PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

@Madmick am I crazy, or do many of the new PC cases not have a spot for a DVD drive? Many have these really cool cases with many fans, and cool lighting, but from just looking at the pictures I don't see where the optical drive goes?

Also, what would you buy right now for a 1TB or bigger SSD?

@Madmick am I crazy, or do many of the new PC cases not have a spot for a DVD drive? Many have these really cool cases with many fans, and cool lighting, but from just looking at the pictures I don't see where the optical drive goes?

Also, what would you buy right now for a 1TB or bigger SSD?
Not crazy. Almost none of the latest designs carry that. They're being phased out since USB thumb drives have become the norm when physical media is used at all (local wireless transmission of data via the router is fast enough for almost all non-professionals, and then there's the Cloud for transfers over the internet). For this reason, there's very, very few of those that come with a USB 3.2 Type-C front port. Right now the only case under $100 that has both is the Silverstone RL05 (this happens to be one of the best cases ever made for its stock cooling-to-noise ratio).
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WW...05-blackwhite-atx-mid-tower-case-sst-rl05bw-w

That's the ODD bay aka 5.25" external drive bay. PC Part Picker has a slider where you can specify if you only want to peruse cases with x number of bays like that. Here's the link where I've selected 1+ of those bays while also filtering for Mid ATX or Full ATX cases:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12&t=4,3&sort=price&page=1

Recommend me a new case. I've currently got a Silverstone Primera but as you know I chop and change parts like a lunatic.

I keep thinking about upgrading, then I realized I'm playing Witcher 3 maxed out @ 60FPS and I'll probably be playing that for the next year or so, anyway, so why bother right now?

I do love watching 3DMark numbers getting better though lol.
I've been rocking an overclocked i7 3770k for almost 7 years and have the itch but know that it's not worth bothering with

Curse the consoles for using lowend hardware at launch ! (lol) . It's making our old hardware look like a freaking super computer

Ohhh that's show off my RGB's nicely

I have one and I really like it. The only downside I've found so far is that if you use the vertical GPU bracket from Lian Li designed for the case, it places the card too low and you can't use the bottom fans. Apparently the Cooler Master one will work, but you have to cutting of the case. I'm not sure about the CableMod bracket.
7GDtsoZ.jpg

There's the Thermaltake open frame chassis as well.

And there's always the Yeston Cute Pet.
328786_1583117242380.png

Last edited:
I personally would prefer not to fuck with PSU cooling - see thread title.
In my current PC the PSU fan is the quietest of all.

Anyone know how much a 1080 Ti costs nowadays ?
Depends on model. A low to mid tier card I wouldn't pay more than $350 locally, $400 for a higher end card like the Asus Strix. The 1080ti is 3 years old at this point.

Depends on model. A low to mid tier card I wouldn't pay more than $350 locally, $400 for a higher end card like the Asus Strix. The 1080ti is 3 years old at this point.

I have one with 11gb ram.
Is that upper tier ?

All 1080ti’s have 11gb of ram. What separates a low end vs high end is the type of cooler you have. what model is yours?

It came built in my Acer Predator with a i7 7700K and 16GB Ram.
How can I check ?

looking for a new gaming pc
i have to buy it at amazon (just got amazon credit card)
need to try and keep it under $1100
what i would like

ryzen 5 3600
16 g ram
nvidia 2070 (2nd choice 1660 super or 2060)
500gb ssd (or more)
1tb drive (or more)

i play 1440p on a 27in monitor this one

mostly play wow and diablo 3 as well as COD etc and i have everything else (monitor speakers headset keyboard gaming mouse etc)

Last edited:
what i would like

ryzen 5 3600
16 g ram
500gb ssd (or more)
1tb drive (or more)

mostly play wow and diablo 3 as well as COD etc and i have everything else (monitor speakers headset keyboard gaming mouse etc)

Don't buy a computer on credit.

what i would like

ryzen 5 3600
16 g ram
500gb ssd (or more)
1tb drive (or more)

You may have to temper your expectations, or exercise patience. That's a doable value if you catch a sale, or at least it was, but prices have elevated a bit since they were at their all-time value best from November-January, and the Ryzen 3000 series chips have mostly vanished from Amazon prebuilds, so it looks like you're waiting on the next batch to hit he markets. I'll assume the 1660 Ti is also an acceptable secondary option since it's superior to the 1660 Super, and the R7-2700X is only ~2% slower than the R5-3600 at 1440p on average in the most demanding games. The i7-9700F is probably faster. I ran a few searches and browsed a few lists, and these are the closest I'm seeing atm:

Amazon has bare 1TB HDD's available for as cheap as $37, and SATA cable 3-packs for as low as $5. Not sure if you're willing to buy and install yourself for the Skytech units, but if you are, that final unit effectively meets your criteria for processing power while breaking budget by a smidge over $40. The RTX 2060 Super is nearly the RTX 2070's equal.

Although you might qualify for this $10 off Coupon Code for Prime members (SAVE10NOW):
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/amazon/?couponid=1979137

I'm still using an i5 2500k based system I built in 2011. Swapped out the old GTX570 for a RX480. Everything else is original.

That said, I'm actually here because I'm gonna buy a whole knew system and am looking for some updates suggestions. Rumor is that computer prices are going to spike because of the Coronvirus.

GPU is a bit more difficult. We've hit that point where you should wait for the next generation of GPU's to be released before buying, but with the supply delays coming their release dates might be pushed back.
I second waiting on a new GPU. Not only because new ones should be coming out this summer, but also because the last gen of GPU's was kind of a dud. Huge price hikes and nominal gains. I remember when they launched the 2080 was basically exactly the same as the 1080 Ti in terms of performance, and launched for the same price. The 2XXX series cards were very underwhelming, but the 1XXX cards were a huge upgrade from previous gens so I guess that is to be expected in a way.

Back