Ronin Brand Samurai Gi First Impressions

Mine is coming in tomorrow. I'll get a review up by Sunday.

Wow, looks like a quality Gi, I hope that was a one of a kind, but doesn't sound like it. The pants look thin and cheap; some Gi expert compared them to ripstop pants without the ripstop weave, meaning they do not have the strength of ripstop, it wont take long to burn through them. You gotta love the rude comments ("do you have the income") when someone doesn't share the same opinion.

had the same issue with the markings/stains on the pants when i got mine and well the smell as well but after a wash the stain/ markings and smell all went away.

First Impressions -Part One
The most noticeable difference in the Samurai is the new logo design. The letters are fierce and the new logo gives it a more authentic Japanese feel. I love the embroidery. Embroidery will always be superior to a patch or an iron on. Iron-on’s rub off--remember the old Adidas Jean Jacques Machado Gi,? Patches start looking like shit as the cotton on the gi starts shrinking--remember the Keiko Raca Special edition Double Weave Gi’s?

The Samurai on the inside looks cool and I would love for it to be there forever. The Ronin logo on the sleeves look great and the RONIN letters look great on the lapel on the front, and on the bottom of the skirt in the back.

I don’t know shit about all the new weaves coming out but this “Pearl Weave” looks and feels just like a Single Weave--thin, light, and soft but woven slightly different. I still think gi companies are getting over on us consumers by renaming Single Weave gi’s and charging up to $350 (Wanderlei Silva Koral Special Edition anyone?). I refuse to pay anything over $150 for Single Weave gi’s, but that’s just me.

The stitching looks a little rushed but I think it adds character to the gi. I feel like maybe there isn’t another gi like mine out in the world.

The collar is made from an EVA foam and is noticeably thicker. I’m not a fan of thick collars as they tend to open up when you are on your back giving the top player a slight advantage with cross collar or lapel chokes and strangles. Ronin says that the EVA foam will dry faster and will be anti bacterial, but since I have a few gi’s in rotation I never worry about hang dry time, and my wife has rid the stink smell from my older gi’s that I acquired while training in Hawaii so our washing routine is already anti-everythingbadinthisworld. But I realize this will positively impact people with limited gi’s or without a cool wife like mine.

The pants are made from 11oz Duck Canvas which is what most maintenance uniforms are made of. So it is essentially good quality Jiu Jitsu DICKEYS. The same features from the past gi’s remain, the reinforced crotch area, and the extra padding on the knees. The improvement on the pants are with the drawstrings- I love the stretch rope drawstrings and the six belt loops. My number one complaint with most gi pants are the drawstrings. When I first started jiu jitsu 8 years ago I used to go through Atama and Gameness pants like crazy. I’ve had Judo pants where the drawstrings shrunk or I got fat, I don’t know but I’m looking forward to rolling with these. The Ronin Insignia Gi is my go-to gi, but the drawstrings were always coming untied, or loosened up. I went through one match where my pants were coming off but I didn’t want to risk position to pull them back up and tie them.

What I’m looking forward to in Part Two of my review
1. Vulnerability the collar leaves me and if it opens up as much as my Keiko Gi’s do.
2. How well the drawstrings hold up.

Note: No funny smells nor did I have any markings.

Just lucky I guess.

Nice and detailed. I like it. My samurai hasn't washed off yet, I've been told that it will.

Back