SEKIRO SUCKS! camera, hitboxes, AI, saves, tracking, load screens (its kinda broken)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGuerrilla

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was incredibly psyched when I first saw some gameplay on this title because I spent a good portion of my life playing Tenchu and absolutely loved it so I could immediately recognize Sekiro as its predecessor. You could avoid most of it's hoke if you try and at the end of the day it's the best ninja/shinobi game series ever created.

Then I brought sekiro home and was shocked when I started playing this title! At first it seems really cool but it had some weird hitboxes and tracking and one of the worst cameras I've seen in a long time.

When I saw the giant ogre spin in a 90-degree animation busting herky-jerky to grab me I thought it was a glitch but it wasn't!!!

Apparently the fromsoft people declared war on dodging and allow a lot of enemies to spin like paper mache puppets and hit you even though they're in mid Arc of a heavy downward strike or in midair diving directly at you like a football spear tackle

The AI is so bad enemies can track you through walls once they're alerted and can even hit you in many cases

The camera is so herky-jerky it could give a Russian tank driver a seizure

beating a boss takes tedious pattern memorization which isn't the worst thing in the world but a hour-long load screen compounded by really painful push back save features makes it a complete bich

I love the level design, grappling hook, wall jump and the overall graphics/ cinematics but the gameplay was lazy and broken. I thought it was especially cool that you had to manually grab ledges

At the end of the day they took one of my favorite games and shoehorned a bunch of nerdy Soul mechanics in making it mostly a big hot mess with a couple really cool sequences to keep you just barely interested enough to keep playing it.

The camera...yeah. It's a problem(Fromsoft really does need to work on it). In select areas, anyways. That's about it.

It's a hard bitch of a game, but the only bullshit I could really call on it, is the camera. Oh', and some attacks by certain enemies do kind of break the system a bit, like that Ogre near the beginning with his homing dropkicks and grabs(grab attacks are a little bullshitty throughout). The rest is just whatever. It is what it is, and most of it's extreme difficulty is by design. I can whine all day that the enemies are OP, and the bosses being absurdly demanding, but that's the nature of the game and I knew what I was getting into. You either got what it takes, or you don't.

The camera...yeah. It's a problem(Fromsoft really does need to work on it). In select areas, anyways. That's about it.

It's a hard bitch of a game, but the only bullshit I could really call on it, is the camera. Oh', and some attacks by certain enemies do kind of break the system a bit, like that Ogre near the beginning with his homing dropkicks and grabs(grab attacks are a little bullshitty throughout). The rest is just whatever. It is what it is, and most of it's extreme difficulty is by design. I can whine all day that the enemies are OP, and the bosses being absurdly demanding, but that's the nature of the game and I knew what I was getting into. You either got what it takes, or you don't.
It's actually relatively easy if you know what unlock requirements you need but if you try a boss you're not appropriately powered up for it's going to be one hell of a pain in the ass.

The difficulty level isn't near as annoying as the load screens and setbacks.

good point aboit grabs, All the grabs have some of the worst hitboxes known to gaming....you can look up countless YouTube videos of how bad the animation is on enemy grabs and of course you don't have any yourself

What was really sad is the movement modifiers from the Tenchu series were abandoned... that game was so awesome

It's actually relatively easy if you know what unlock requirements you need but if you try a boss you're not appropriately powered up for it's going to be one hell of a pain in the ass.

I never really looked at Sekiro that way. I didn't find the upgrades all that essential. It's more pattern recognition and timing. The upgrades might grant you an extra few hits, or some unique attack that might work as a brief distraction for them, but for the most part, I found the game to be more demanding of your actual skills than anything else. It ain't "Dark Souls", in that you can't always mitigate the difficulty through grinding and whatnot. You hit a limit on your "skills", and there's nothing more you can do than just beat it. You can't phone a friend, and you can't grind. You eventually just run into walls, and nothing will save you but your own reactions.

good point aboit grabs, All the grabs have some of the worst hitboxes known to gaming....you can look up countless YouTube videos of how bad the animation is on enemy grabs and of course you don't have any yourself

Yeah, I would've liked a counter while in the grab, to at least give you a chance to do something. Especially considering how ridiculously powerful those moves usually are.

My only real gripe with Sekiro is it's somewhat outlandish difficulty in some areas, brought on by cheap enemy placement and mobs. I think it went a little overboard in some areas. Take that fat drunken boss guy, for instance. Does he really need a mob of like twelve enemies to deal with, complete with cheap ass projectile enemies who will pot shot you relentlessly? It's ridiculous.

In the end though, I just accept it. Every scenario in the game is beatable by traditional means, and there is a logic to it all. It's just a bit too much for me to power through it. I got to a point in that game where I was still gradually progressing, but I wasn't having any fun in conquering it's challenges. Win or lose, I was always pissed off and annoyed, so I just set it aside. Not for me.

I never really looked at Sekiro that way. I didn't find the upgrades all that essential. It's more pattern recognition and timing. The upgrades might grant you an extra few hits, or some unique attack that might work as a brief distraction for them, but for the most part, I found the game to be more demanding of your actual skills than anything else. It ain't "Dark Souls", in that you can't always mitigate the difficulty through grinding and whatnot. You hit a limit on your "skills", and there's nothing more you can do than just beat it. You can't phone a friend, and you can't grind. You eventually just run into walls, and nothing will save you but your own reactions.

Yeah, I would've liked a counter while in the grab, to at least give you a chance to do something. Especially considering how ridiculously powerful those moves usually are.

My only real gripe with Sekiro is it's somewhat outlandish difficulty in some areas, brought on by cheap enemy placement and mobs. I think it went a little overboard in some areas. Take that fat drunken boss guy, for instance. Does he really need a mob of like twelve enemies to deal with, complete with cheap ass projectile enemies who will pot shot you relentlessly? It's ridiculous.

In the end though, I just accept it. Every scenario in the game is beatable by traditional means, and there is a logic to it all. It's just a bit too much for me to power through it. I got to a point in that game where I was still gradually progressing, but I wasn't having any fun in conquering it's challenges. Win or lose, I was always pissed off and annoyed, so I just set it aside. Not for me.
I actually started a new game once I was 90% through my first run and found the experience much more enjoyable because I had enough practice to be good at the Rhythm and understand it's demanding requirements but once I had my character farmed up a bit I noticed I was breezing through the game.

The spear and the firecrackers are particularly useful

I often find myself ringing the demon Bell and going back to the antechamber or the old grave to have a good old fashioned sword fight but many of the enemies are a bit silly and too fanciful for my tastes.

Probably the most overrated From software game. I liked it but game of the year? Fuck no.
7/10 and I’m being generous, I haven’t touched the game since 2019.
Tenchu Z was a masterpiece with a few silly tropes

Tenchu z had half a good idea and fucked up everything. I say this as a DIEhard tenchu fan who even posted regularly on " A Honed-Ki " .

The death/disease system still makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Started Nioh 2 a week ago, its a thousand times better.

It is what it is, and most of it's extreme difficulty is by design. I can whine all day that the enemies are OP, and the bosses being absurdly demanding, but that's the nature of the game and I knew what I was getting into. You either got what it takes, or you don't.

I hate this take. If I make a game that requires you to jump over a pit 10,000 times but I leave in a bug where supergravity sucks you into the pit every dozen times or so, I haven't challenged you as a player, I've just made a shitty game.

The whole point of a souls game is that you die a lot so you can learn from your deaths. Yes there's certain "gotcha" moments like rolling boulders, hidden monsters, and boss mechanics that are impossible to see on the first run through, but that's the design. You learn from the death and organically grow as a player. That's why it's so popular.

In Sekiro you can't avoid some of the grabby hitbox shit no matter how much you learn, you're just rolling dice on whether or not the a.i. will use those grabby moves at the wrong time. Your deaths aren't an opportunity to learn, they're a punishment for something you as a player had very little to do with. It's awful.

Last edited:
I hate this take. If I make a game that requires you to jump over a pit 10,000 times but I leave in a bug where supergravity sucks you into the pit every dozen times or so, I haven't challenged you as a player, I've just made a shitty game.

Nah', there's a difference between fair and unfair difficulty, and the design of the game surrounding it. Sekiro is well designed. It's just hard as fuck, and requires a high skill level to beat. Granted, if you're not that good of a player, a lot of it will seem impossible and cheap, because few have the capability to just blame themselves. No offense intended, as I am not that good either. But if you can step outside that, you should be able to recognize that there is a method to the madness that is slowly teaching you to become better at the game, since there is actually fundamental skills to be learned and the game is designed for you to utilize them all with extreme precision to proceed, as opposed to getting one shotted on "fuck you in the ass difficulty" by some bullet sponge.

There's a reason why games like "Ninja Gaiden", "Sekiro", the Souls series, etc, are highly praised, and games that are hard for the hell of it, aren't.

“What’s that smell? Sour grapes all over the shop.”

Weird how so many people have been able to beat the entire game without taking a single hit. And an even greater number have done it without dying, given that it’s such a broken mess.

FromSoft tale as old as time, blame the mechanics/programming when struggling, not learning what you did wrong and getting better.

you should be able to recognize that there is a method to the madness that is slowly teaching you to become better at the game, since there is actually fundamental skills to be learned and the game is designed for you to utilize them all with extreme precision to proceed, as opposed to getting one shotted on "fuck you in the ass difficulty" by some bullet sponge.

The latter describes Sekiro perfectly and you know it. Enemies can literally grab you outside their range and fling you off a cliff even while you're in the middle of a dodge. There is no learning involved at all.

The latter describes Sekiro perfectly and you know it. Enemies can literally grab you outside their range and fling you off a cliff even while you're in the middle of a dodge. There is no learning involved at all.

The game has it's moments of bullshit, no doubt. However, you're pointing out one tiny flaw that really isn't that intrusive outside of a handful of enemies. However, there is always learning involved. People have beaten "Sekiro" without getting hit once. Sure, the hit boxes during the grabs can be bullshit, but if you know what their dimensions are, you can avoid the attacks.

You're just nitpicking and defining the game by some sparse moments that frustrated you. You just started "Nioh", right? You're gonna tell me that game has no similar moments of bullshit? C'mon. All these games have certain bullshitty moments. That doesn't mean they're defined by them.

You just started "Nioh", right? You're gonna tell me that game has no similar moments of bullshit?

Nioh 1 sure.

Nioh 2 I can honestly and definitively say no. The battle systems are tight as all fuck. It's amazing.

But it's not just the hitboxes that are the issue. It's the enemy mechanics (throwing someone off a cliff???) and that trash disease system that literally punishes you when you die even if you take up the harder option and don't resurrect. It's bad game design hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back