Rubber Guard longevity ?

Every rubber guard thread, on any forum, there are always tons of people coming in and calling it a gimmick. I am not an expert but they are probably right because it is said by so many people who have legit backgrounds.

One time I was watching an Eddie Bravo youtube video on rubber guard and he was showing one if his entires. The entry involved pulling half guard to get to butterfly guard with overunder hooks, then transitioning to rubber guard. I thought to myself, who would take rubber guard over overunder butterfly guard. But who knows.

Every rubber guard thread, on any forum, there are always tons of people coming in and calling it a gimmick. I am not an expert but they are probably right because it is said by so many people who have legit backgrounds.

One time I was watching an Eddie Bravo youtube video on rubber guard and he was showing one if his entires. The entry involved pulling half guard to get to butterfly guard with overunder hooks, then transitioning to rubber guard. I thought to myself, who would take rubber guard over overunder butterfly guard. But who knows.

Rubber guard is like any other guard, you can be very good at it or you can suck at it, it takes flexibility and practise to make it work , just like any other guard.

I/ve trained a lot of places, including a couple 10th planet gyms, trained with hundreds of people and I've never met anyone who had an extremely effective rubber guard (except for Nino Schembri). It's a position that really requires you to spend a lot of time getting smashed in order to perfect it, and even then is it really worth it?

Last edited:
I/ve trained a lot of places, including a couple 10th planet gyms, trained with hundreds of people and I've never met anyone who had an extremely effective rubber guard (except for Nino Schembri). It's a position that really requires you to spend a lot of time getting smashed in order to perfect it, and even then is it really worth it?
You get smashed in every position until you perfect it. What an absurdly shallow take.

You get smashed in every position until you perfect it. What an absurdly shallow take.
Not really, the grind on your body while doing rubber guard is different than say butterfly guard.

what are you talking about? even a decent blue belt can avoid getting smashed in butterfly, x-guard, or DLR guard for example., however rubber guard is literally you pulling all your opponent's weight on top of you. Rubber guard is for masochists. You can get very good at it but I'm not sure it's worth the struggle in terms of effectiveness. if I have to work an uncomfortable bottom position then I'm going closed or half-guard over rubber guard every time.

what are you talking about? even a decent blue belt can avoid getting smashed in butterfly, x-guard, or DLR guard for example., however rubber guard is literally you pulling all your opponent's weight on top of you. Rubber guard is for masochists. You can get very good at it but I'm not sure it's worth the struggle in terms of effectiveness. if I have to work an uncomfortable bottom position then I'm going closed or half-guard over rubber guard every time.

The time and effort needed to weaponize your rubber guard so you can count on it versus trained opponents isn’t worth it. It’s literally better to spend the same time practicing stand-ups, takedowns, boxing, or if strictly BJJ, open guard or butterfly, which you routinely see in MMA.

Back