SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 250 movie!

Let's pick the Week 250 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

4zc5i2.jpg

(Relevant to this Thread)

Candidates:

LA Takedown (1989)

MV5BZjcxMDkyMDctOWY2OC00NTYyLTg2YjItZTI0MTFhMjA1YTQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Michael Mann

Stars: Scott Plank, Alex McArthur, Michael Rooker

Premise: Tough Los Angeles cop Vincent Hanna takes on a gang of professional bank robbers led by the precise, enigmatic Patrick McLaren.

The Keep (1983)

MV5BOWMzOGFiZjQtMmQxZS00Yzg3LThiNDEtYjdiNGM1YTFkYzAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Stars: Scott Glenn, Ian McKellen, Alberta Watson

Premise: Nazis are forced to turn to a Jewish historian for help in battling the ancient demon they have inadvertently freed from its prison.

Manhunter (1986)

MV5BYjY3NWRlMjItMmUwOC00ZTNhLTk4ODktMDM0NjhhODI4ZDlkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Stars: William Petersen, Kim Greist, Joan Allen

Premise: Former F.B.I. profiler Will Graham (William Petersen) returns to service to pursue a deranged serial killer named "the Tooth Fairy" (Tom Noonan) by the media.

The Insider (1999)

MV5BODg0YjAzNDQtOGFkMi00Yzk2LTg1NzYtYTNjY2UwZTM2ZDdkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Stars: Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, Christopher Plummer

Premise: A research chemist comes under personal and professional attack when he decides to appear in a 60 Minutes exposé on Big Tobacco.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @JayPettryMMA @Yotsuya @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @the ambush @HenryFlower @Zer @Dirt Road Soldier

Reactions: Zer
LA Takedown?

Never even heard of that.

Is it like a Heat prequel?

LA Takedown?

Never even heard of that.

Is it like a Heat prequel?

It was a pilot for a TV show that was rejected, but then became a 90 min TV movie. Then later on it would be the basis for Heat.

I haven't seen it so always been curious about it

Brian Cox's Hannibal > Tony Hopkins' Hannibal

Reactions: Zer
It was a pilot for a TV show that was rejected, but then became a 90 min TV movie. Then later on it would be the basis for Heat.

I haven't seen it so always been curious about it

Movie is available on youtube btw

One wonders what Heat would've been like had Keanu Reeves played Chris, though I think Val Kilmer absolutely nailed it.

I was just talking to someone about The Keep recently. Kinda weird how it pops up like that 2 weeks later.

So I guess The Keep.

I remember seeing Manhunter and wanting to like it, but I found it mostly meh.

William Peterson will always be the man who shot Billy the Kid, IMO

I remember seeing Manhunter and wanting to like it, but I found it mostly meh.

William Peterson will always be the man who shot Billy the Kid, IMO

Petersen got his leading roles in Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA too early in his career. He wasn't ready.

Seeing what Norton did with some of the same lines in Red Dragon is like night and day. There is an advantage to going second but some of Petersen's stuff in Manhunter was beginner work.

Since I'm not an active member, I can tell you all: No matter how big a Mann fan you are, you will be sorry if you have to watch The Keep.

3QGU.gif

Hey, @Zer: Did you ever see The Jericho Mile? Last year, I taught a class called "Authorship in Hollywood Cinema" in which I devoted each week to the study of a different director. To prep for the Michael Mann week, not only did I watch The Keep for the first (and what will remain for as long as I live the only) time, I watched The Jericho Mile for the first time. Now that is a legit hidden gem. Aside from the cringe of Brian Dennehy talking jive, it's amazing to see in Mann's very first protagonist literally all of the quintessential elements of a Mann hero. Plus, it's a damn good (albeit unconventional) sports movie with one of the best endings in Mann's entire filmography. Highly recommended for all Mann fans.

Back