Ronin Brand Samurai Gi First Impressions

scaled.php

I'd say they are pretty close. These pants are thinner than cotton twill pants, but they are definitely not cheap and flimsy by my standards. The gameness air pants would qualify as cheap and flimsy for me.

I really like the pants, they are almost like the scramble 1chiban's. And the collar is super stiff which is a plus

Hey KILLTHETRAITOR, what size is that gi ? I know these are almost sold out at Fightersmarket & Kinji San. Im on a backordered list at Kinji san now. Those imperfections are no big deal for me. That light dye on the pants will come right off just by using a rag with warm water. I tried on the prototype samples and like how it fits me.

Hey KILLTHETRAITOR, what size is that gi ? I know these are almost sold out at Fightersmarket & Kinji San. Im on a backordered list at Kinji san now. Those imperfections are no big deal for me. That light dye on the pants will come right off just by using a rag with warm water. I tried on the prototype samples and like how it fits me.

Its an A3

I sure do, Here you go. As you can see the rope has made a black imprint on the gi pants, the thin pants along with a few other stitching imperfections. Oh and the smell most certainly does not come from the rope, the entire Gi reeks of it. I am not trying to damage anyone's reputation, just giving my honest opinion. I have worn alot of Gi's over the years and I wanted to try out a few of these new companies to see what they had to offer. Unfortunately I have gotten the same results the past two times.

photo5cm.jpg

By killthetraitor at 2012-06-21

photo4fr.jpg

photo3vg.jpg

photo2iqz.jpg

Wow, looks like a quality Gi, I hope that was a one of a kind, but doesn't sound like it. The pants look thin and cheap; some Gi expert compared them to ripstop pants without the ripstop weave, meaning they do not have the strength of ripstop, it wont take long to burn through them. You gotta love the rude comments ("do you have the income") when someone doesn't share the same opinion.

Wow, looks like a quality Gi, I hope that was a one of a kind, but doesn't sound like it. The pants look thin and cheap; some Gi expert compared them to ripstop pants without the ripstop weave, meaning they do not have the strength of ripstop, it wont take long to burn through them. You gotta love the rude comments ("do you have the income") when someone doesn't share the same opinion.

I was really excited to get this GI too. Oh well you win some you lose some.

"You gotta love the rude comments ("do you have the income") when someone doesn't share the same opinion." Exactly.

some Gi expert compared them to ripstop pants without the ripstop weave, meaning they do not have the strength of ripstop, it wont take long to burn through them.

What is your experience in terms of duck canvas vs ripstop and the durability they both possess?

What is your experience in terms of duck canvas vs ripstop and the durability they both possess?

As you should know I used to own 12 or 13 Gis all different makes, and my OTM Medieval Gi has heavy (thick) Duck Canvas pants, and in only a short while formed a hole that I fixed. Duck Canvas is actually what they use for standard linens like, bed sheets, curtains, clothing, etc. Ripstop is used in place of using a heavy material, but able to keep the same durability as heavy materials. My ripstop pants from Redstar, Atama, Zombie, Black Eagle, etc, have all been solid, only burning through actual stitching and not the material. Cotton twill (same as denim) seems to be the toughest cotton non-ripstop material in my experience.

As you should know I used to own 12 or 13 Gis all different makes, and my OTM Medieval Gi has heavy (thick) Duck Canvas pants, and in only a short while formed a hole that I fixed. Duck Canvas is actually what they use for standard linens like, bed sheets, curtains, clothing, etc. Ripstop is used in place of using a heavy material, but able to keep the same durability as heavy materials. My ripstop pants from Redstar, Atama, Zombie, Black Eagle, etc, have all been solid, only burning through actual stitching and not the material. Cotton twill (same as denim) seems to be the toughest cotton non-ripstop material in my experience.

I don't know why I should know how many gis you own. As for duck canvas, it's not just used for bed sheets.

Cotton duck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Numbered duck is nominally made in weights from 1 to 12, but numbers 7, 9, and 11 are no longer used. Some typical uses of various grades (with weights in ounces) are[1]:
#1 (18 oz): hammocks, cots, sandbags
#2 (17 oz): hatch paulins
#3 (16 oz): heavy-duty bags
#4 (15 oz): sea bags
#5 (14 oz): heavy work clothes
#6 (13 oz): large boat covers, heavy work clothes
#8 (11 oz): work clothes, clothes bags
#10 (9 oz): work clothes, shower curtains
#12 (7 oz): light clothes

Taken from the Kinjisan.com

-Pants - Made of soft 100% cotton 11oz. duck canvas with 6 belt loops & heavy duty thick stretchy rope tie.

So it's a #8 duck canvas used for work clothes and clothing bags.

Like I said, these feel like high quality and rigid. I'll report back with how they last.

Cotton twill (same as denim) seems to be the toughest cotton - This is incorrect. You have it confused. Duck canvas is more of a denim feeling. When you run your finger nails on the material you will head a ruff sound. Cotton twill is softer. When I trained karate, I wore nothing but heavyweight Canvas gis which lets off a nice crisp sound when doing kata. The Samurai Canvas pants are the light.

Ex of duck canvas pants (various weights) - Koral MKM, Old Koral Classic, Old Gameness Pearl, Tatami Estillo, Ronin Samurai

Ex of Twill cotton pants (various weights) - New Koral Classic, Kingz Ripstop, Ronin Insignia, all Fuji gis, Fushida Comp GS, Keiko Limited

Duck Canvas is actually what they use for standard linens like, bed sheets, curtains, clothing, etc - you meant to say twill cotton

Another good example of duck canvas is material they use on everlast punching bags. They either use, canvas (white), vynel, or leather.

Canvas bags are the bags that always cuts your hands up when punched without gloves or wraps.

Another good example of duck canvas is material they use on everlast punching bags. They either use, canvas (white), vynel, or leather.

Canvas bags are the bags that always cuts your hands up when punched without gloves or wraps.

I totally get the idea of having a Karate Gi made from Duck Canvas (Crisp Sound etc) But how they hold up in grappling is my question as they feel super thin and with some of the monsters in my gyms Ape like Grips I am concerned as to how long they will last.

"been rolling in them now for a while and turns out they break in nicely, very soft"

Last edited:
I totally get the idea of having a Karate Gi made from Duck Canvas (Crisp Sound etc) But how they hold up in grappling is my question as they feel super thin and with some of the monsters in my gyms Ape like Grips I am concerned as to how long they will last.

My naja extreme pants are canvas and I have had this gi for a few months with no signs of wear minus a lighter color.They are 13oz however. I use them every week in my home. It's camo, so I prefer to keep that out of the gym.

Comparing them to ripstop is ok, they are the same thickness. While the ripstop stitching may prevent rips from tension, it would not prevent rips from constant friction.

Cotton twill (same as denim) seems to be the toughest cotton - This is incorrect. You have it confused. Duck canvas is more of a denim feeling. When you run your finger nails on the material you will head a ruff sound. Cotton twill is softer. When I trained karate, I wore nothing but heavyweight Canvas gis which lets off a nice crisp sound when doing kata. The Samurai Canvas pants are the light.

No I meant twill, all my jeans are made of cotton twill. Also have you have seen how a Karate Gi holds up in grappling? not well

Duck Canvas is actually what they use for standard linens like, bed sheets, curtains, clothing, etc - you meant to say twill cotton

No I meant duck, I just shouldnt of included bed sheets. As covered in the link posted above:

My karate gis were both 12oz. canvas - Shureido & Ronin. Yes, both pants were a bit heavier than my Samurai pants. I think Doug told me these are like 10 or 11oz canvas. I have not had any problems so far. Knock on wood. I guess maybe they can rip if rolling with a big strong tuff dude. It happened to the Vulcan Ultra light gi the 2nd time i rolled. Brought it back to Kinjisan and he just gave me store credit.
Regarding the imperfections, If I were you i would just return it since the fit is not your taste. Extra $140 back in your pocket is not bad.

The pants is the issue. Cotton material used on PANTS for karate, judo, or Bjj gi does not matter. They are the same cloth/material. The judo & Bjj pants have much better reinforcements than karate pants and thats it. If my heavyweight Karate pants had the reinforcements as my bjj pants, then they would work 100%. Its very simple.

Yes, using a karate jacket weather its a light, medium or hvy weight will rip when doing judo or Bjj. However, Judo & Bjj jackets are totally different weaves & materials.

My Black Eagle/Predator Raptor has canvas pants. 14oz I think. I dare anyone to call them anything but bullet proof :D
Tatami's Estilo also features canvas pants. They feel just a tad thinner than Raptor's tho they might be the same fabric weight but some difference in manufacturer process or something. Also sturdy as a tank.

No I meant twill, all my jeans are made of cotton twill. Also have you have seen how a Karate Gi holds up in grappling? not well

No I meant duck, I just shouldnt of included bed sheets. As covered in the link posted above:

Regardless of how you try to spin it, you were pretty much saying that canvas wouldn't hold up because it's weak.Yeah, they make light clothing out of duck canvas but they also make sand bags out of it. These pants, aren't light clothing grade. Like I said, I have no issue believing that these will stand up to regular training. They are thin, but feel very strong.

If they rip, I'll let everyone know.

This smell comes from the dye, which usually means inexpensive dye. Red flag for me right away.

Oh and the smell most certainly does not come from the rope, the entire Gi reeks of it.

Inexpensive dye... white gi... hmm. The treatment theory is sounding much better the more I think about it.

Back