Saturated doesn't cause heart disease!

It's hilarious how many sherbros get their medical science education from Joe Rogan.

Per the European Association of Liver Disease ( a meeting that I'm currently at), in a review of 220 red meat consumption papers only one study didn't find an increase risk of CVD, cancer, and metabolic disease., and that was a fishing village in Japan that consumed 3oz of red meat a day. Just 3.

You want to reduce the health consequences and all cause mortality from CVD, cancer, neuro degenerative and metabolic diseases? 1. reduce calories 2. Moderate red meat consumption (probably a lot lower than most people imagine 'moderate' to be 3. decrease saturated fat.

inb4: grass fed beef, gainz, auto-immune disease.

What’s too much meat? 3 days meat, 2 days fish 2 days veg.

were u really at the conference? What’s your field?

What’s too much meat? 3 days meat, 2 days fish 2 days veg.

were u really at the conference? What’s your field?

Yes, I was really at a liver disease conference last week. I work in the field of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and metabolic disease.

What's too much red meat? According to that study only the Japanese group that consumed 3oz of red meat per day did not increase rates of cancer, CVD, liver/kidney disease, and T2D. Every other group showed increased rates of those diseases with increased red meat consumption.

So based on empirical evidence, 3oz of red meat per day is not 'too much'.

Yes, I was really at a liver disease conference last week. I work in the field of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and metabolic disease.

What's too much red meat? According to that study only the Japanese group that consumed 3oz of red meat per day did not increase rates of cancer, CVD, liver/kidney disease, and T2D. Every other group showed increased rates of those diseases with increased red meat consumption.

So based on empirical evidence, 3oz of red meat per day is not 'too much'.

3 oz is so little it seems.
Makes sense though especially with the horrible ingredients in just about everything also.

question. Working in your field are you super health conscious? What strategies n tips can u share

3 oz is so little it seems.
Makes sense though especially with the horrible ingredients in just about everything also.

question. Working in your field are you super health conscious? What strategies n tips can u share

3oz of red meat, you can always eat more fish, shellfish, eggs, milk protein ....

I am very health conscious as a result of going to liver disease meetings. I could be better but I'm way ahead of the average person. Based on going to these meetings the order of priority::

1. reduce caloric intake. Excess calories is the biggest factor by far.
2. reduce red meat consumption
3. reduce saturated fat intake. Definitely eliminate (as much as possible) the highly stable fats that are used in baked goods at your grocery store. Anything that doesn't go rancid or moldy in a few days, has transfats to stabilize it.
4. sugary drinks. If you don't consume sugary drinks you don't appreciate how big of a problem this is. Substantial intake of fructose is an incredibly potent trigger of insulin resistance.
5. Processed foods -- and I'm happy to explain what that means. Just avoid anything that isn't made from a handful of easily identifiable whole ingredients.

Processed foods typically are loaded with sugars, stabilized fats, and preservatives that are bad for the gut microbiome. The thing most people do not know about is high temperature cooking.(fried food is just one example). High temperature cooking causes proteins to be glycated forming (maillard reaction) what are referred to as advanced glycated end-products.

Use common sense when eating. A healthy mix of meats/seafood, veggies & fruits. Alternating between them week by week. Eating smaller portion sizes more periodically instead of gorging. Reducing your fried food intake. Reducing processed foods period. Eat more whole foods. Drink lots of water.

I eat a lot of red meat and all my blood work is solid

Three things:

1. Post your numbers/test results.
2. the sensitivity and specificity of transaminase blood tests is terrible. A FIB-4 score would be a much better indicator
3. You could truly be one of the fortunate few but for the vast majority of people a high caloric diet with high quantities of read meat will result in metabolic syndrome.

Use common sense when eating. A healthy mix of meats/seafood, veggies & fruits. Alternating between them week by week. Eating smaller portion sizes more periodically instead of gorging. Reducing your fried food intake. Reducing processed foods period. Eat more whole foods. Drink lots of water.

THis^^^ is pretty much it. I'd only add one thing and that is really to avoid sugary drinks. Zero sugary drinks should be a target for anyone concerned about their health. You don't need them unless you're pumping out 600-800 calories per hour for a more than an hour.

THis^^^ is pretty much it. I'd only add one thing and that is really to avoid sugary drinks. Zero sugary drinks should be a target for anyone concerned about their health. You don't need them unless you're pumping out 600-800 calories per hour for a more than an hour.

Yup. Sugary drinks are like crack in a can. Chocolates, candies, anything with excess sugar should be avoided. Even fruits should mainly be eaten early on in the day as many of them contain high sugar. Whatever sugar the body cant break down turns into fat. Most people eat waaaay beyond what they should in a day when it comes to sugar or food in general. 1 can of pop already has more sugar then you should consume in a day. Dont even get me started with those fancy starbucks drinks.

Yup. Sugary drinks are like crack in a can. Chocolates, candies, anything with excess sugar should be avoided. Even fruits should mainly be eaten early on in the day as many of them contain high sugar. Whatever sugar the body cant break down turns into fat. Most people eat waaaay beyond what they should in a day when it comes to sugar or food in general. 1 can of pop already has more sugar then you should consume in a day. Dont even get me started with those fancy starbucks drinks.

One thing about fruit. Fruit in the grocery store is not what fruit was 30 or 50 years ago. Fruit has been modified and hybridized to be resistant to pests/disease, larger, and carry a shitload more sugar.

Find wild strawberries, raspberries or blueberries and see how small and sour they are to store bought versions. It's absolutely amazing what science has developed, just not necessarily good for us.

Evolution and evolutionary genetics are an important factor here. We did not evolve to eat this much sugar, or this many calories. We also evolved to be hungry a lot of the time.

One thing about fruit. Fruit in the grocery store is not what fruit was 30 or 50 years ago. Fruit has been modified and hybridized to be resistant to pests/disease, larger, and carry a shitload more sugar.

Find wild strawberries, raspberries or blueberries and see how small and sour they are to store bought versions. It's absolutely amazing what science has developed, just not necessarily good for us.

Evolution and evolutionary genetics are an important factor here. We did not evolve to eat this much sugar, or this many calories. We also evolved to be hungry a lot of the time.

The proof is out there in abundance. I was at the lakes and waterparks often this past summer. The amount of fat or obese people I seen, especially children, was alarming. Its like people just woke up one day and said...fuck it.

The worst thing is that its so acceptable nowadays. This woke era hasnt made it any easier to even try and educate people on health without being attacked. Being fat or obese has been embraced if anything and is glorified now on platforms everywhere.

Plenty of these "models" are pushing out a message that may be more destructive then they realize. Kids have little reason to look or feel fit now more then ever, primarily because there is no one telling them otherwise. That paired with this digital era of having everything super accesible or easy is making people lazy as sin.

The future is fat & lazy.

Three things:

1. Post your numbers/test results.
2. the sensitivity and specificity of transaminase blood tests is terrible. A FIB-4 score would be a much better indicator
3. You could truly be one of the fortunate few but for the vast majority of people a high caloric diet with high quantities of read meat will result in metabolic syndrome.
my wife is a physician at a family clinic. She stays on my blood work and overall health.

Back