Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Welcome back to spring 2018.

Well, the order is in.

Limited Time Offer [$9] - iBUYPOWER MEK 3 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [Blue Switches] ($49 Value) - RGB Customizeable LED Backlight Keys
Case iBUYPOWER Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh RGB Tempered Glass Gaming Case - Black
Case Fans 4x [ARGB] GAMDIAS AEOLUS M2 1204R 120mm Addressable RGB Fan
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor (6x 3.7GHz/32MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling be quiet! DARK ROCK SLIM PWM CPU Cooler
Memory 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to 32GB DDR4-3200 XPG D41 RGB]
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Power Supply 750 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold
Advanced Cabling Options Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 2400MB/s; Write: 1750MB/s
Secondary Hard Drive 2TB Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only
Advanced Build Options - Thermal Paste Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste - Increase your cooling efficiency with upgraded thermal paste
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Warranty Three Year Standard Warranty
Rush Service Deferred Delivery (PC will ship after 4-5 Weeks) - 5% OFF for order over $999 (Must enter coupon code "DEFER" at Checkout)
Share your system information: Click for embedded code
Subtotal $1,740.00
Total Savings -$87.00
$0.00
Total Price $1,653.00

I made a few tweaks. Went to the TUF mobo to save $, dropped the OS to get a clean install and save $, went with the unspecified 3070 option because I read that they're shipping weeks faster than orders that selected a specific model.

I grabbed the keyboard, because I figured I can risk $9 on the possibility that it's a POS.

Overall I'm happy that I got it under $1700 because that's what I told my wife I expected to be spending <45>

I'll provide an update when i get it an eternity from now
Update: got an email stating that they've gathered all the components and assembly will begin on my rig. If this is true, my total wait time may end up being less than 6 weeks.
<MikeP1>

Just a quick question that hopefully someone can help me out with. I have a new build (i5 10600k, RTX 3070, 700 watt PSU, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME and 2TB HDD). Thing is, occasionally when I turn it on it takes over a minute to boot up. This is generally when it's been off for a while. After a slow boot, I can turn it off and on again and it boots as it should. Any ideas on why this might be occurring? Thanks.

Just a quick question that hopefully someone can help me out with. I have a new build (i5 10600k, RTX 3070, 700 watt PSU, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME and 2TB HDD). Thing is, occasionally when I turn it on it takes over a minute to boot up. This is generally when it's been off for a while. After a slow boot, I can turn it off and on again and it boots as it should. Any ideas on why this might be occurring? Thanks.
Do you by chance have Fast Startup disabled?

upload_2021-2-26_10-1-5.png

What part does it hang on? The black screen, the windows logo, after you log in, etc?

Check the task manager -> see what programs are starting up. Disabling some of the nonsense programs could quicken up the start up time.

Also you should be able to see the BIOS start up time there.

my local MC had tons of these today. like 10 different types, most with "25+" as of ~11am or so when i noticed.

they're all sold. even the crappy ass 3060s sold out within a day from MC. daaaaaaamn.

Do you by chance have Fast Startup disabled?

View attachment 836254
I've tried it both enabled and disabled.

What part does it hang on? The black screen, the windows logo, after you log in, etc?
Usually a black screen, with the Asrock logo alternating with a spinning circle. Sometimes it just stays black.

Check the task manager -> see what programs are starting up. Disabling some of the nonsense programs could quicken up the start up time.

Also you should be able to see the BIOS start up time there.
Already done that. I think I have it down to 3 programs starting during boot up.

As I said, it doesn't happen every time I boot. Generally just after it being off for a while. Like first thing in the morning or after work.

I've tried it both enabled and disabled.

Usually a black screen, with the Asrock logo alternating with a spinning circle. Sometimes it just stays black.

Already done that. I think I have it down to 3 programs starting during boot up.

As I said, it doesn't happen every time I boot. Generally just after it being off for a while. Like first thing in the morning or after work.
How long is 'long'

I know my PC boots up in like 6-8 seconds and it feels like a lifetime lol.

my local MC had tons of these today. like 10 different types, most with "25+" as of ~11am or so when i noticed.

they're all sold. even the crappy ass 3060s sold out within a day from MC. daaaaaaamn.
Problem for me I don't have a local MicroCenter the nearest one to me is like 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Problem for me I don't have a local MicroCenter the nearest one to me is like 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

i just use it as a gauge for the overall market, MC is generally ahead of it by a bit.

for reference, the 5600x/5800x have been in stock every day for the last ~month. and the 5900x/5950x has been in stock about half the time recently.

the 3080s seem to trickle in and get sold out immediately. the 6800/6800xt/6900xt/3090 seem to trickle in and last a few minutes longer.

the 3070s seemed halfway available for a little bit, but watching 10 different piles of 3060s sell out in a day is painful. (and i suspect 3070 demand just spiked, with this realization)

Yeah the MC here has had at least 25 5600Xs and 5800Xs each for like a month now. Also lots of the still excellent 3600 and 10400. But GPUs come in (even something like the 1660 Super) and they're gone within a few hours even though you can only buy one in-store.
The "best" GPU in stock is a Radeon 7750 for $220. :confused:

Last edited:
Update: got an email stating that they've gathered all the components and assembly will begin on my rig. If this is true, my total wait time may end up being less than 6 weeks.
<MikeP1>
Got an email on Feb. 18th stating that assembly and testing were complete and it was sent over to shipping. I still haven't received notice that it shipped so I sent them an email today. They said shipping is backed up and blamed it on FedEx delays. They said I'll get priority because I complained. They said hopefully it gets shipped tomorrow and almost certainly by the end of the week.

I'm at 7 weeks now. Looking like we're going to pass that 8 week mark.

<DCrying>

I need some help.

I'm looking to upgrade my Sandy Bridge Xeon and RX570 to something more power friendly. It runs Ubuntu and is only used for youtube playback at 1080p and running Pi-hole. I never game on it or anything else.
What I found was an ASRock embedded solution. Celeron J4105 (mobile) 4/4 core 1.5ghz base 2.5ghz burst. I can't find any reviews on the board itself, but there's lots of mini pc's out there using the same chip and they all can do youtube playback no problem. From those reviews, I've seen the cpu usage is only 25% when watching youtube and Pi-hole uses very little power (1-2% of my current cpu) so the Celeron should have the power to do both. The Celerons have the built in HEVC-10 and H.265 encoder support just like it's bigger brothers.
I have 8 gb of DDR4 on hand already so I don't need to buy new ram and I'm reusing everything from my current build. I'm only going to be using 1 ssd so the embedded board only having 2 sata ports is good enough.

The Celeron embedded combo is $85 meanwhile the next closest I can find is a Pentium G6400 ($65) & ASRock H410M-HDV ($60) combo. Do you guys think it's worth the extra $40 to step up to the Pentium combo or would you go with the Celeron embedded option? Is there any other issues with the Celeron embedded board I'm not thinking of?

Finally pulled the Trigger:

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Elite AC
EVGA RTX-3070 XC3
HyperX Fury 32GB 3200mhz
EVGA Supernova 750GT PSU
Intel Core I7-10700K
Samsung 970 Evo SSD NVME 500gb
Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1GB
Fractal Design Define 7
EVGA CLC 360MM AIO Water Cooler

Finally pulled the Trigger:

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Elite AC