Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Still thinking of replacing my PC. I picked up one of these today.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...RTX_2060_6GB_GDDR6;_16GB_DDR4-2666_RAM;_512GB
Nice score. Unless you prize the experience of building yourself, or have very specific desires per component, I think the custom builders beat the self-building market pretty much on a perpetual basis, now, if one chooses the right base configurator, and chooses parts carefully. They also cycle sales, and it helps to catch those.
iBuyPower is running a special right now. There's also a free perk of the day (2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD):
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-Ryzen-7-BTS-Special/W/734775
  • Asus TUF X570-Plus WiFi ATX Motherboard
  • R7-3700X
  • Asetek 670LS 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler*
  • RX 5700 XT (Founder's Edition / Reference Blower Design variant)
  • 2x8GB ADATA D41 DDR4-3200 CAS16 RGB RAM
  • 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
  • 2TB Seagate 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD [FREE Today]
  • Corsair TX750M Gold Semi-Modular PSU
  • Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 RGB TG Mid ATX Case
  • Extras: iBUYPOWER RGB Lighting 9" 8 x LED Strip, IBP Membrane Keyboard, IBP Gaming Mouse, 3-month Xbox Game Pass
  • Coupon Code: EMONGG or IBPMASTERS (5% off totals over $999)
*Asetek 6th Gen is the manufacturer & base units used in the Corsair H100i Pro, Corsair H115i Pro, and Corsair H150i Pro cooler family. So it's identical, but without the RGB lighting, any fan substitutions Corsair might make, and any software Corsair adds for support.
TOTAL (after discount) = $1283

Compare:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YKRLWD
Self-builder Total= $1463 (+$180)

That's not the best relative value showing the IBP build can muster, either, but it deters nitpicking. Changes from the tender:
>> MoBo: Asus TUF X470-Plus (-$94) or MSI X470 Gaming Plus (-$68)
>> CPU: R5-3600 (-$143)
>> CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire (-$44) or Enermax ETS-TF40-TB (-$40) or iBuyPower 120mm RGB Liquid (-$27)
>> PSU: Thermaltake 600W Smart PSU (-$53) or Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB (-$1)
>> Case: RAIDMAX Alpha RGB (-$61) or GAMDIAS Talos M1 (-$46) or Deepcool Mattrexx 70 RGB (-$21)
>> OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (+$60)

With the cheapest of all of the above hardware options taken, you don't qualify for the 5% discount, but you come in at $914. So anything that adds +$86 to that configuration spits at least $50 back (net increase= $36).

Why would you even support intel? the type of company to sell you something that was less than marginally better than last years product? Seems like your just an intel fan boy and most people would rather not support intel. hell intel used to pay gaming companies to specifically optimize the games for intel chips

My problem with Intel has always been they do not offer price competitive products not even close and even thought their products due win on some key metrix's you pay a pretty sizable bit sometimes over 300 dollars over a slightly slower performing AMD product. They like Apple have never had a consumer friendly business model you always had to buy their Ferrari to match AMD Corvette for performance or slightly exceed AMD performance.

I just noticed today while looking at PCPP they added a new filter sometime in the past week for USB 3.2 Type-C Front Ports in the Case section. Amazing. Similar to how the modularity filters are an easy & effective way to filter out the crap in the PSU section, this is a pretty great EZ button for immediately restricting the list to the newest, best engineered cases on the market. There are some great cases that aren't here, and just a few that are which haven't been reviewed well, but generally speaking, there's no better filter for a shortlist of the top cases.

Unsurprisingly, this list is populated almost entirely by the top dogs (i.e. be quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Fractal, In Win, Lian Li, NZXT, Phanteks, Silverstone, Thermaltake). If you are paying the premium to build yourself, these days, rather than paying a custom builder to build for you, then the opportunity to pick from this list is one of the greatest perks.

See them all with this link, or check them out individually below. To streamline, I only linked the Black color version, unless no Black was available, but you can easily switch the colors directly from the linked page along the top left. I also put in parentheses if Tempered Glass (TG) or Tinted Tempered Glass (TTG) variants are available. These can be accessed just like switching colors.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&D=4

Mini ITX Desktop

Micro ATX Mini Tower

Micro ATX Mid Tower

ATX Desktop

ATX Mid Tower

ATX Full Tower

*Edit* Oh, noticed the filter is wrongly classifying the Lian Li PC-O11 cases as Full ATX Towers. At first I just assumed I was mistaken in always believing them Mid ATX, since they do support E-ATX motherboards, and didn't think much of it, but upon closer inspection, Lian Li themselves list its specification as a Mid Tower on their home page, so PCPP has it filtered incorrectly. Fixing here.

*Edit Update* Shot them an email. Apparently they ignore manufacturer classifications as marketing jargon, and classify any tower with 7+ expansion slots as a full tower, so as a result of my email, the ROG edition was moved to the Full Tower section. Frankly, I never understood why E-ATX or XL-ATX motherboard support didn't confer "Full Tower" classification, but PCPP's definition is more objective than what manufacturers use, so I'm moving them back.

Last edited:
Have you thought about a USB C dock?

I had one for a little bit, ended up not liking it. Some lag on devices while using it and monitor lag.

Mine was a Dell from work for my dell work laptop.
It was the USB “Superspeed” variant like he’s talking about here.

Mine has a usb-c DP and also a hdmi on the back.
It works better to run a usb-c to hdmi converter to one monitor and the other monitor to the hdmi on the back and plug my power and mouse and keyboards etc all in separate

My personal laptop has a usb-c thunderbolt port, and I want to get the usb-c thunderbolt GPU 1050ti dock for it, but haven’t really needed to yet.

It seems like the oldschool straight to pci-e Lane on the bottom
Of the laptop docks worked much much better.

I just noticed today while looking at PCPP they added a new filter sometime in the past week for USB 3.2 Type-C Front Ports in the Case section. Amazing. Similar to how the modularity filters are an easy & effective way to filter out of the crap in the PSU section, this is a pretty great EZ button for immediately restricting the list to the newest, best engineered cases on the market. There are some great cases that aren't here, and just a few that are which haven't been reviewed well, but generally speaking, there's no better filter for a shortlist of the top cases.

Unsurprisingly, this list is populated almost entirely by the top dogs (i.e. be quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Fractal, In Win, Lian-Li, NZXT, Phanteks, Silverstone, Thermaltake). If you are paying the premium to build yourself, these days, rather than paying a custom builder to build for you, then the opportunity to pick from this list is one of the greatest perks.

See them all with this link, or check them out individually below. To streamline, I only linked the Black color version, unless no Black was available, but you can easily switch the colors directly from the linked page along the top left. I also put in parentheses if Tempered Glass (TG) or Tinted Tempered Glass (TTG) variants are available. These can be accessed just like switching colors.

This is a cool feature.

I just noticed today while looking at PCPP they added a new filter sometime in the past week for USB 3.2 Type-C Front Ports in the Case section. Amazing. Similar to how the modularity filters are an easy & effective way to filter out the crap in the PSU section, this is a pretty great EZ button for immediately restricting the list to the newest, best engineered cases on the market. There are some great cases that aren't here, and just a few that are which haven't been reviewed well, but generally speaking, there's no better filter for a shortlist of the top cases.

Unsurprisingly, this list is populated almost entirely by the top dogs (i.e. be quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Fractal, In Win, Lian Li, NZXT, Phanteks, Silverstone, Thermaltake). If you are paying the premium to build yourself, these days, rather than paying a custom builder to build for you, then the opportunity to pick from this list is one of the greatest perks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&D=4

Mini ITX Desktop

Micro ATX Mini Tower

Micro ATX Mid Tower

ATX Desktop

ATX Mid Tower

ATX Full Tower

*Edit* Oh, noticed the filter is wrongly classifying the Lian Li PC-O11 cases as Full ATX Towers. At first I just assumed I was mistaken in always believing them Mid ATX, since they do support E-ATX motherboards, and didn't think much of it, but upon closer inspection, Lian Li themselves list its specification as a Mid Tower on their home page, so PCPP has it filtered incorrectly. Fixing here.
The PC-011 Dynamic is about the same length and height as a Fractal Define C, it’s a lot thicker.

I sorta feel like an ass just popping in to ask a question and then wandering off after (hopefully) getting an answer, but here we go anyways:

I upgraded my computer a while back, went from an i7 920 to a Ryzen 1600X but kept my old dual HD6950s because at the time the bitcoin market was still inflating graphics card prices and I only had a 1080p 60Hz monitor anyways. I'm doing a lot more 3D modeling recently and plan on upgrading to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. I game a bit but I'm about 5 years behind on AAA titles (I'm a cheap bastard who won't spend more than $10 on a game); even then the 6950s just can't hack it anymore and one of them recently had a fan crap out.

So the question is what graphics card should I be looking at? I don't want to go nuts and get something that'll outstrip my 1600X and I don't really want to be spending more than ~$400 for the card. What I'm looking at are the new RX 5700 and the outgoing RX 590.

I sorta feel like an ass just popping in to ask a question and then wandering off after (hopefully) getting an answer, but here we go anyways:

I upgraded my computer a while back, went from an i7 920 to a Ryzen 1600X but kept my old dual HD6950s because at the time the bitcoin market was still inflating graphics card prices and I only had a 1080p 60Hz monitor anyways. I'm doing a lot more 3D modeling recently and plan on upgrading to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. I game a bit but I'm about 5 years behind on AAA titles (I'm a cheap bastard who won't spend more than $10 on a game); even then the 6950s just can't hack it anymore and one of them recently had a fan crap out.

So the question is what graphics card should I be looking at? I don't want to go nuts and get something that'll outstrip my 1600X and I don't really want to be spending more than ~$400 for the card. What I'm looking at are the new RX 5700 and the outgoing RX 590.
That's a relatively wide range since the RX 590's start below $200. From low to high in this $190-$400 range start with the RX 590 and terminate at the RX 5700 XT in the below chart:
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Some of those are out of production, but you might find a great price on a barely used, or possibly even a brand new unit at eBay, for example. Let this be your cheat sheet. Those out of production are crossed out, and I also struck the RTX 2070 because although it's current it isn't available under $400 in new condition:
  • RX 590
  • GTX 1660
  • GTX 1660 Ti
  • GTX 1070
  • RX Vega 56
  • GTX 1070 Ti
  • RTX 2060
  • GTX 1080
  • RX Vega 64
  • RX 5700
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • RTX 2070
  • RX 5700 XT

That CPU won't meaningfully bottleneck any of these cards at that resolution.

Best values among these are probably the GTX 1660 and GTX 1660 Ti. Above $300, the RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT cards carry the best value, but they run hot with the reference blower-style, so unless you have strong cooling, it's advisable to spring for a dual-fan variant, but those just released, so they're hard to find, and come at a stiffer premium. For example, the cheapest RX 5700 right now is the Sapphire 21294-01-20G for $331. The cheapest dual-fan variant is the Sapphire PULSE for $398.

Considering the resolution I would not buy a weaker card than the GTX 1660 Ti. I'd recommend the RTX 2060, RX 5700 (dual-fan), or an RTX 2060 Super in this price range. You can filter for 2+ fans on the bottom left:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=436,446,445

That's a relatively wide range since the RX 590's start below $200. From low to high in this $190-$400 range start with the RX 590 and terminate at the RX 5700 XT in the below chart:
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Some of those are out of production, but you might find a great price on a barely used, or possibly even a brand new unit at eBay, for example. Let this be your cheat sheet. Those out of production are crossed out, and I also struck the RTX 2070 because although it's current it isn't available under $400 in new condition:
  • RX 590
  • GTX 1660
  • GTX 1660 Ti
  • GTX 1070
  • RX Vega 56
  • GTX 1070 Ti
  • RTX 2060
  • GTX 1080
  • RX Vega 64
  • RX 5700
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • RTX 2070
  • RX 5700 XT

That CPU won't meaningfully bottleneck any of these cards at that resolution.

Best values among these are probably the GTX 1660 and GTX 1660 Ti. Above $300, the RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT cards carry the best value, but they run hot with the reference blower-style, so unless you have strong cooling, it's advisable to spring for a dual-fan variant, but those just released, so they're hard to find, and come at a stiffer premium. For example, the cheapest RX 5700 right now is the Sapphire 21294-01-20G for $331. The cheapest dual-fan variant is the Sapphire PULSE for $398.

Considering the resolution I would not buy a weaker card than the GTX 1660 Ti. I'd recommend the RTX 2060, RX 5700 (dual-fan), or an RTX 2060 Super in this price range. You can filter for 2+ fans on the bottom left:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=436,446,445
You da man. I'll probably wait a month or two and pick up a 5700 with a non-reference cooler. That's what I was leaning towards anyways so it's nice to know I wasn't totally off-base.

You da man. I'll probably wait a month or two and pick up a 5700 with a non-reference cooler. That's what I was leaning towards anyways so it's nice to know I wasn't totally off-base.
Keep your eyes peeled on the /buildapcsales sub. A bunch of the dual-fan variants of the RX 5700 XT have been going on sale since I posted that. There's an active sale on an ASRock today that damn near brings a dual-fan variant of the RX 5700 XT down to your named $400 budget ceiling. This is a repeat/re-up of a sale from 3 days ago that went out of stock:

These are running hot. A lot have been flying up, but I'm not sure how long this will last. It could be a sales cycle, or it could signify a coming normalization of prices for these dual fan variants near the reference MSRP.
All of these are out of stock already, but so you can see for yourself. None of these exceeded $440:

There was a PowerColor Red Dragon 5700 XT that went up 3 days ago that is out of stock:

A Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT from 4 days ago :

A Gigabyte RX 5700 XT from 4 days ago:

A PowerColor triple fan variant 6 days ago:

Last edited:
Keep your eyes peeled on the /buildapcsales sub. A bunch of the dual-fan variants of the RX 5700 XT have been going on sale since I posted that. There's an active sale on an ASRock today that damn near brings a dual-fan variant of the RX 5700 XT down to your named $400 budget ceiling. This is a repeat/re-up of a sale from 3 days ago that went out of stock:

These are running hot. A lot have been flying up, but I'm not sure how long this will last. It could be a sales cycle, or it could signify a coming normalization of prices for these dual fan variants near the reference MSRP.
All of these are out of stock already, but so you can see for yourself. None of these exceeded $440:

There was a Power Color Red Dragon 5700 XT that went up 3 days ago that is out of stock:

A Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT from 4 days ago :
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416p8gl/p/N82E16814202349?Item=N82E16814202349

A Gigabyte RX 5700 XT from 4 days ago:

A Power Color triple fan variant 6 days ago:

I appreciate the continued thoughts/update. I actually ordered a Sapphire Pulse 5700 for $360 the end of last week, should be here within the next couple days.

Just grabbed Creative's new flagship card.

Im on the fence currently about upgrading my sound card. Will be coming from a 5/Rx. Currently leaning more towards the AE-5 Pure Edition and lesser to the AE-7. Your external DAC is clearly better than the AE-7's. But what did you come from to the AE-9?

Kane is right. You definitely don't have to spend this much to get near maximal performance.

Use this website, @Lubaolong. Everyone uses it. They automatically calculate shipping, tax, and factor in rebates if they apply (you can uncheck them if you don't want rebates to be factored in because you don't want to hassle with them). It also performs a basic compatbility check between parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/
Setting up a profile is free. It isn't necessary to do this unless you want tax to be calculated accurately, but tax is significant, so I find this very useful. It also allows you to save your part lists. Go to preferences, and you can choose whichever merchants you want it to include. I include them all. I believe you're also in Cali, now, so just set our 7.5% sales tax rate for all the merchants except the following where we don't pay tax. The three emboldened in particular often offer us the best price on components due to their tax advantage:
  • Adorama
  • B&H
  • Mnpctech
  • Modmymods
  • OutletPC
  • Steelseries

Here are some thoughts:

CPU
i9-9900K is still technically the best gaming processor, and your budget allows for it, but AMD is murdering Intel in sales right now. The R5-3600 is outselling Intel's entire CPU lineup in many national markets currently. Cliffs: AMD's top Matisse processors are only performing a few percent below the i9-9900K across the gamut of games, but the R7-3700X ($329 w/tax) is a far superior value, while the R9-3900X ($538 w/tax) has more cores, and more overall horsepower, meaning that it may prove superior in the long term as the software ecosystem becomes increasingly optimized for more cores (just as it has slowly progressed the last decade). The king of their new lineup, the 16-core R9-3950X ($750 MSRP), is set to be released on September 30th. But know the R7-3700X has taken over sales at this performance point because currently all of the others offer very slight practical performance benefit.

CPU Cooler
Your list is missing a cooler for the CPU (Intels no longer come with them by default). For value hunters this is another reason the R7-3700X is so attractive, since at $329 it comes with a Wraith Prism cooler, though at this budget, you might consider more powerful aftermarket CPU coolers for AMD, too. Not sure if you want to fuss with liquid coolers. Air coolers carry less maintenance & risk. The Scythe Ninja 5 is a very attractive new cooler that offers high-end performance at a midrange price. The Noctua NH-D15 is the longtime king of air coolers.

Motherboard
I like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard slightly more than that MSI at the same price. If going with AMD, I also like the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi. FYI, it's easy to swap Intel/AMD CPU + MoBo combinations in these blueprints since they're on the same form factor.

GPU
The RTX 2080 Super costs a lot less money without sacrificing a great deal of performance (~10%-20% depending on the resolution). Still, the extra 3GB VRAM of the RTX 2080 Ti should prove useful in the long term. For the RTX 2080 Ti, EVGA Black is highly reliable, but I would suggest one of these two models instead:
  1. MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 Ti (highest boost clock at reasonable price which is +210 MHz vs. EVGA Black= +21%; triple fan variant; custom PCB; 300W locked power limit which is +50W vs. EVGA Black; also happens to support one of the highest unlocked power limits-- 406W; all in all, well worth the extra $80)
  2. Asus ROG Strix Gaming OC RTX 2080 Ti (everyone wants these for the Quiet OC mode, and you'll pay for it)

RAM
The 3200 MHz sticks are the sweet spot, definitely, and with your budget, I think the 32GB overkill is reasonable looking forward. The 3600 MHz sticks are possible in your budget, but I noticed there is an undesirable premium on the 16GB+ sticks, so you'd want to go with 4x8GB. This would mean filling up every memory slot, so you want to double check clearance with the CPU cooler more closely. Low profile sticks are better for clearance either way. The Crucial Ballstix Sport are nice for this (32.5mm height vs. 43mm height with G. Skill Sniper kit). The white ones are even cheaper with Newegg's promo code until the end of the day if you don't mind the color.

SSD
The Sabrent Rocket comes at a premium, but it is a more ideal NVMe SSD for your OS. Unfortunately it is cheaper per GB for the 1TB size than the 2TB size. You shouldn't be buying a secondary HDD for games with this budget though I suspect you intend games to also go on the SSD. For the HDD 3TB tends to be a better value if you need mass extra storage for media (ex. photos, music, movies, ebooks, etc). Otherwise, SSDs are getting cheap enough I think you'd prefer them for secondary storage. That Intel 660p 2TB is actually the cheapest SSD per GB, right now, and any motherboards you might consider have at least two m.2 slots to accomodate both. Still, 2x2TB SSD eats up quite a bit of budget.

PSU
You don't quite need 850W, but that's fine. Fully modular and Gold (or better) rated is a great start, and this is certainly more than adequate, but you can do better than the Seasonic Focus on this budget. The EVGA G2 850W is worth a bit more, and has a $20 rebate available that brings it down to about the same price ($128 best total price = $30 cheaper than Seasonic via Newegg after shipping & tax).

Case
Corsair 760t is a bit older design, as you can tell from the external drive bays (for Blu-Ray/DVD/CD), but a phenomenal case, and Corsair tends to be more friendly to the builder than other premium brands. Note the similar Corsair 780t is about the same price. A few other luxury cases I would highlight:
  1. Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (gotta buy additional case fans with this one; doesn't fit the Noctua air cooler)
  2. Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
You can get the highest level of cooling performance, with great build quality & features, in cheaper cases. The Corsair Carbide 270R, Corsair Carbide 275R, Phanteks Eclipse P400, Fractal Meshify C, NZXT H500i, Rosewill Cullinan, Silverstone RL05, Silverstone RL06, and Phanteks Enthoo Pro are all top cases around or below $100. Lot of flexibility here. Some filters for convenience:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/c...&m=52,337,50,11,106,58,62,94,229,63,56&page=1

Used the Phanteks Enthoo Pro (no window) in this build since it is Full ATX, has external 5.25" drive bays, and enjoys acclaim from reviewers and customers alike:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x8L3cY
After the $20 rebate, if you care to fill it out, you're at $2853, and that includes tax & shipping. So there is $350 in reserve (if you didn't intend the $3200 ceiling as a tender). Upgrade considerations would include faster RAM, swapping the HDD for the SSD as the secondary drive, a stronger motherboard, the Asus GPU, or a more luxurious case. Price would be roughly equal if you ran an R9-3900X build with the stock cooler.

Don't forget no Windows is included.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to list it, but I have a copy of windows and a water cooling system in my cart I forgot to list. $3200 includes these too. I’ll look at your suggestions tonight after work.

Im on the fence currently about upgrading my sound card. Will be coming from a 5/Rx. Currently leaning more towards the AE-5 Pure Edition and lesser to the AE-7. Your external DAC is clearly better than the AE-7's. But what did you come from to the AE-9?

I had the Sound Blaster ZXR. I certainly didn't NEED the upgrade but I like supporting Creative since I've been with them from the beginning. Plus, I wasn't happy with my current DAC so I used that as an excuse to upgrade.

Back