PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I GOT VISUAL.

It says
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Now I have Windows 10 on USB. Should I just plug it in? Is that what this means?

Yep. Plug in your USB drive and follow the instructions to install Windows.
If you plug in your USB drive and still get the reboot and select error, you may need to hit F12 on the splash screen to enter the boot menu. In the boot menu, select your USB drive.

This is your splash screen.
4v1ZHNR.png

Yep. Plug in your USB drive and follow the instructions to install Windows.
If you plug in your USB drive and still get the reboot and select error, you may need to hit F12 on the splash screen to enter the boot menu. In the boot menu, select your USB drive.

This is your splash screen.
4v1ZHNR.png
FUUUUUUCK I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID IT

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH HOLY FUCK

When I went into the boot menu, it said that the bios had been reset, and when I put in the windows USB it didn't appear.

Do I need to restart with the USB device in, or do I need to flash the bios? I have a USB 2.0 thumbdrive

20210802-104346.jpg

Alright now I can install Windows- do I want KDI or UEFI-KDI??

When I went into the boot menu, it said that the bios had been reset, and when I put in the windows USB it didn't appear.

Do I need to restart with the USB device in, or do I need to flash the bios? I have a USB 2.0 thumbdrive

20210802-104346.jpg

Did it finish installing windows? You shouldn't need to go into the boot menu anymore. Looks like your HD is setup as the first boot device.

Did it finish installing windows? You shouldn't need to go into the boot menu anymore. Looks like your HD is setup as the first boot device.
I picked UEFI-KDI, as I understand it it has more recent firmware than a "legacy" update from the bios

It's installing as we speak!!

is there any real need to ever update your bios?

Yes. My X570 board XAmp settings didnt work properly. Also had a problem with certain games not recognizing my PCI-e soundcard headphones out port. Would only use optical out.

Last edited:
is there any real need to ever update your bios?

There is but if you're an average user that has a stable system already, I wouldn't mess with it. If a manufacturer comes out and says you should upgrade due to something like a security issue, then of course you should.

Yes. My X570 board XAmp settings didnt work properly. Also had a problem with certain games not recognizing my PCI-e soundcard.
Why did you choose and internal card instead of an external DAC?

Why did you choose and internal card instead of an external DAC?

Price. Was $200 more for a soundcard that also had an standalone external DAC. One i bought had an onboard DAC built into the soundcard.

Windows is installed, now updating. It's not detecting my other monitor but I suspect when I update the card it will

Welp, I am now talking to you guys on my new rig.

Downloading games now. Time to test this thing out
Use userbenchmark to see how your PC is doing.

Great work building man. Looks good from what I could see.

I just turned it on--- everything is lighting up but-- there is no video!

I plugged HDMi into card first, but then switched to on board- but nothing is happening. Can anyone help?

20210801-200617.jpg
Oh, I see I missed some excitement. Looks like we ran into the plugged-display-into-rear-motherboard-port mistake that I think 90% of new builders make. How did that adrenaline rush feel, LOL? Consider it a rite of passage, @WhiteMousse. Comp looks beautiful, my friend.

Oh, about the USB question above. As has already been clarified to you, yeah, USB is backwards compatible, but the port might throttle the header; however, IIRC, I double checked this for you when I was going over the motherboard suggestion, and I think they're the same speed because the port is USB 3.0, and the port header is USB 3.2 Gen1. It's unclear because they don't specify at the MoBo website if the header is (x1) or (x2), and I could probably find it, but it's not really important. A useful reference below I've previously compiled. This might be handy with rear ports in case you ever hook up a NVMe-based external SSD, for whatever reason, because you'll want to run it through the fastest rear ports.

Transmission Speed Ceilings
  • 0.48 Gb/s = USB 2.0

• 5 Gb/s = USB 3.0
  • 5 Gb/s = USB 3.1 Gen 1
  • 10 Gb/s = USB 3.1 Gen 2
  • 5 Gb/s = USB 3.2 Gen 1(×1)
  • 10 Gb/s = USB 3.2 Gen 1(×2)
  • 10 Gb/s = USB 3.2 Gen 2(×1)
  • 20 Gb/s = USB 3.2 Gen 2(×2)
  • 10 Gb/s = Thunderbolt 1
  • 20 Gb/s = Thunderbolt 2
  • 40 Gb/s = Thunderbolt 3
Finally, I noticed you were asking about HDMI. I don't know if that was simply to test the setup, but remember, you're not supposed to be using HDMI. Use Displayport. Your MSI monitor only goes up to 120Hz on HDMI, but goes up to 144Hz on Displayport. It also probably doesn't support Freesync over HDMI. You'll have to check in the monitor settings. Freesync shouldn't be on by default, so you'll have to activate that, but monitors typically only allow this option if you're using the appropriate Displayport input (otherwise, it will be greyed out).

@Madmick Thank you so much. It was a crazy rush, there were a couple points where I just said out loud "I have no idea what I'm doing." It was quite an adventure.
I just put on Doom Eternal and everything is maxed, Ray Tracing and everything and it flickers 119/120 fps the entire time, makes me smile.
Believe it or not Witcher 3 of all things still isn't perfectly smooth, but that might be a hairworks thing. I'm going to get Cyberpunk, REVIII and RDR2. I can't wait to play those with glorious RT and 60 fps
I'll switch out the cable like you recommended, thank you. Didn't know about the limited refresh on HDMI.

@jojoRed I ran userbenchmark and it said that gaming is 225%, Desktop 102% and workstation is 233%.
The only thing it doesn't like is the memory, recommends that I overclock it.
This thing is so much fucking fun. Again thank you everyone.

@Madmick Thank you so much. It was a crazy rush, there were a couple points where I just said out loud "I have no idea what I'm doing." It was quite an adventure.
I just put on Doom Eternal and everything is maxed, Ray Tracing and everything and it flickers 119/120 fps the entire time, makes me smile.
Believe it or not Witcher 3 of all things still isn't perfectly smooth, but that might be a hairworks thing. I'm going to get Cyberpunk, REVIII and RDR2. I can't wait to play those with glorious RT and 60 fps
I'll switch out the cable like you recommended, thank you. Didn't know about the limited refresh on HDMI.
Yeah, you'll have to activate G-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but also look for it in the monitor's OSD settings menu (activated with the physical buttons). Alternatively, for the latter, MSI has software that allows you to control OSD via a software app:

The only thing it doesn't like is the memory, recommends that I overclock it.

Ram is likely not operating at its advertised/optimal speed. You also likely have a setting capping your frames per second to your monitors refresh rate of 120hz.

Ram is likely not operating at its advertised/optimal speed. You also likely have a setting capping your frames per second to your monitors refresh rate of 120hz.
He's on HDMI. That's why he's capped at 120Hz.

Good call on the RAM. Remember, you have to boot into BIOS by hitting the F11 key (or whatever it is) right after you power-on. You have to select the XMP profile. See if it's stable. If it boots you should be good. Download this software:
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
I suggest the 64-bit installer on the left. When you fire it up, you'll see RAM on along the bottom right of that Summary panel. If the "Clock" field says 2000MHz, that means your XMP is active, and you're now running at 4000MHz.

If it doesn't boot, hit the F11 button again to get back into BIOS. Turn off that setting to return to default so you can boot again stably into Windows. That means you'll have to use one of the RAM overclocking guides to manually calibrate your RAM to find the highest stable overclock at a reasonable voltage (remember: 1.4V max, 1.35V is more desirable).

He'll also need to update his motherboard chipset and ethernet drivers.
Those should be optional updates in Windows, but Gigabyte also has utility software. Seems like sometimes Windows fails to fetch the latest firmware versions. So you start with the "App Center", and then download whichever extension apps you desire from within it. This includes all the other software you see here. No need to download them since App Center fetches and installs them.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AC-rev-1x/support#support-dl-utility

When you launch the app center, there will be an icon along the top bar of its window on the right; the icon is an arrow pointing downwards. Click that. This will find all the updates for your firmware. Just be careful to uncheck the spamware they always try to package-- specifically in the "Third Party Software" section at the bottom. Shit like Norton & Google Toolbar. Also, go into Settings and calibrate it so that it doesn't update automatically (or it will download this shit).

Back