Riot Games' Valorant

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So it appears to be a 5v5 Counter Strike/Overwatch mash up that looks like crap. Release date is summer 2020

valorant-project-gameplay-reveal-trailer.webp

that looks like crap

I kind of agree. My concerns are mainly with the gameplay. For instance the "staging" time is caused by the inability to balance maps and spawn timings.

Another issue is that Riot are designing this to be a "competitive game"; basically a FPS esport for Asia. Any game that designs itself around becoming a esport before release has always failed to become a esport.

Hmm, since it'll be f2p I'll probably give it a chance.

It looks like it might turn out to be a bit too much like CSGO for me. I really dislike holding angles for lengths of time and being punished for holding 'w'.

This game feels like it's reaching for a weird market. Most CS players won't like the abilities and the gameplay looks like it's too slow paced and about holding angles to appeal to a lot of the Overwatch fans. Maybe it pulls some of the people that couldn't make to the top of the competitive scene in CS or those who got banned for cheating/match fixing.

Last edited:
Maybe it pulls some of the people that couldn't make to the top of the competitive scene in CS or those who got banned for cheating/match fixing.

Are you kidding me? This is gonna be extra-revenue for these athletes. It will be dominated by CS Go players.

fuck the bullshit, counterstrike 1.6 or nothing

Are you kidding me? This is gonna be extra-revenue for these athletes. It will be dominated by CS Go players.
You'd have to ask @KaNesDeath to be sure, but I would imagine most orgs have their players locked into contracts that stop them from competing in multiple games. I also doubt anyone at the top of CSGO would leave that unless there is more money in it.

GabeN and friends don't seem to give a shit about many of their games anymore and Riot has a good history so we'll have to see what happens. If this game blows up in Korea and China that might be enough of a success for Riot.

doubt it, I'm sure some will play, but CS has always been the game everyone goes back to. 1.6 and GO have been incredible and both have had longevity beyond reason because they were/are the best FPS games.

Brax is gonna try his hand at it, but he's been from majors.

You'd have to ask @KaNesDeath to be sure, but I would imagine most orgs have their players locked into contracts that stop them from competing in multiple games. I also doubt anyone at the top of CSGO would leave that unless there is more money in it.

Last year a massive influx of esport team organizational support came to CSGO. For Activision locked down their Overwatch and COD leagues to traditional sport franchised owners with rediculous operating costs. Meaning standard esport team orgs looking to expand needed to look elsewhere. CSGO was the obvious choice from a viewership numbers perspective thats been steady and growing since 2013.

CSGO Pro's do play other games. You need to keep in mind that they are gamers at heart. For instance Hiko(former #1 CSGO Pro in NA) likes to play Overwatch in his off time and Byali formerly from VP used to joke he was a professional PUBG player in 2017/2018 at CSGO tournaments. Casually you'll see CSGO Pro's play Valorant. Competitively you wont for money in the CSGO scene is at an all time high thats been built on now for twenty years. Former CSGO pro's who werent good enough and or burned every bridge (like Swag) will try to become Pro in a game like Valorant.

TF2 graphics, CSGO's economy, RS6's utility spam and Overwatchs ultimates.

The "even playing field regardless of ping" selling point has already been proven to be a lie in the first hour of NDA lifting.

TF2 graphics, CSGO's economy, RS6's utility spam and Overwatchs ultimates.

The "even playing field regardless of ping" selling point has already been proven to be a lie in the first hour of NDA lifting.
I get that they want it to run on the large majority of PCs and that the footage people were broadcasting yesterday(and some are doing it again today to farm viewers and shit) was an alpha build, but this game visually looks like it's from the late 2000's. Some of the smokes/abilities had so little polish that it looked like a cheap Chinese knock of CS. From what I've gathered most people said the game ran great though.

Of course there's already people claiming that it's going to kill off every other game in existence.

So why did you make a thread about it?

Day the NDA was lifted Valorant section hit 1 million live viewers on Twitch. Only content shown was prerecorded footage from the prior weekend. What we are about to see is a influencer campaign like no other within the video game space.

So from what I heard there were like 1.3 million people on 'tuning in' on Twitch when it dropped. So 1.3 million people had Twitch open in a different tab on 160p with almost no sounds hoping for a drop.
Its only been two hours, lol:

I didn't think Doc would like this game. Does he even play CSGO?

I didn't think Doc would like this game. Does he even play CSGO?

On occasion he does. But for some reason Riot made the pacing of this game even slower than CS. Havent pinpointed why yet. Suspecting it deals with 60hz monitor users.

Did anyone else manage to get into the beta?

I put on Seagulls stream when I went for my run this morning and came back to a key. I haven't played a CS type game for a long time so I fully expect to get farmed.

Yikes, apparently today Doc had his title as 'Drops all day' but then he had drops disabled.

Last edited:
Summit1g, Skadoodle, Shroud, Dizzy and Flom versus the Valorant Dev team(two matches):

Spectator wise, Valorant has the visual clutter problem Overwatch has. With the added problems of utility/ability spam and ease to acquire kills without seeing a opponent.

On occasion he does. But for some reason Riot made the pacing of this game even slower than CS. Havent pinpointed why yet. Suspecting it deals with 60hz monitor users.

Probably due to their attempt to remove peekers adv

Also the utility in this game can be insane, and bog down mobility. I will say mobility in this is easy as hell. It's like Quake.

It looks like a shitty chinese mobile knockoff of CSGO. It's only saving grace is the server tick rate in matchmaking, otherwise I can't see any reason to play this over CSGO. I say that as someone who was looking forward to valorant when it was announced as project a.

Summit1g, Skadoodle, Shroud, Dizzy and Flom versus the Valorant Dev team(two matches):

Spectator wise, Valorant has the visual clutter problem Overwatch has. With the added problems of utility/ability spam and ease to acquire kills without seeing a opponent.

This game is going to have a hard time getting a big player base IMO. From what it looked like on this vid they die SO OFTEN without even seeing who they are fighting. That stuff gets old fast dying through abilities when you can't see whats going on.

Back