Sabas FS Review

rmphilmacrac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
On my search for a good facesaver I came across the Sabas FS. A facesaver that was inspired by the king, the FG5000. Now I say inspired because it isn't a replica, instead Sabas took some pointers from the 5K and added their own style.

Look

This is without a doubt one of the best looking headgears that I own. Black, metallic red, and silver leather, my favorite combination. The leather is thick and even has a nice smell to it. The silver is probably the most shiny silver leather that I own.

I went for full leather construction and even the black leather on the inside just looks absolutely beautiful. The minimal liner used also goes surprisingly well with the colors I picked.

The headgear itself is amazingly compact compared to my other facesavers and even some headgears. The bar itself is also thin. Overall a very nice shape for a facesaver, something that's usually a bulky mess. Sabas once again keeping their gear compact.

Quality/Construction/Padding

The Sabas FS is made in Mexico and as expected the quality is amazing. The materials used are top notch and the craftsmanship is incredible. I have no errors in mine, no loose stitching, no weird bumps, everything is perfect. The quick clip is also very sturdy and while its a straight clip it stays on and has never come undone during sparring.

The padding might be my only true problem with this headgear mainly because it's very firm. For starters it is a layered foam and even the back pad is layered to offer the best protection. It does seem to break in a little but I remember after my first sparring session in the FS it felt like I had a bruise along my forehead due to the firm foam. The foam does a great job at absorbing shock though, you don't feel much while wearing this thing and during the actual spar you also dont feel the firm padding.

Liner/Comfort

As I mentioned I asked for full leather so my FS has almost no padding. That being said though the back pad, the crown loops, the cover of the quick clip, and the bars of the ears all of a liner. Those use a liner mostly to reduce some of the weight but the back pad has a liner so it grips better to the back of the head as leather would slide more easily. The liner dries quick and doesnt absorb sweat as much as other liners.

As I mentioned though the comfort isnt the best. The padding is just too firm and while it does break in some, its still firm. The good part is that during sparring you dont feel it. Its only before and sometimes afterwards where you feel a little sore primarily around the forehead because that's where this facesaver mainly sits. As I mentioned my first spar it felt like my forehead was bruised afterwards but that doesn't happen anymore. If you're willing to put the time in, this headgear becomes a little more comfortable but still not the best when it comes to comfort.

Fitting the headgear was also a hassle but I’m like that with almost every facesaver. It took me awhile to get it just right but now that I have the right fit it feels perfect. You just have to make sure you're bending the bar right and you get your fit, you're good to go.

Performance/Protection

The performance of this thing is incredible especially when it comes to facesavers. First of all the vision is perfection even peripheral vision, it doesnt blind me at all. The bar doesnt get in my way because for one its thin and for two I dont look at my opponent's head the whole time.

The back padding is again amazing due to the heavily padded sides and also the back pad that I asked for. As I mentioned before the FS is also compact so slipping and weaving is easily done. You wont have to slip extra to dodge punches or anything while wearing this.

The protection is also great, I havent been cut or bruised up while using this. No punch can go through the bar even with smaller gloves. The matter how hard the hit is the FS abrobs it all. Also while it weighs a good amount you absolutely dont feel it while wearing it. Thats amazing because I've used other headgears that almost make you claustrophobic because of how bulky and heavy they are. The performance of the FS is incredible and definitely one of my favorite Facesavers.

Weight

The Sabas FS weighs in at 19.5oz. Considering mine is full leather it is a little heavier than the norm. Even so though Sabas did an amazing job at keeping it balanced. The FS just does not feel like it weighs 19.5oz, while holding it or especislly while wearing it the thing just feels very light overall.

Cost

A custom FS goes for $200 with extras such as full leather or embroidery costing an extra $20 each. The stock FS are currently on sale for $175 as well. Its a pretty good price considering younge

Overall

As always Sabas has made an amazing piece of gear. The Sabas FS is not only one of the most beautiful headgears that I own but its also one of the best to use. With almost unbeatable protection and amazing performance its one of the facesavers that I would recommend to anyone looking for that extra protection without the annoyance of some bulky helmet.

+Looks

+Padding

+No Foul

+Protection

+Weight

+Quality

+Compact

+Vision

+Quick Clip

+/-Liner

+/-Price

-Comfort

CVAQekl.jpg

jvYuBlK.jpg

fp5V2Pp.jpg

e088Oxh.jpg

W0HXBy0.jpg

mzjjgzx.jpg

CVAQekl.jpg

I enjoyed reading your review and I like the red and black color scheme on your headgear.

thích đi hóng gió nơi này nơi nọ nhưng sợ

Back