Sherdog Movie Club — End (Rebooted!?)

Been pretty AFK from SD but wanted to extend my congratulations on the SMC for surviving as long as it did!

My favourites of the movies I'd never seen before:
1. Aguirre
2. Ran
3. They Live
4. Mother
5. Bone Tomahawk
6. The Name of the Rose
7. Hard Boiled
8. To Live and Die in L.A.
9. What We do in the Shadows
10. Primer

Bravo E1 for keeping this thing going
Have you seen a better tomorrow and the killer

Thanks for all you put into keeping this going! Found some really great movies in this club and enjoyed reading the reviews
I was just about to say that but again you beat me to it
Why do you always have to steal my shine?!

@MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @JayPettryMMA @Yotsuya @HARRISON_3 @the ambush @HenryFlower @Zer @Dirt Road Soldier

Just to make sure you guys know I'm gonna try to keep things going in one form or another. If you want to remain members then please respond, otherwise I'll remove you from the list.

Some other posters might wanna join. Please confirm here if you do.

@Sketch
@sickc0d3r
@Tufts
@Bald1
@sickness2.0
@Solid

First order of business, for anyone wanting to be a member, should we do movies weekly or every two weeks? The point of the club in my mind is participation. If weekly is too much to contribute to on a regular basis that's understandable. On the other hand, one movie a week is only a couple hours of what should be entertainment. So let's decide.

I'd also like to stress the idea that the fun in this club should be from experiencing new movies that you'd probably not otherwise watch. From my experience here in the past I found that far more rewarding than getting people to watch movies of my choosing and soaking up the comments. So for anyone wanting to remain/join, it should be in that spirit. This is why I'm leaning towards every week being where all the qualifying members can nominate a film (like the current battle royale format). The downside is we all aren't guaranteed of regularly having our movies be the viewing pleasure of the week. The upside is I believe this will increase the quality of films and level of interest across the the entire membership each week.

@MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @JayPettryMMA @Yotsuya @HARRISON_3 @the ambush @HenryFlower @Zer @Dirt Road Soldier

Just to make sure you guys know I'm gonna try to keep things going in one form or another. If you want to remain members then please respond, otherwise I'll remove you from the list.

@Sketch
@sickc0d3r
@Tufts
@Bald1
@sickness2.0
@Solid

First order of business, for anyone wanting to be a member, should we do movies weekly or every two weeks? The point of the club in my mind is participation. If weekly is too much to contribute to on a regular basis that's understandable. On the other hand, one movie a week is only a couple hours of what should be entertainment. So let's decide.

I'd also like to stress the idea that the fun in this club should be from experiencing new movies that you'd probably not otherwise watch. From my experience here in the past I found that far more rewarding than getting people to watch movies of my choosing and soaking up the comments. So for anyone wanting to remain/join, it should be in that spirit. This is why I'm leaning towards every week being where all the qualifying members can nominate a film (like the current battle royale format). The downside is we all aren't guaranteed of regularly having our movies be the viewing pleasure of the week. The upside is I believe this will increase the quality of films and level of interest across the the entire membership each week.

I'm in. If I can remember how to post. LOL. Either weekly or bimonthly works for me. I'm ok with Battle Royale format....any thoughts on a weekly theme?

I'm in. If I can remember how to post. LOL. Either weekly or bimonthly works for me. I'm ok with Battle Royale format....any thoughts on a weekly theme?

My initial reaction to themes is to avoid limiting the options that people want to put forth. That's an interesting idea though so if there's support we can do it. But then who comes up with the themes?

@Sketch
@sickc0d3r
@Tufts
@Bald1
@sickness2.0
@Solid

I'm in.

I'm in. A weekly format without any constraints as to a theme should work, but I'll leave the particulars to the guys familiar with the group.

I'm in. A weekly format without any constraints as to a theme should work, but I'll leave the particulars to the guys familiar with the group.

Same, I don't know how it was run before or what the general idea was, I'd like to just sit back and see how it starts off. I always liked the idea though, hopefully this gains support and interest.

@Sketch
@sickc0d3r
@Tufts
@Bald1
@sickness2.0
@Solid

Keep me, keep me. I liked the private message sent before it was "my week" as a reminder.

Thanks for all the hard work down the years europe, always had time to make each posting individual and amusing.

@Sketch
@sickc0d3r
@Tufts
@Bald1
@sickness2.0
@Solid

One advantage of only battle royales would be though that people didnt have to wait their turn as much so having two weeks rather than one wouldnt be as much of an issue as you wouldnt have a very long cycle to get though.

One advantage of only battle royales would be though that people didnt have to wait their turn as much so having two weeks rather than one wouldnt be as much of an issue as you wouldnt have a very long cycle to get though.

I'm thinking we'll keep it weekly for now and see how new membership adapts. So yeah, each week everyone who participated the previous week will have a dog in the race. The downside is nobody is guaranteed to have a movie viewed, but I see that as incentive to nominate more appealing films.

I see you're not on the membership list. You wanna give this new format a go?

Will you continue on as a member? @europe1!

I dunno. The reason I'm stepping down is burnout/lack of time. Not running the thing would of course improve that. So we'll see.

Don't really have the drive for it right now but I also know that I am a really, REALLY fickle bitch so we'll see after I take a nap or two.

Been pretty AFK from SD but wanted to extend my congratulations on the SMC for surviving as long as it did!

Hey nice to see you around iThrillhouse.:D

Bonestorm is still the best AV on sherdog. <45>

So close, @europe1 how is possible we did not end this club properly on a week that ends in a 69?

hY18wmM.gif

looool... now I feel like a fool.:D

Thanks for trucking along for so long Scott Parker;)

Don't think I don't remember those days when you had a serial killer for an AV!:p

Thanks for all the hard work down the years europe, always had time to make each posting individual and amusing.

Thanks man!

Glad that we're still friends even after what I said about Blue is the Warmest Colour.:D

Here are the current club members, not including myself.

@Tufts, @Sketch, @Bald1, @Dirt Road Soldier, @the ambush, @sickness2.0, @sickc0d3r

Heads up to members of the club prior to this transformation.

@europe1, @MusterX, @JayPettryMMA, @Yotsuya, @HARRISON_3, @HenryFlower, @Zer

And to anyone not mentioned who wants to join, enrollment is open. Shout it out if interested.

(in Nice Guy Eddie voice)
Here's the news!

In the spirit of cinema this will be basically a reboot of the SMC. We're going to pretend the last 250 weeks didn't happen and wipe the slate clean. We're also changing the name to commemorate starting from scratch. Unless someone has something better than Mayberry Movie Club that's the name. We're also changing the way things are done.

New rules:
  • Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
Anything not make sense or that I've forgotten?

Alright, so everyone who's joining in please send me a PM of your weeks #1 and #2 nominations by 6pm Sunday evening my time. I'll tag everyone into the thread when posted. Fyi, depending on daylight savings time, I'm either 2 or 3 hours behind California time. It's 3 currently. Yeah, we don't change time here.

Here are the current club members, not including myself.

@Tufts, @Sketch, @Bald1, @Dirt Road Soldier, @the ambush, @sickness2.0, @sickc0d3r

Heads up to members of the club prior to this transformation.

@europe1, @MusterX, @JayPettryMMA, @Yotsuya, @HARRISON_3, @HenryFlower, @Zer

And to anyone not mentioned who wants to join, enrollment is open. Shout it out if interested.

(in Nice Guy Eddie voice)
Here's the news!

In the spirit of cinema this will be basically a reboot of the SMC. We're going to pretend the last 250 weeks didn't happen and wipe the slate clean. We're also changing the name to commemorate starting from scratch. Unless someone has something better than Mayberry Movie Club that's the name. We're also changing the way things are done.

New rules:
  • Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
Anything not make sense or that I've forgotten?

Alright, so everyone who's joining in please send me a PM of your weeks #1 and #2 nominations by 6pm Sunday evening my time. I'll tag everyone into the thread when posted. Fyi, depending on daylight savings time, I'm either 2 or 3 hours behind California time. It's 3 currently. Yeah, we don't change time here.

tenor.gif

You can include me in the tags like europe1 did, so I can stay apprised of club developments and chime in on occasion, and help with any stickied threads or other mod needs.

You can include me in the tags like europe1 did, so I can stay apprised of club developments and chime in on occasion, and help with any stickied threads or other mod needs.

Thanks!

Can we not sticky it? My theory is that we'd get more traffic in the regular section. Sure seemed that way back when we first transitioned to the sticky section. Thoughts on that, @europe1?

By "other mod needs" do you mean carding mf'ers who post spoilers in the nomination threads? :D

Back