Ruger Scout in 308 win. as all-rounder?

I have a .300 savage that’s both open sights and a scope at the flick of your thumb. It’s big enough to drop anything I’d be out hunting here in British Columbia and still light enough to easily shoot from any position.
Would you recommend the 300 savage as a do it all caliber?

One thing I will say about them is they are fucking heavy. My friend has one and on numerous hunts I've ended up carrying the scout around for several hours. It's heavy in your arms, It's heavy on your shoulder, it's heavy on a sling.
Now there are certainly heavier guns out there, I'll compare my Howa 1500 to his scout in terms of weight next time I go out to his before a hunt (That could even be tonight no cloud cover and a near full moon perfect pig hunt weather). My advice however is if you can get your hands on one just to hold for a min or two to see how you like it. Honestly there would be no reason for them to frown on the 30-30 for hunting, it's likely killed near more deer than any other caliber on the planet and if you get into the facts of the matter in pure stats alone the 30-30 IS a .308 it's just a vastly different type of .308.
Is the weight distribution the issue on the Ruger scout? Maybe it feels bulky because the weight is all in a compact weapon? But yeah good point that I would need to hold it.

30-30 I think is ok for deers here, too. But I think it s too small for pigs, here.

Is the weight distribution the issue on the Ruger scout? Maybe it feels bulky because the weight is all in a compact weapon? But yeah good point that I would need to hold it.

30-30 I think is ok for deers here, too. But I think it s too small for pigs, here.
30-30 Will clap nearly any pig on the planet. A 30-30 is traveling very quick over the first 400m. I would say if you use the right ammunition it'll kill damn near any pig on this planet. The biggest pig we've killed since we started running 30-30's out here was a 200lber (92kg) it didn't even get a chance to know it was dead.

Thanks all for the very helpful contribution. In North America my first choice would be a 30-30 Marlin, but here it would likely be a short 308. In any event I think I have learned that guns are extremely subjective and that they must be tried before bought.

Thanks all for the very helpful contribution. In North America my first choice would be a 30-30 Marlin, but here it would likely be a short 308. In any event I think I have learned that guns are extremely subjective and that they must be tried before bought.

The 30–30 started out in 1895 being called the .30 Winchester Smokeless; when adopted by other manufacturers, it was renamed to something more generic to avoid using the Winchester brand name. It’s a moderately powerful cartridge with a rimmed case that works well in lever action rifles. The bullets are almost always round or flat nosed because they were intended to be loaded in a tubular magazine. A spire-point bullet could strike the primer of the round ahead of it during recoil, setting off a catastrophic detonation in the magazine. Typical velocity from a 150 grain flat nose bullet is 2,390 ft/s, for 1,903 ft⋅lb energy. It’s probably the most popular deer hunting cartridge in North America.

The .308 Winchester came to us in 1952 as the civilian version of the 7.62x51mm which was adopted by NATO in 1954. Winchester, like the military, saw the advantage of a cartridge with close to the same power as the 30–06 in a shorter case. The case is rimless as it was designed to work in a semi-auto action and it uses a modern pointed bullet because the rifles chambered for it would use box magazines. Being designed for higher pressures (because nothing chambered for it could have been made in the 19th century) typical velocity with a 150 grain bullet is 2,820 ft/s, with 2,648 ft⋅lb energy. It also works extremely well in bolt action rifles.

The main thing to take away from this is the ft-lb energy. On a large pig that is negligible, same grain bullet, one just designed for a flatter trajectory with more powder hence the difference in ft-lbs. The 30-30 with Hog Hammer rounds will kill any pig on the planet

Last edited:
The 30–30 started out in 1895 being called the .30 Winchester Smokeless; when adopted by other manufacturers, it was renamed to something more generic to avoid using the Winchester brand name. It’s a moderately powerful cartridge with a rimmed case that works well in lever action rifles. The bullets are almost always round or flat nosed because they were intended to be loaded in a tubular magazine. A spire-point bullet could strike the primer of the round ahead of it during recoil, setting off a catastrophic detonation in the magazine. Typical velocity from a 150 grain flat nose bullet is 2,390 ft/s, for 1,903 ft⋅lb energy. It’s probably the most popular deer hunting cartridge in North America.

The .308 Winchester came to us in 1952 as the civilian version of the 7.62x51mm which was adopted by NATO in 1954. Winchester, like the military, saw the advantage of a cartridge with close to the same power as the 30–06 in a shorter case. The case is rimless as it was designed to work in a semi-auto action and it uses a modern pointed bullet because the rifles chambered for it would use box magazines. Being designed for higher pressures (because nothing chambered for it could have been made in the 19th century) typical velocity with a 150 grain bullet is 2,820 ft/s, with 2,648 ft⋅lb energy. It also works extremely well in bolt action rifles.

The main thing to take away from this is the ft-lb energy. On a large pig that is negligible, same grain bullet, one just designed for a flatter trajectory with more powder hence the difference in ft-lbs. The 30-30 with Hog Hammer rounds will kill any pig on the planet

Well guess what bro, it would appear that 30-30 is also usable here on boars with a specific ammo ( Hornady Leverevolution or something like that). So that in an interesting turn of event I'll be able to use either a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94. In that context I won't need a scout rifle, lol. I guess we can close this thread, haha.

Would you have a recommendation between the Marlin or Winchester? Or it s all about the vintage year as both have produced junk as I understand.

You can check into something with the 6.5 creedmoor in short barrels.

Not sure how that's liked there but it's a good round up to elk and I think out performs the 308, but that's just me.

Well guess what bro, it would appear that 30-30 is also usable here on boars with a specific ammo ( Hornady Leverevolution or something like that). So that in an interesting turn of event I'll be able to use either a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94. In that context I won't need a scout rifle, lol. I guess we can close this thread, haha.

Would you have a recommendation between the Marlin or Winchester? Or it s all about the vintage year as both have produced junk as I understand.
I would go a Marlin if you want a scope you don't have to fuck around with the top ejection of a Winchester because of the Marlin's side ejection. Henry is also another viable brand.
The Miroku made Winchesters are fantastic though. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Core Lokt 170 grain soft point by Remington Ammunition will kill pigs of near any size, Remington Hog Hammer rounds will definitely kill any pig the Barnes TSX projectile they use are 100% copper with no lead so they have excellent penetration and weight retention in theory none of it should break off on impact. Buy the 30-30 and enjoy it. There is no need for a .308 if you intend to be within 200 - 300m of the boars. Even further out it will do the job.

I would go a Marlin if you want a scope you don't have to fuck around with the top ejection of a Winchester because of the Marlin's side ejection. Henry is also another viable brand.
The Miroku made Winchesters are fantastic though. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Core Lokt 170 grain soft point by Remington Ammunition will kill pigs of near any size, Remington Hog Hammer rounds will definitely kill any pig the Barnes TSX projectile they use are 100% copper with no lead so they have excellent penetration and weight retention in theory none of it should break off on impact. Buy the 30-30 and enjoy it. There is no need for a .308 if you intend to be within 200 - 300m of the boars. Even further out it will do the job.
If I plan to remain with iron sights, would you recommend the winchester or the marlin, all else equal?

An no, TBH, I don't plan to ever shoot at more than 100m with iron sights.

If I plan to remain with iron sights, would you recommend the winchester or the marlin, all else equal?

An no, TBH, I don't plan to ever shoot at more than 100m with iron sights.
Marlin irons are generally nicer than Winchester irons, The Winchester buckhorn sights are obnoxious. My advice would be to swap the standard irons for some with some fibre optic cord in them. Will make the world of difference.

Winchester Irons
20220214_000237_compress37-rotated.jpg

Marlin Irons
ljhygpx-jpg.83063

I would swap them for this in a heartbeat
l_962602170_1_m.jpg

I live in Europe....

You're in Germany, right? Out of curiosity, what are the gun laws like for you? My understanding is that Germany actually does have a shooting culture and a decent number of civilian-owned rifles and shotguns. It's just that, you need a bunch of licensing to get one, plus pistols are basically illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong

The Ruger Scout is definitely heavier than my Tikka, but it soaks up recoil well, too. I find my Tikka kicks disproportionately hard for calibre; both rifles are in .308, but after about a box, I'm kinda of sick of shooting the Tikka.
The only time I feel the kick on my Tikka .308 is when shooting from a bench, other wise I don't even notice the recoil

Have a look at the CZ 557 line comes with Irons and are nice guns even if some think there heavy

Last edited:
You're in Germany, right? Out of curiosity, what are the gun laws like for you? My understanding is that Germany actually does have a shooting culture and a decent number of civilian-owned rifles and shotguns. It's just that, you need a bunch of licensing to get one, plus pistols are basically illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong
I have looked only at the hunting licence. As a hunter you get to buy rifles and pistols and you can shoot at the range.

That s where the good part ends. You need retarded effort to get the hunting licence. 120 hours of classes plus shooting classes, 3 parts exam ( theoretical, oral, practical).
Classes cost like 2K and can take up to a year to finish.
It s German level of complication!

I have looked only at the hunting licence. As a hunter you get to buy rifles and pistols and you can shoot at the range.

That s where the good part ends. You need retarded effort to get the hunting licence. 120 hours of classes plus shooting classes, 3 parts exam ( theoretical, oral, practical).
Classes cost like 2K and can take up to a year to finish.
It s German level of complication!
To get a licence here you have to do a 4-8 hour safety course time depends on how many "Let met tell you about this time" stories your instructor has and it costs about $80. That's about it. 120 hours of classes is wild.

To get a licence here you have to do a 4-8 hour safety course time depends on how many "Let met tell you about this time" stories your instructor has and it costs about $80. That's about it. 120 hours of classes is wild.
Hunting licence in Germany sort of captures a couple German obsessions into one : the environment, animal rights, safety and redtape. It's a nightmare. I have been pondering it for years and I am still on the fence.

Hunting licence in Germany sort of captures a couple German obsessions into one : the environment, animal rights, safety and redtape. It's a nightmare. I have been pondering it for years and I am still on the fence.
once it's done it's done. The longer you put it off the more time you spend waiting imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back