Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

We're going to Baghdad for a Basim origin story, leaks are indicating; has legs given latest role/appearance in series, IMO.

2023 game will be called AC Rift or AC Mirage, leaks continue. Previous Aztec hearsay always seemed far-fetched but not to be confused with the AC Infinity project, which still looks on track.

Let's see what gets confirmed next month as Ubi is having a big September announcement for the series. Apparently an AC1 remake has been in the works as well, which we've heard rumblings on for a little bit now:

Looking like IO Interactive's MS exclusive Project Dragon and the Project 007 games could be set for release after March 2025

Apparently iPhones are getting a price hike across the board or then per one model?

A small group of Dev's who worked on Anno 2070 have worked on an update o keep the game fully playable after Ubisoft's announcement of a service shutdown

Hey Anno Community,
It's time for an update on Anno 2070, we know many of you have been waiting for news.

We have worked hard this summer to update the game, upgrade and replace various legacy online services and test if it all runs smoothly in the end. Thank you to the testers from our community who helped us find some newly introduced bugs.

We started with Anno 2070's singleplayer (campaign, sandbox, missions) as well as special features (the Ark, world events, the voting system and achievements), then tackled the multiplayer (regular versus mode, coop mode and domination mode) and the migration of player progression (old savegames, existing Ark with its items).

Today, we are happy to announce that we'll be able to release an update to Anno 2070, that will allow you to continue to play the game past September 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and hopefully for many more years to come.
After installing said update, you will be able to do World Events and vote in the regular council elections as you used to. You will also keep your full progression and be able to continue your existing savegames including your Arks and their content.
For the multiplayer fans, be it in coop mode or PvP, you dive right back into the Domination Mode or simply a regular multiplayer match.
In fact, your experience should even be a bit smoother now than before: We ported the game to 64bit, which enables the game to address all your PC's memory. Additionally, the new online services should make for a nicer matchmaking experience. And you can still use the in-game friendslist to set up matches.

Anno 2070 will enter maintenance mode on September 6th at 6 AM UTC+2. During this maintenance, we're going to migrate all your progression to the new version. This maintenance could take up to 24h, meaning that from September 7th, 6 AM UTC+2, onward, you can dive into the updated version of Anno 2070.
Be assured, we will give you an update as soon as the maintenance is over.

Thank you for your support – and a special shout-out to the small crew that worked on the update over the last months!

Reveal on Bethesda's Prey from Arkane Austin:

Prey director Raphaël Colantonio has said developer Arkane Studios was forced to use the Prey name by Bethesda, despite his disagreement and feeling "gross" by using it.

"Calling Prey Prey, that was very very hurtful to me. I did not want to call this game Prey, and I had to say I wanted to anyway in front of journalists," Colantonio said. "There is a bit of the artistic, the creative side that is insulted when you tell this artist: 'You know your game? It's going to be called Prey.' And you go like, 'I don't think it should. I think it's a mistake'."

Reveal on Bethesda's Prey from Arkane Austin:

Prey director Raphaël Colantonio has said developer Arkane Studios was forced to use the Prey name by Bethesda, despite his disagreement and feeling "gross" by using it.

"Calling Prey Prey, that was very very hurtful to me. I did not want to call this game Prey, and I had to say I wanted to anyway in front of journalists," Colantonio said. "There is a bit of the artistic, the creative side that is insulted when you tell this artist: 'You know your game? It's going to be called Prey.' And you go like, 'I don't think it should. I think it's a mistake'."

Not surprised. Dick move imo. I haven’t played that Prey yet, but the 2006 one was a great game. And the canceled sequel that people still lament to this day about losing also could have been super interesting.

I still don’t understand how or why Bethesda acquired the rights to Prey. The original was initially started by 3D Realms, then restarted and developed by Human Head, and published by 2K. Not sure how or why Bethesda came out of seemingly nowhere to scoop up that IP.

Not surprised. Dick move imo. I haven’t played that Prey yet, but the 2006 one was a great game. And the canceled sequel that people still lament to this day about losing also could have been super interesting.

I still don’t understand how or why Bethesda acquired the rights to Prey. The original was initially started by 3D Realms, then restarted and developed by Human Head, and published by 2K. Not sure how or why Bethesda came out of seemingly nowhere to scoop up that IP.

Agreed the 2006 game is one of those games I can just never forget about. Yes in general it was just a standard FPS game but it had a lot of small little things going on that just made it a joy to play. I was annoyed when they used Prey for this game for seemingly no reason at all. Maybe someone needed to justify purchasing the IP so they didn't lose their job. I'm sure that same person walks around thinking Prey did so well because of his idea to use the name Prey from the 2006 game.

Couple of Ubi updates

Loosk like theres going to be a lot of Assassins Creed stuff shown at the event this week

From Tom Henderson:
https://tryhardguides.com/ubisoft-to-reveal-several-new-assassins-creed-titles-at-ubisoft-forward/

It's information that I've been set on for several months, but with several new sources further corroborating the information, I'm finally confident to report on it.

Ubisoft will be revealing several new Assassin's Creed games this weekend at Ubisoft Forward.

The first game is an extensive "deep dive" into Assassin's Creed Mirage, which was leaked late last week on social media. Assassin's Creed Mirage will take players to Baghdad to play as a young Basim.

Two other games, which will be a part of Assassin's Creed Infinity are also set to be revealed. Assassin's Creed Project Red and Assassin's Creed Project Hexe.

Project Red will take players to Japan. Early concept arts depict a female samurai-like assassin, but players are likely to be able to play as both male and female.

Project Hexe (recently changed from Project Neo), understood to be in development at Ubisoft Montreal will take players in the darkest Assassin's Creed game ever. It's understood that Project Hexe is set during the witch hunt era in 16th century Europe. Project Hexe is understandably one of the more interesting projects and although I wasn't able to report on the title until now, I did throw a slight hint on Twitter (sorry).

Also this about Tencent investing in the Guillemot Brothers company who has the biggest shareholding in Ubisoft

Thought this funny because over the years I always say of Ubi AA games at AAA price points. Price bump confirmed by CEO Guillemot:

Skull & Bones is the first of these games to be set at the new $70 price point. Amazon has already adopted the new pricing structure with both PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of Skull & Bones available to pre-order for $69.99.

However, the Ubisoft store itself lists the game at just $59.99 – you can save yourself a cool $10 by pre-ordering the game direct from Ubisoft. At least, at the moment. Whether or not Ubisoft updates the store in line with their new prices remains to be seen. So, if you’re interested in Skull & Bones, you might want to act fast.

S&B being first out the gate at the price point is ironic; it's built more like a F2P live service output without mentioning no deck boarding nor combat /activities ashore. Inchoate play with PS3-era cinematics for a premium.

EA and Motive announce a new AAA Iron Man game, the bones are there if they use anything from Anthem with the flying/movement

https://www.ea.com/news/all-new-iron-man-video-game?isLocalized=true

We're thrilled to share that an all-new single-player, third-person, action-adventure Iron Man video game is now in early development at Montreal-based Motive Studio. The team is being led by Olivier Proulx, who brings experience working on past Marvel titles like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, and is joined by a dedicated team of passionate industry veterans including Ian Frazier, Maëlenn Lumineau, and JF Poirier at the studio.

Developed in collaboration with Marvel Games, the game will feature an original narrative that taps into the rich history of Iron Man, channeling the complexity, charisma, and creative genius of Tony Stark, and enabling players to feel what it's like to truly play as Iron Man.

"We are thrilled to collaborate with the talented team at Motive Studio to bring their original vision of one of Marvel's most important, powerful and beloved characters," said Bill Rosemann, Vice President and Creative Director at Marvel Games. "Their experience delivering both established entertainment worlds and thrilling gameplay — combined with their authentic passion for the armored icon — will fuel our quest to deliver a love letter to a legendary hero in the form of the ultimate Iron Man video game."

Motive Studio brings their talent and excitement for creating fan-favorite worlds for players to explore and be their own hero, with experience developing titles like Star Wars™: Squadrons and the upcoming Dead Space remake on January 27, 2023.

"It's an honor and privilege to have the opportunity to make a video game based on one of the most iconic Super Heroes in entertainment today," said Olivier Proulx, Executive Producer. "We have a great opportunity to create a new and unique story that we can call our own. Marvel is encouraging us to create something fresh. We have a lot of freedom, which is so engaging for the team."

The game is currently in the pre-production phase and we'll have more updates as we get further along in development. This is an exciting new collaboration between Marvel and Electronic Arts, with Iron Man being the first of several new games. Motive is actively growing their team and you can check out open positions on their website if you're interested in helping them craft the ultimate Iron Man video game adventure.

2K customer service vendor was hacked by the looks of it, just a heads up if any one gets an email like this

Didn't know or missed that Splinter Cell was getting remake treatment from Ubi; was hoping for a new game – but they then go on to say they're rewriting the story for modern audiences. Which is it? Anyhow, latest on the project:

It said the game was being rebuilt with the Snowdrop engine—which also powers The Division and is being used to build Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and Ubisoft’s upcoming Star Wars game—”to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, and the dynamic lighting and shadows the series is known for”.

“So, as we’re building it from the ground up, we’re going to update it visually, as well as some of the design elements to match player comfort and expectations, and we are going to keep it linear like the original games, not make it open world.”

He added: “One of the things that, from my point of view is really exciting about this project, is that the last couple of games all of us have worked on have been really big worlds. What that means is that the economy of decisions is very spread out, whereas what I love about a Splinter Cell map is every square inch represents intentionality.

Ubi is hiring for the script adapter right now:

“Using the first Splinter Cell game as our foundation we are rewriting and updating the story for a modern-day audience,” reads the scriptwriter job ad.

Didn't know or missed that Splinter Cell was getting remake treatment from Ubi; was hoping for a new game – but they then go on to say they're rewriting the story for modern audiences. Which is it? Anyhow, latest on the project:

It said the game was being rebuilt with the Snowdrop engine—which also powers The Division and is being used to build Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and Ubisoft’s upcoming Star Wars game—”to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, and the dynamic lighting and shadows the series is known for”.

“So, as we’re building it from the ground up, we’re going to update it visually, as well as some of the design elements to match player comfort and expectations, and we are going to keep it linear like the original games, not make it open world.”

He added: “One of the things that, from my point of view is really exciting about this project, is that the last couple of games all of us have worked on have been really big worlds. What that means is that the economy of decisions is very spread out, whereas what I love about a Splinter Cell map is every square inch represents intentionality.

Ubi is hiring for the script adapter right now:

“Using the first Splinter Cell game as our foundation we are rewriting and updating the story for a modern-day audience,” reads the scriptwriter job ad.

You've posted in the thread about it <45>

You've posted in the thread about it <45>
I remember posting the project seeing signs of life and picking up but in my head must have misremembered as a new instalment, ha. For some reason, seeing 'remake' here jumped out at me.

Back