Running and knee/joints pain

I just did 5 miles yesterday and hadn't run since last year prior to that. I'm 39 years old and weigh 200lbs. I feel good other than calves needing a stretch this morning. Must be my anti inflammatory diet as I used to have debilitating arthritis.

That, or the fact that I used to run barefoot on the grass a fair amount which helped train me to run in a way that minimizes impact. Modern running shoes encourage us to strike the ground with our heels too hard and our knees suffer as a result of this impact.

If you don't have a safe grass or surface to run on, consider investing in barefoot running shoes to protect your feet from cuts.

you must have a good base for running then.
ive always wanted to try the barefoot shoes but shin splints have scared me away. although long term would be great i usually just stuff a couple extra cushions in my shoes. I keep my running shoes for a long time so my heels get plenty worn out like you mentioned. so yes that's def a problem. Usually where i run is concrete or black top through city or time to time a country road.

i need cushion and alot of it otherwise my legs are toast by mile 10 ... like cant barely walk in the morning toast. mostly shins

i run regularly except this past year as well. and dam did i get slow asf and sooo out of shape.

good thing is its been a couple weeks now since i started up and my lungs are starting to participate as well as my legs.

im cheating on a treadmill right now probably for next 3-4 months due to heat waves. Im also the type to never drink anything regardless of distance so thats probably good I stay in doors ( even tho you have to run with a mask on)

wasnt gonna go today but now that im talking about it im getting that itch

my legs say no but my mind says "quit being a p'@$$y" <Lmaoo>

you must have a good base for running then.
ive always wanted to try the barefoot shoes but shin splints have scared me away. although long term would be great i usually just stuff a couple extra cushions in my shoes. I keep my running shoes for a long time so my heels get plenty worn out like you mentioned. so yes that's def a problem. Usually where i run is concrete or black top through city or time to time a country road.

i need cushion and alot of it otherwise my legs are toast by mile 10 ... like cant barely walk in the morning toast. mostly shins

i run regularly except this past year as well. and dam did i get slow asf and sooo out of shape.

good thing is its been a couple weeks now since i started up and my lungs are starting to participate as well as my legs.

im cheating on a treadmill right now probably for next 3-4 months due to heat waves. Im also the type to never drink anything regardless of distance so thats probably good I stay in doors ( even tho you have to run with a mask on)

wasnt gonna go today but now that im talking about it im getting that itch

my legs say no but my mind says "quit being a p'@$$y" <Lmaoo>
Concrete is the worst for your joints. Pavement is slightly better but dirt, grass, or sand is ideal

Concrete is the worst for your joints. Pavement is slightly better but dirt, grass, or sand is ideal

for sure no doubt .. the patches that i do come across i use but not too often they do.

I find running the city is more mentally soothing than a track or country road. the constant change of surroundings seems to make it a bit more pleasurable

country roads are when i have alot on my mind or i wanna test my discipline.

pretty sure thats normal. kinda like when you have s good song come on and for whatever reason it stops playing ... little bit of a buzz kill

Was gonna start running as I have no cardio machines at home. Wouldn't be more than a mile or two a few days a week. Is the joint damage particular to distance runners?

kind of depends on the individual. I got relatively high arches and get plantar facitis even with custom inserts if I run more than 3ish miles once a week.

Just came to announce that moment gyms opened and i started squatting with weights knee pain went away pretty much.

Just my experience though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back