measurements as you

I'll let you know. Unfortunately when I talked to them last week they said "We ordered them on Friday, they'll be here next week". I called yesterday, and they STILL hadn't ordered them. Atlanta has no fight shops worth a damn, so I'm going to wait some more.

This sucks, since I'm trying to train BJJ w/ gi, but all my current gis (Fuji double weave, Toraki double weave, Toraki single weave, Toraki single weave) are more judo/aikido style and I've even cut back their sleeves somewhat (aikido does a lot of wrist techniques) which makes them inappropriate for BJJ. Not fair if I can grab sleeves and my opponent can't :D

Anyway, I'm in San Diego next week so I'm going to get a Gameness Pearl in A3 and see how it fits when I'm out there, and when I get back HOPEFULLY the Vulkan and Koral will be in stock and I'll try on both and probably pick up whichever feels best. I only train gi twice a week so it's hard to justify owning 3 gis =)

I have the same Vulkan Gi and I like it alot. The only only thing is that the sizes are really big. I had to hot wash and dry it several times. The pants fit fine but the top is a bit big still. It's so much lighter than my Atama gold weave though.

Nice review Soid, thanks. I will probably get a Vulkan in the future.

can you compare your vulkan kimono to an HCK? Which hck you've got?

regards

man, i honestly think the patches on my Vulkan pants are backwards? i have the size patch on the front, but the leg patches are on the back?

yup, definitely backwards as opposed to yours Soid, maybe it's competition-legal now with the patch on the back of the leg? no idea...

Back