Ronin Brand Samurai Gi First Impressions

Sick Video ! Love the effects this guy did.
This should of came out about a month ago.

I'll be rolling in this for the first time Friday night. I pinched a serious nerve in my back and I wasn't able to do much of anything. I should be good to go Friday.

Returned the first one a while back, but picked up The Navy Blue Samurai Gi after stopping by Kinjisan, Doug is the man!

Last edited:
If you can please take a pic of the black wearing off on to the white cloth. I happen to have this gi along with the other Ronin models and must say that I like it the best. The fit on my is like butter. Yes, it did have that funky smell but that's not due to the dye. Doug from Kinjisan confirmed to me that is from the rope string. Its washes out after 1 wash. I personally don't like the stretchy rope tie, so I had a tailor remove it and put the traditional flat ties in its place. I agree their were a few stitches that were not 100% straight, but that did not bother me or effect the strength of the gi. My other 2 SYR gis happen to be worse, but I still enjoyed wearing them.

The Canvas pants on these are great, IMO. Reminds me of my old Heavyweight karate pants.

I don't have any of these experiences of the dye rubbing off. I also believe that the smell is from the treatment they use to keep the cloth crisp and colors vibrant. After 2 washes, the color still looks vibrant.

Canvas pants feeling cheap and thin? That's... odd.

Its funny how the review differs between the guy who bought his and the guy who got it for free.

Who would have guessed that?

Unfortunately I do not have a disposable income so I wont be trying this Gi out. My impressions off the bat are actually exactly how I felt about the X Guard Kamikaze. I would not be surprised if they came out of the same factory as a matter of fact. When you open the package the room fills up with the same smell I got from the X Guard kimono, kind of like moth balls. This smell comes from the dye, which usually means inexpensive dye. Red flag for me right away. I tried it on and the fit is a bit baggy which I am sure I could fix with a few washes. Ill be honest I have never worn duck canvas pants so I don't know but to me it feels cheap and thin. I love the draw string pants and the design of the gi is amazing! However like the OP stated the stitching is off all over the place. Another thing I noticed is that when I put the GI back in the bag and took it out again the black dye began to rub off onto the white canvas creating a dirty blotchy patch.

All in all when I look at the cost $139 its not that bad. But when you can get a Fuji Kimono where the quality is almost perfect for $80-90 bucks you almost feel cheated.

I am sure this Gi would last a long time and would break in nicely but like I said I don't have the income to just wing it and try it out.

do you have the income for photos or video to show this?

Its funny how the review differs between the guy who bought his and the guy who got it for free.

Who would have guessed that?

Eh. It is what it is. You don't take me or my reviews seriously. I get it. You've established this numerous times.

Last edited:
OK so like I edited in my earlier post, I went out a few months ago and stopped by Dougs shop. I ended up purchasing a Navy Samurai Gi to give it another shot. I think the first one must have been a dud cause this gi is awesome. Been rolling in it for a few months and its broken in nicely. Looks sick in Navy

Last edited:
Damn that thing is shot. As for the pants material, it looks as though it's pretty much ripstop with out the ripstop stitching. I would compare them directly to the thickness of the Predator ripstop. My gi has a bunch of messed up stitching, but not that bad. As I've stated, I haven't experienced the dye issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back