Economy Robot automation will take betwenn 20 and 800 million jobs by 2030

:eek:
As if the U.S. and world economy wasn't bad enough, we now have to deal with robots. This is scary. If you think finding a job today is hard, just wait another 11 years. If people are out of work, they will not be able to buy a product. An interesting circle that can spiral downward or upward. I wonder if U.S. regulation will start to come into place. I'm not sure which article below is correct, 20 or 800 million jobs worldwide.

The perfect employee: Doesn't complain, doesn't get sick, doesn't get hurt, doesn't need weekends off, doesn't sleep or eat, doesn't need to be paid, doesn't get pregnant. It does need maintenance though.

"A report from Oxford Economics found that 8.5% of the global workforce could be displaced by robots by 2030."

"Robots Will Replace 20 Million Jobs by 2030, Oxford Report Finds"
Story: https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...replace-20-million-manufacturing-jobs-by-2030

"Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030"
Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42170100

Just wait until AI gets better.

The AI/Robots and Human Workers should Unite against the Corporations.

In the end both workers/AI/Robots were programmed by others to do task.

Yang has the right idea if not the right implementation. We are scratching the surface of a world where UBI is a necessity. If we dont at least start discussing it now it will be too late and the corporate overlords will grind the poor into dust while chilling on their yachts.

You got wrong point of view at things. You see job loses. But if 90% of all jobs in the world will be automotized, then...why people need to work at all?
Why make things if people can't buy them? Meaning, there will be no need for things to be made.
I mentioned this earlier, if people are out of work and not making money, they will not be buying any products.
Robots don't buy things, they don't make any money either, but people do.
Think of how this affects a country's economy, than a world economy.

Why make things if people can't buy them? Meaning, there will be no need for things to be made.
I mentioned this earlier, if people are out of work and not making money, they will not be buying any products.
Robots don't buy things, they don't make any money either, but people do.
Think of how this affects a country's economy, than a world economy.

People would be given money to buy things, if at all necessary which I'm not sure it will be. This is a major paradigm shift that is coming. I obviously don't know when its coming but its coming.

The new cars have a lot of automatization installed. I am driving a 2019 BMW 7 series and I am shocked how many different systems does it have. Most of all I like that these systems increased the security level of the car. It is completely similar to automated houses. It also increases security, and saves a lot of time and money, by increasing the efficiency of electricity use. The only thing that I don't like is the system that breaks automatically when it sees an obstacle. I would be very happy if I had the possibility to shut it down.

Last edited:
Probably a good time for would-be auto techs, industrial techs, etc. to go into robotic repair instead.
Any sort of technician (industrial equipment best for sure) can find work and it pays well. I sell software in that space and every business I run into is in need of 10-20% more field technicians...cannot hire them.

Who Cares! No better time to bring in more poor unskilled workers

Yeeeeeee Hawwww

Robots can’t paint your house, install new gutters, maintain your yard, move heavy stuff from one house to another, fix your bike, tow your car, and tons of other jobs.

What robots can do is do the jobs that a lot of union workers get compensated very well for.

The less dumb fucks I have to worry about hiring the better.

Which will free up people do to do 20-800 million other jobs. Not worried about it.

Besides, tough to get worked up over a projection working with a 4000% estimate range.

I'm extremely pessimistic about the future of robotics and jobs. A lot of sci-fi in the Asimov days talked about the technological singularity where robots would basically take over and do our jobs for us. It was seen as something we should strive for and would free humans up for leisure, art and just being free.

My take is that's naive and a nightmare world unless we are prepared, which we won't be. It might be 10 or 20 years from now but eventually, you are going to see the end of truck drivers. That will be millions of jobs lost. Even sooner than that, you are going to see completely self-service fast food ordering. Also, millions and millions of jobs lost.

The problem is, these jobs aren't being replaced. What exactly are people going to do for money? I also firmly believe in the proverb "Idle hands are the devil's playthings". People need jobs and things to keep them occupied. As more jobs are lost, I think we absolutely need a UBI. I just see politicians dragging their feet and millions of jobs will be lost before they do it. By then, it will be too late and the damage will be done.

I think one thing we should start doing right now (which again, won't happen) is tax every robot "worker". This tax can be used for UBI. If a robot takes a job, the company gets a taxed that goes directly into UBI payments. If a robot takes 10 jobs, it's taxed for 10 people. If that doesn't work, you could potentially put in regulations where the workforce must have X percentage of human workers.

In a perfect world, we'd have robots doing our work for us and we'd reap the benefits of their labor and wealth. I just don't see our system set up to do that currently.

makes sense, with the covid fears its best to stay at home, forever.

UBI will obviously be a reality at some point. The argument will shift to how it will be implemented and to what degree.

Even with UBI it's scary to think of a world without human labor. The rat race does suck, but it also gives people purpose and things to strive for. The idea that everyone is stuck in the exact same position with little to no means to change that position is pretty scary. It's going to seriously mess with people's psyche. Then there is the issue of countries that do not have the means to facilitate UBI. It will he a humanitarian nightmare. I think UBI will be necessary at some point, but I think we have to think about even more beyond simply how people will feed themselves in our own country.

:eek:
As if the U.S. and world economy wasn't bad enough, we now have to deal with robots. This is scary. If you think finding a job today is hard, just wait another 11 years. If people are out of work, they will not be able to buy a product. An interesting circle that can spiral downward or upward. I wonder if U.S. regulation will start to come into place. I'm not sure which article below is correct, 20 or 800 million jobs worldwide.

The perfect employee: Doesn't complain, doesn't get sick, doesn't get hurt, doesn't need weekends off, doesn't sleep or eat, doesn't need to be paid, doesn't get pregnant. It does need maintenance though.

"A report from Oxford Economics found that 8.5% of the global workforce could be displaced by robots by 2030."

"Robots Will Replace 20 Million Jobs by 2030, Oxford Report Finds"
Story: https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...replace-20-million-manufacturing-jobs-by-2030

"Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030"
Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42170100

Learn how to program robots. This has been going on since the industrial revolution. You have to move with the times or get left behind. I work in a tech field. I have to constantly update my skills or I won't be employable. That's just the way it is.

Learn how to program robots. This has been going on since the industrial revolution. You have to move with the times or get left behind. I work in a tech field. I have to constantly update my skills or I won't be employable. That's just the way it is.

That's why I love lower level programming. C hasn't changed in decades.

Back