PBP RIZIN 46: Suzuki vs Kanehara 4/29 3AM ET *** Sherdog Discussion ***

Rizin results:​

RIZIN FF - RIZIN 46​

Rizin Fighting Federation
APR 29, 2024
Japan
ARIAKE ARENA, KOTO, TOKYO, JAPAN

Suzuki defeats Kanhara via Rd. 1 TKO, retains featherweight belt.

Chihiro Suzuki

CHIHIRO SUZUKI

12-3-0
MAIN EVENTTITLE FIGHT
vs

FEATHERWEIGHT

MASANORI KANEHARA

29-12-5
MATCH
METHOD
TKO (Punches)
REFEREE
Tatsuro Nagase
ROUND
TIME
4:28

MATCHFIGHTERSMETHOD/REFEREERTIME
Shinobu Ota

Shinobu
Ota

WIN
vs

Bantamweight
Juntaro 'Fighting Bull' Ushiku

Juntaro
Ushiku

LOSS
Decision (Unanimous)
Minoru Toyonaga
35:00
Soo Chul Kim

Soo
Chul Kim

WIN
vs

Bantamweight
Taichi Nakajima

Taichi
Nakajima

LOSS
KO (Punches)
Masato Fukuda
20:06
6Makoto
Takahashi

WIN
FlyweightJung
Hyun Lee

LOSS
Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke)
Masato Fukuda
14:29
5Kazuma
Kuramoto

WIN
BantamweightJi
Yong Yang

LOSS
Decision (Split)
Masato Fukuda
4Noah
Bey

WIN
LightweightYusaku
Inoue

LOSS
Decision (Unanimous)
Tatsuro Nagase
3Viktor
Kolesnik

WIN
FeatherweightYoshiki
Nakahara

LOSS
Decision (Unanimous)
Minoru Toyonaga
2Ilhom
Nazimov

WIN
FeatherweightSora
Yamamoto

LOSS
TKO (Elbows and Punches)
Tatsuro Nagase
23:39
1Ryo
Takagi

WIN
FeatherweightTaisei
Nishitani

LOSS
KO (Punch)
Minoru Toyonaga
14:04

Didn't get to watch the final bout before I had to head out. Just watched it now and the stream skipped forward to the end randomly and spoiled it.

Shame for Kanehara but Suzuki was just all over him.

For me FOTN was the bareknuckle bout, it was a fun bit of variety. Shinryu vs Lee was a fun watch too.

Had never paid much attention to Rizin but that was a good watch, I think I'll keep following it. It has some of the theatrical DNA of Pride but lazer-focused on Japanese talent, which is probably a good thing for keeping Japanese MMA at a high standard. Hopefully it becomes bigger in future.

Was able to get an abridged version of the main card before I go to work.

Good win for Suzuki. He has true killer instinct, which I appreciate. He figured out pretty fast that if he simply pressed the standup, Kanehara didn't have much for him. It sucks to see the old dog make it to that point and fall short, but all respect to Kanehara. Had he gotten the fight down, this may have played out much differently.

Also, how about Kim??? His KO was pretty sweet.

Was a pretty good card, just needs less Monday and more Sunday going on.

Rizin is no more than a regional organization now which is sad, remember 2015 to 2017 this was a great organization with lots of potential where now its just the same guys just rotated over and over sure there's some good fights but they haven't really crowned many champs and they focus in on only light weight classes.

Dream, Sengoku were better than Rizin at this point had Rizin kept the format they had early on they would have surpassed both those 2 organizations, sorry just not that exciting to me anymore at least try to crown a MW, LHW, HW champ and have some bigger name fighters.

Dream, Sengoku were better than Rizin at this point
Sengoku lasted less than 3 years. Dream lasted less than 5 years.

Rizin is coming up on its 10 year anniversary, and has had more cards than Sengoku and Dream combined.

Dream and Sengoku were not better than Rizin at this point. They were long defunct, and had created zero homegrown japanese stars.

Sengoku lasted less than 3 years. Dream lasted less than 5 years.

Rizin is coming up on its 10 year anniversary, and has had more cards than Sengoku and Dream combined.

Dream and Sengoku were not better than Rizin at this point. They were long defunct, and had created zero homegrown japanese stars.
I don't care how long they lasted that's not something I measure quality by, there are lots of garbage that lasts and is supported by people, Sengoku and Dream had much better events and matches than current Rizin by a mile. If you want to compare 2015 to 2017 Rizin to the former sure Rizin is most likely better but the mediocre events they've been putting out for ever since covid is a joke, they can't even do a NYE correct its like so predictable who the main event will be for NYE Horiguchi, how about trying to sign new fighters instead they simply rotate the same crop of LW's, BW's over and over it is very old and predictable at this point, plus there's no excuse at this point covid is over.

It's always good to see the old dog Kanehara fighting!

What an odd, but rather impressive record he holds.
I hated him because I thought he was gifted that decision over KZ back in the day. But now I respect him and watch with anticipation. Respect to the OGs, who weren't even OGs back then! Absolutely insane, the ravaging of time.

I hated him because I thought he was gifted that decision over KZ back in the day. But now I respect him and watch with anticipation. Respect to the OGs, who weren't even OGs back then! Absolutely insane, the ravaging of time.
That was a crazy tournament!

I may be misremembering, but I believe Kanehara soon got a gift decision over Omigawa after Omigawa got a gift against Sandro.

That was a crazy tournament!

I may be misremembering, but I believe Kanehara soon got a gift decision over Omigawa after Omigawa got a gift against Sandro.
that was a very legitimate and crazy tournament! i recall something similar. JMMA was still pretty good back then! omigawa was the shit too, a forgotten name.

that was a very legitimate and crazy tournament! i recall something similar. JMMA was still pretty good back then! omigawa was the shit too, a forgotten name.
Omigawa definitely hit his MMA peak during that time. His boxing was great and he was an okay size for featherweight.

Even though it's probably not the greatest era in MMA, I look back most fondly to that time.

Omigawa definitely hit his MMA peak during that time. His boxing was great and he was an okay size for featherweight.

Even though it's probably not the greatest era in MMA, I look back most fondly to that time.
Agreed, those days after the demolition of PRIDE FC were kinda sad, but also this wild free-for-all of JMMA talent, some super underrated fighters, fights, events 100%. It was a good time, lots of org, lots of talent, and for the most part delivered. I remember Kikuno, those also karate crescent kicks, Omigawa was a bonafide G, the Grabaka Hitman, and too many others I am missing.

Back