Safest boxing gloves?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are the safest boxing gloves, in order to protect my sparring partners (not for my hands or something)?
Going by size is generally good thing, but the weight must also be in the padding of the knuckle, not somewhere on the wrist.
What are those ones worth?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=5db30afb291325f35bbf358bcc4480f4&th=1&psc=1
And should I take 180 oz or is 16 plenty enough (I weigh 180 and an ok-hitter)?
Thanks in advance sherbros.

What are the safest boxing gloves, in order to protect my sparring partners (not for my hands or something)?
Going by size is generally good thing, but the weight must also be in the padding of the knuckle, not somewhere on the wrist.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=5db30afb291325f35bbf358bcc4480f4&th=1&psc=1

We have special section for this. It's called Gear & Equipment Discussion. Better ask there.

Twins Muay Thai gloves are pretty puffy. If you're not worried about your wrists they should be fine. I'm unsure if Twins make a pure boxing gloves nowdays

@Valhoven can we move this to the Gear & Equipment forum.

Twins Muay Thai gloves are pretty puffy. If you're not worried about your wrists they should be fine. I'm unsure if Twins make a pure boxing gloves nowdays

@Valhoven can we move this to the Gear & Equipment forum.
Nice, I've looked that up and those gloves seem amazing, do you know where I can find them for the cheapest price (they are around 120-130 bucks where I've looked)?

Nice!
I think I'm gonna order them.
Just to have a broad idea, how much lighter does a punch feel when you get hit with those (in 18 oz) compared to let's say your typical 12oz Everlast gloves (what I used to spar with).
30% lighter? 40%?
There is a huge difference between quality leather and that pleather shit Everlast also a big difference with the padding used. Most heavyweights at my boxing gym use cheap 16oz Twins and have no issues. The real issues is simply people who don't know how to taper down their power for sparring.

@Minowafanatic might be able to recommend some different gloves as well. I think Boon and Fairtex Muay Thai gloves are all pretty similar to Twins if I recall. It's been 4 or 5 years since I used any of these brands so my memory is a little hazy.

There is a huge difference between quality leather and that pleather shit Everlast also a big difference with the padding used. Most heavyweights at my boxing gym use cheap 16oz Twins and have no issues. The real issues is simply people who don't know how to taper down their power for sparring.
Even if you know how to taper your power down (I spar between 40 and 60% intensity max, and I'm not a heavy hitter), its always better to have some extra-padding and extra-weight on the gloves to hit your sparring partner with as less impact as possible.
From what I've seen in youtube videos, it seems like there would be almost twice less impact if you throw a punch with 16 or 18oz twins compared to my shitty hard as fucked worn down 12 oz Everlast.
It seems like glove size matter a lot, there is a reason why Conor, who has 19 Kos in MMA, looked so pillowfisted against Floyd, the 4oz weight difference and the different padding of the gloves were a huge game changer, so I think the difference between shitty 12oz Everlast and a 16 or 18oz Twins is very big too.

Last edited:
Maybe you should rather consider investing in a good headgear.
I know everyone keeps saying headgear doesn't protect you but I can guarantee it does, as long as you keep focusing on defense as if you don't have headgear.
There is a reason why everyone spars with headgear, and it's not just because of cuts.
The more padding, the more protection.
Same thing goes for the gloves, 18oz are safer than 4oz because of the diminished speed of the punch and the padding.

Last edited:
@Minowafanatic might be able to recommend some different gloves as well. I think Boon and Fairtex Muay Thai gloves are all pretty similar to Twins if I recall. It's been 4 or 5 years since I used any of these brands so my memory is a little hazy.

IMO, having owned both, Twins BGVL-3 are better than Fairtex (BGV1) for what the OP asked. Twins have a bigger profile than Fairtex (BGV1) on top of being slightly softer at the same weight. Not that the BGV1 are hard, they're also comparatively softer than say Mexican gloves.

Back