Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Here we can all throw up gamerverse sound bites in the area of emerging partnerships, platforms, and trends. Studio news not excluded so long as a discussion wouldn't be warranted dedicated solely to the topic.

Ideally, I'm thinking platforms and trends in competition to industry pillars and related pursuits – Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, all of whom already having dugouts elsewhere in our sub.

Examples here would be the latest from Amazon, Netflix, Google and/or whoever decides to throw their hat into the ring. A dumpster fire at a Ubisoft subsidiary or new studio founding are inbounds too. No need to thread independent discussions around these topics for a thread see two responses, then get buried after a few days.

Thanks for contributing where you can, fam. Game on.

Netflix gaming looking to expand by year end despite poor player numbers:

Netflix gaming looking to expand by year end despite poor player numbers:

I gotta say I'm surprised more phone gamers aren't picking up on that. Apparently it's like the Apple Arcade or Google's Play Pass, both services requiring a paid subscription, where all of the games on the service prohibit in-game ads and in-app purchases. Seems like a pretty dope perk since people are subscribing to Netflix for the movie/TV streaming. The star games in the library...

The new game / IP from the creators of the Subnautica games will be revealed at Gamescom

I gotta say I'm surprised more phone gamers are picking up on that. Apparently it's like the Apple Arcade or Google's Play Pass, both services requiring a paid subscription, where all of the games on the service prohibit in-game ads and in-app purchases. Seems like a pretty dope perk since people are subscribing to Netflix for the movie/TV streaming. The star games in the library...

Had no idea Netflix had games. Always wanted to try Into the Breach so I'll give that a shot. I've heard good things about Moonlighter too.

AppLovin a mobile monetization company have offered to buy Unity in a $17.5bn deal.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/applovin-offers-buy-unity-software-2022-08-09/

Gaming software company AppLovin Corp (APP.O) on Tuesday made an offer to buy peer Unity Software Inc (U.N) in a $17.54 billion all-stock deal, looking to tap into growing demand for three-dimensional gaming.

The enterprise value of the deal is $20 billion. AppLovin will offer $58.85 for each Unity share, which represents a premium of 18% to Unity's Monday closing price.

Under the proposed deal, Unity will own 55% of the combined company's outstanding shares, representing about 49% of the voting rights.

They have games!?????

Battalion 1944 developer Bulkhead has announced that its relationship with Square Enix has come to a “formal end,” which means the long-awaited console version of the World War II shooter has officially been scrapped.

Train wreck averted, IMO. Lol @ levelling up Pinkman or scavenging for Mr White:

"I'm not much of a video game player but how can you not know Grand Theft Auto?" he said. "I remember saying to the two gentleman who said yes originally to Breaking Bad, I said 'who owns Grand Theft Auto, can't you have like a module, can there be like a Breaking Bad [adaptation]?'

Train wreck averted, IMO. Lol @ levelling up Pinkman or scavenging for Mr White:

"I'm not much of a video game player but how can you not know Grand Theft Auto?" he said. "I remember saying to the two gentleman who said yes originally to Breaking Bad, I said 'who owns Grand Theft Auto, can't you have like a module, can there be like a Breaking Bad [adaptation]?'

Wonder if Sony were consulted as they own the BB universe IP's

Streamer swatted (never heard of her) but SWAT ends up being on-feed with her and cool about the misunderstanding, lol:

Not really sure where else to post this and I don’t know if there’s a thread for rampant speculation or a wishlist for games we want to exist, but Quakecon runs from Thursday to Sunday and I really hope that they’ll unveil a remaster of Quake 2 for its 25th anniversary like they did with Quake 1 at last year’s Quakecon. Quake 2 was one of my favourite games of all time.

Not really sure where else to post this and I don’t know if there’s a thread for rampant speculation or a wishlist for games we want to exist, but Quakecon runs from Thursday to Sunday and I really hope that they’ll unveil a remaster of Quake 2 for its 25th anniversary like they did with Quake 1 at last year’s Quakecon. Quake 2 was one of my favourite games of all time.
I tried playing the Quake Champions game. Nobody was on. Couldn't find a match.

I tried playing the Quake Champions game. Nobody was on. Couldn't find a match.

That sucks. I’ve never played Quake Champions but I haven’t had a gaming PC in like 15 years, since before I went to law school. Lord knows if I ever got one probably the first titles I would want to play would be Quake Champions, Quake 2 RTX and the alpha of the Unreal Tournament game that Epic canceled a few years back (damn you Fortnite). Would probably have a bitch of a time finding anyone to play any of them with though.

Back