Share your weight-loss tips and tricks

Eat less.

I know that that'll sound like a smart ass/asshole answer, and I know that I posted stand-up comedy, but it's the truth. Portion control is the golden ticket. Instead of eating 4-8 eggs, eat 2 or 3. Instead of 2 potatoes, have 1. Instead of a pound of meat, have half or a quarter of a pound. Instead of a cup of rice, have half a cup. You can literally eat the same food...just eat less of it.

Eat less.

I know that that'll sound like a smart ass/asshole answer, and I know that I posted stand-up comedy, but it's the truth. Portion control is the golden ticket. Instead of eating 4-8 eggs, eat 2 or 3. Instead of 2 potatoes, have 1. Instead of a pound of meat, have half or a quarter of a pound. Instead of a cup of rice, have half a cup. You can literally eat the same food...just eat less of it.

Who the fuck eats 4-8 eggs.
I mean I have 3 in a smoothie but that is a breakfast thing to keep me going until lunch time.

And on topic (more on topic); I was going to say the same thing and end it with 'fatty'.

And I say this as someone who is now 220lbs @ 5 ft 11.
When I was 185lbs I was counted as obese. And I was significantly more muscle than now.

Who the fuck eats 4-8 eggs.

Years ago, when I was big and lifting, breakfast was always at least 6 eggs along with potatoes and fruit. I used to joke that I lifted to support my eating habit. Getting to eat big is an underrated perk of being big :D

Reactions: Gio
Yep just eat less. BTW why can't I ented the dieting loggs section of the forum. I wanna make a log.

#1 I gotta do is throw out candy/chocolate and adding sugar like to coffee.

Use an app. Track what you eat. Figure out what your TDEE is and eat below it. It isn't magic. It just takes time. Fast massive weight loss isn't sustainable. You need to make lifestyle changes and learn how to look at portions. You still want to enjoy your life.

No need for fancy tricks; just limit carb intake to less than 100 a day. Wakeup and do cardio before work. Train/Strength+Conditioning afternoon session; and try to intermittent fast for 16-18 hours, plenty of water, sugar free drinks help. NO ALCOHOL. Guarantee you lose 20lbs a month easy of FAT.

Keep eating fats. Even though they are usually calories dense, they are essential and very hunger satiating.
Avoid sugary fruits, especially fruit juices.
Either cut carb to do keto if you are not the active type or eat some carbs and exercise more.
Find a hobby fun for you that require you to exert physical effort (Cycling, hiking, camping)

One that is often not talked about enough is identify the cause of what made you need to lose weight, in a deeper level since it's all basically some combination of not spending enough calories while consuming too much. But for example, some people have very high pressure job, so they stress eat and not sleep enough, so the job is the root cause of the weight issue.

You might get better answer if you also tell people your current situation: age/weight/body fat/etc...

Diet wise: Meat, fish, eggs, 0% fat Greek yogurt, vegetables. Carbs if you need them, just portion control these like a communist. You want a flexible diet or you'll never stick to it. Normal people don't need to mimic an athlete's extreme approach.

Two sample days from last week, one weekend day, and a working day with less time:

Working day, all pre-prepped Sunday afternoon:

Breakfast: 3 large boiled eggs w/tahini sauce, and sriracha.

Lunch: Rump steak (strips), stir fried w/ broccoli, chow mien sauce, small serving instant jasmine rice.

Dinner: shredded chicken breast, cauliflower mash, pre made red wine gravy, leftover broccoli.

Snack/dessert: 0% fat Greek yogurt, chia seeds, strawberries, honey.

Weekend:

Breakfast: Garlic infused 0% Greek yogurt, two poached eggs, chili butter drizzle, pumpkin seed toast.

Lunch: Grilled salmon fillet, cauliflower mash, roasted brussels sprouts, chimichurri.

Dinner: Shredded chicken & shrimp paella, peas, sundried tomatoes.

Dessert: lemon sorbet

If you're time poor like me during the week, I suggest baking several plain chicken breasts on a sheet pan, a batch of steak strips, doing a batch of boiled eggs, doing one large tray or pan of mixed veggies. Then all the basics are there for the week, and you can flavour them as you go to stop boredom setting in.

Other than that? A little bit of exercise daily no matter what it is. If you have a specific goal in mind, pay for a trainer to set you up.

Technically of course it's a simple "calories in < calories out" but we all know that in reality it's not that easy.

Number one would be make sure whatever diet you're doing is realistic in terms of how it fits into your life and make sure the foods you eat you actually enjoy (or at least don't hate). I tried being veggie for a short while and absolutely hated it, felt like shit the whole time and mostly lost weight because I just didn't feel like eating, which obviously had a negative effect on my training, work and life in general. I also did Keto - lost a fair bit of weight but it isn't sustainable long term for me due to work/social life and was very frustrating how easily you get kicked out of ketosis (plus it messed with my guts big time).

Secondly, as others have mentioned look at your overall lifestyle and identify where you are going wrong. My biggest issue down the years has always been stress eating due to work and drinking too much beer. Things like relaxing in the sauna/steam/jacuzzi in the evening after training instead of going home/out where the opportunity to eat/drink shit is high make a big difference. Get plenty of sleep as well.

After that my main tips are:

Good fats & protein (150g+ per day) are key as they keep you full. Quick carbs, though tasty, don't.
Eat plenty of fibre (30g+ per day). Helps satiety and keeps you regular.
Your first meal of the day determines the rest - make it count.
Your last meal of the day should be little to no carbs regardless of your overall plan.
Preparation is important - if it gets to 8-9pm and you're starving with nothing in the fridge you will eat shite (takeaways etc).
Plenty of water (with added lemon juice/salt/electrodes if you want).
Every day is a new day - one bad meal/day etc isn't the end of the world. Don't compound it.
Intermittent Fasting (IF) isn't a magic bullet but helps with discipline and sticking to a routine (eg only eat 2pm-8pm).
Cut out the booze.
Make sure you eat enough: if you go super low on calories you will feel like shit and it won't last.

An example day that works for me:

Fasted cardio.
3-4 eggs + veggies (onions/peppers etc) omelette and smoked salmon/bacon/sausage/cheese with a protein shake.
Tuna (2 tins) with salad (spinach/lettuce/tomatoes/beetroot/avocado etc)
Protein smoothie (whey + fibre + berries/banana etc)
Weights/boxing/BJJ.
Big portion of fatty meat (chicken thighs/steak/lamb etc) + veggies (asparagus/tomatoes/broccoli etc)
Big portion full fat greek yoghurt with nuts + fibre (flaxseed etc).

I try for 200g+ protein,100g fat and 50-100g carbs (mostly pre/post training) as well as 30g+ fibre.

One meal a day and 500 kettlebell swings daily. Down 10lbs in 2 weeks and it's not water weight.

Track your calories. Accountability and discipline are what you need.

this x 1000

Most people DRMATICALLY UNDERCOUNT their calories and are off on their macros

Yep just eat less. BTW why can't I ented the dieting loggs section of the forum. I wanna make a log.

#1 I gotta do is throw out candy/chocolate and adding sugar like to coffee.

The truth is for most people, eating less is the answer. However, for those who truly aren't eating enough and are constantly putting their body into "starvation" mode, eating more, and more frequently, may be the answers. If you aren't regularly going days without eating, the answer is almost always eat less.

Use an app. Track what you eat. Figure out what your TDEE is and eat below it. It isn't magic. It just takes time. Fast massive weight loss isn't sustainable. You need to make lifestyle changes and learn how to look at portions. You still want to enjoy your life.

Yup, use an app to track your food. TDEE/BMR and then eat 10-20% below that. You don't really want to go much less than 20%. It's a long story.

No need for fancy tricks; just limit carb intake to less than 100 a day. Wakeup and do cardio before work. Train/Strength+Conditioning afternoon session; and try to intermittent fast for 16-18 hours, plenty of water, sugar free drinks help. NO ALCOHOL. Guarantee you lose 20lbs a month easy of FAT.

limiting carbs is >>one way<< of many to lose weight but isn't sustainable for most people, but the reality is you need to be in an energy deficit, and how you get there is not really the important part

In the past two months I've gone from looking okay to about 12-13% bodyfat. As others have said already, a massive part of that is watching how many calories you take in per day. I don't want to say the 2000 average is bullshit, but it's kind of bullshit. Everyone has an exact number that is the breakeven point, and it's AROUND 2000. But it's different depending on a bunch of things. Find yours. Find it, and go at a deficit of maybe 200 per day. You can do more if you have the discipline and the drive for it, but I don't recommend it.

I do cardio seven days a week, and I lift three. As I'm putting more and more into my workouts, my cardio will play less of a roll, since more muscle means less cardio fat burning.

Dont overcomplicate it. Find your TDEE, dock 200-300 calories, 40% carb, 35% protein, 25% fat ratio. Weigh every single morning and take your weekly average. When it stops going down either dock more calories or do more cardio. Rinse and repeat until desired results

I'm not into counting calories and it's impossible if you have to eat out a lot and eat diverse meals cause of circumstances

Plus I don't enjoy it at all

One thing that helped me the last days is realizing why, why I wanna lose weight.

And why I don't like being at this weight anymore.

Get and use a food scale. People underestimate the food they consume.

Eat more fibrous foods.

Consider using extra metamucil for fiber.

Drink more water.

Prep your food, put it in containers, and freeze them as necessary. You can prep a whole week's of food this way.

Try drinking a half liter bottle of water with a tablespoon or two of apple vinegar per day.

Fast if you can. 1-2 day fasts become increasingly easier. You reduce not only caloric intake but also trigger all the beneficial aspects of fasting.

Good responses already. But to summarize for somebody thats just starting out trying to focus on losing weight, portion control and cardio will get you the results your looking for.

If you can stay disciplined for 2-3 months, its starts to become second nature.

Alcohol is one of the bigger busters unfortunately, not just because of the high calorie intake, but because of the foods we take in the next day trying to sober up. You can help this by making sure you have a good 45-90 minute session before a night of drinking and sober up by activity instead.

Edit* Oh, and water water water

I'm not into counting calories and it's impossible if you have to eat out a lot and eat diverse meals cause of circumstances

Plus I don't enjoy it at all

This is exactly why you're in the state you're in, and why it's going to be so much harder to exit said state. If you refuse to take responsibility for how much food is entering your body then your best bet is to eat one meal a day. Either that or compress your eating window to less than 4 hours each day. A lot harder to overeat when you don't have enough time to get those excessive calories in.

Back