Searching for Lauryn Hill

I adore her music. I wish she would focus on it. She is definitely doing her best Prince impression on this last album:

I actually have an embarrassing story about her. I was in Tobago with my wife listening to her first album in the pool and my wife put Archandroid on. After about 15 minutes I went on a mini rant about how she might not be the chosen one we thought and I wasn't a fan.....

Found out the next day that she was literally staying in the villa next to ours and our gardens/pool areas were separated by a fence. Ended up partying with her and her entourage later in the week though. She mentioned that someone heard us playing her music, but thankfully no mention of my rant.

<6>

I actually have an embarrassing story about her. I was in Tobago with my wife listening to her first album in the pool and my wife put Archandroid on. After about 15 minutes I went on a mini rant about how she might not be the chosen one we thought and I wasn't a fan.....

Found out the next day that she was literally staying in the villa next to ours and our gardens/pool areas were separated by a fence. Ended up partying with her and her entourage later in the week though. She mentioned that someone heard us playing her music, but thankfully no mention of my rant.

<6>
LOL, so you don't like Archandroid? That's my favorite. The biggest hit from the album was nearly my least favorite ("Tightrope"):

The way she blends her transitions throughout the album is seamless.

LOL, so you don't like Archandroid? That's my favorite. The biggest hit from the album was nearly my least favorite ("Tightrope"):

The way she blends her transitions throughout the album is seamless.

That track is nice.

The album's grown on me since, mainly because my wife keeps playing it. Back then I just expected more from her and I like her most when she's being energetic or "sassy". She's still one of my favourites.

If you've not heard. This is nice from Cleo Sol. Simple song, but she pulls it off so well.

Thought of this thread when I came across this personal favorite watching a video I highly recommend to red-blooded males (check out Forest Nymph 30). I showed it to a bunch of friends around early 2018, sure everyone would love it, but they seemed disinterested. Then, several months later, Apple stuck it in a commercial. It has been out since 2015. Just goes to show that your friends won't always get it, and also that there really is a tipping point. That timeline is no coincidence. Quite unique in that she's Israeli.

*Edit* NVM, Apple used an Israeli who covered this song for a spot around the same time. Alessia is Canadian. One deeply appreciates Alessia after listening to this:

Last edited:
Great album, too bad I can't stand her as a person

I only know Lauryn Hill from Eminem referencing her on his first couple albums. ;)

Thought of this thread when I came across this personal favorite watching a video I highly recommend to red-blooded males (check out Forest Nymph 30). I showed it to a bunch of friends around early 2018, sure everyone would love it, but they seemed disinterested. Then, several months later, Apple stuck it in a commercial. It has been out since 2015. Just goes to show that your friends won't always get it, and also that there really is a tipping point. That timeline is no coincidence. Quite unique in that she's Israeli.

*Edit* NVM, Apple used an Israeli who covered this song for a spot around the same time. Alessia is Canadian. One deeply appreciates Alessia after listening to this:

My wife used to love the 1st track. Haven't heard it for a while and forgot she even existed.

We were listening to this around the same time. Sadly the original version is gone and this version has annoying adlibs on it:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, these girls from New Orleans definitely aren't like Lauryn, but this is probably the best TinyDesk concert ever given:

These girls and their group continue to put out some of the most interesting and unique sounds in contemporary R&B-Hop:

Yeah it's weird she hasn't made any new music since 1998. And she was in a fantastic group called The Fugees and they also only made one album. What a waste of talent imo.

Can’t wait to check out the links itt.

<6>
Great story, I literally love her. Is she heartbreakingly beautiful in person?

If I get a chance to plug Mystic, I'm taking it.

She always reminded my of Lauryn in that she was both an accomplished rapper and singer. In all honesty though, I actually prefer Cuts for luck and scars for freedom over The Miseducation.

Last edited:
She was great in Sister Act 2.

I thoroughly enjoyed both movies. It's a shame Whoopi turned into such a TDS suffering nutcase.

Wish she had more songs like "Lost ones", as far as female MCs go she's one of the best to do it.

This was an LG-sponsored YouTube ad, and for once, I found myself pleased rather than annoyed. Apparently these three were the winners of an LG "Young Voices" competition whose award was collaboration with H.E.R. (the Grammy-award winning artist who has already been mentioned in this thread). Once again, H.E.R.'s music reminds me more of Lauryn's sound than perhaps any other modern artist. I'm also deeply impressed by Claire Ernst of Nashville, TN. What a voice.

Wow, did not expect that.

I've heard good things about the last Lianne La Havas album, not had chance to check it out yet myself though.

I did listen to the recent Jasmine Sullivan EP but I thought that one sucked personally.

Back