Round kick with ball of foot

Normally its instep for sparring on the inside of the thighs, but my Sensei likes us to use ball of the foot from time to time just for a change up. Those days sparring become very uncomfortable. Also If people aren't precise your groin can take a beating. As for instep never jammed my toes that I can recall.

I asked about Ball of the foot...

Sorry misread, ya ive jammed my toes quite a few times hence when its a slow fighter ill use the ball. If people are moving fast easier to jam if they dart in. Kind of like stepping in to jam a punch if someone does that with a round kick with the ball of your foot I find your toes get caught in pants / shorts.

Curling your toes back but not far enough is a instant way to get them hurt.

Curling your toes back but not far enough is a instant way to get them hurt.

Yeah, but with shoes in self defence that's not a problem, although I suspect Karate and TKD originators did not conceive of people walking around in Nikes in a modern society.. Ball of the foot is from the old kung fu days in China

True with shoes that would work very well. French Savate was made in the 1700s since punching was considered deadly in England. The use the kicking with sharp point of the boot as a main technique. Like shin said early, its more of a dagger strike than a baseball bat. Watching savate fighters they still stab with their toes.

True with shoes that would work very well. French Savate was made in the 1700s since punching was considered deadly in England. The use the kicking with sharp point of the boot as a main technique. Like shin said early, its more of a dagger strike than a baseball bat. Watching savate fighters they still stab with their toes.

I don't know if you ever do ball of the foot in mitts practise but it always felt dodgy to me. We did both instep and ball of the foot. Ball of the foot never felt natural on a mitts, at least not with bare feet.

I don't know if you ever do ball of the foot in mitts practise but it always felt dodgy to me. We did both instep and ball of the foot. Ball of the foot never felt natural on a mitts, at least not with bare feet.

Ya I've tried ball of the foot on mitts and your right, it feel dodgy. I rather stick the ball of the foot into something with substance i.e. a body or even a body shield. There is a time and place for the technique but most people use brute force than finesse.

This is a requuest for some vids of this type of kick being used in fights, on pads, and on the bag. Has anyone on here used it in a fight?

One of my TKD teachers taught the BOF round kick. We practiced it that way in the air, on the heavy bag, and pads. It was also used in sparring with control when kicking to vital targets (I.e. contact to body but pulled for head kicks).

My opinion? It was much easier to apply against a person that it was that motherfucking heavy bag. Fuck that damn bag and it’s toe busting angles.

But seriously...great kick. I used to see it a lot with kyokushin as well, but it’s applied more as an angled front kick to the liver.

but it’s applied more as an angled front kick to the liver.

that was kind of my intent behind it, rather than a huge power wind up MT kick, a quick snap to the liver, with that ball of the foot would be painful

Hinata took out Kyshenko with a crescent kick. Kyshenko is one of the best Kickboxers on the planet. Only time Ive seen this kick finish a fight in Kickboxing tho.

So it’s like a combo between a roundhouse kick and a front kick to the body?

Best example by far considering he had landed a couple of roundhouse kicks to the body with his shin and the level of competition.

I wonder if sneaking inside his right elbow guard was part of the effectiveness though, couldn’t really tell how many of Hinata’s kicks were blocked by Kyshenko’s right elbow and how many went straight to the body.

Back