Shooto in 1986 (!) "The Story of Shooto Vol.1 "The Technical Shooting Fight"

Mbetz1981

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Recently, we at Kakutogi HQ were able to get a mother-lode of rare materials, some of which include several of the book/magazines that Satoru Sayama put forth in the 80s where he introduced his new sport of “Shooting” to the world at large. The first was a publication put forth in 1986 (!) where he introduces his new sport, in addition to covering his fighting system and philosophies in great detail. It’s fair to say that this was a comprehensive manual about MMA, 7 years before the UFC was even invented. No, it didn’t have the position-over-submission approach of BJJ, but it did cover fighting in all of its ranges, from what could be arguably the first modern/complete perspective that we now take for granted. Sayama studied whatever he could, I.E. sambo, judo, kickboxing, wrestling, karate, etc. and put everything he knew into a comprehensive curriculum and made a sport around it.

Up till this point, this has never been professionally translated (that we are aware of) so I hope to include the pages of these tomes, translated into English, which should prove once and for all that MMA was not invented by Zuffa, and had a well-rounded comprehensive approach taken to it, far before the current American narrative of taking place somewhere in the mid-'00s.

I was orginally planning on including all of this to the general public, but since we don’t half-ass things over at the Kakutogi Road, we not only hired a professional Japanese translator, but one that is well versed in early MMA history, which I can assure all of you, is not an easy task. Because of the cost of doing this, I will likely include the first couple of chapters for free here, but then keep the rest over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad where those that wish to be part of an unprecedented undertaking in locating and preserving MMA history, can show their support.

So without further ado, here is but a few pages, and if all goes according to plan I’ll be able to keep adding to this every week or so.

Special thanks to Hebisasori for his efforts in translating this great piece of history.

Satoru Sayama’s Introduction to Shooting {Publisher: Kodansha)

tigermask86.pdf630×830 75.2 KB

The 1st Shooting tournament opening ceremony.
097b84cca84bd45b707553ec8207338d125a10f8.jpeg

Reversing a neck throw with a back throw.
cec47a1b1bc2838d26320209869471e235d3830b.jpeg

Leading figure in sambo [in Japan], Victor Koga gives a speech of encouragement.
f44c0d00e43ba3049c74b466092a0d77eafc1c8a.jpeg

Exciting fighting continued one match after another!

ffd95fb8f8eb9e185ab8143c074d42c8c6494021.png

Sayama’s Corner “The Story of Shooto Vol.1” (Continued…)

The chance for KO! Circle around him.

tigermask5597×777 95.8 KB

It’s only been a few months of training in joint submissions. They end up relying necessarily on the sleeper hold. But they are not slack in their method of striking.

tigermask6617×673 70 KB

tigermask7649×825 540 KB

tigermask8630×868 684 KB

Previous Page Translated

Preface

The time has finally come to bring to the world an introductory text of this comprehensive martial art, shooting, that had been my longtime dream, and which involves “striking,” “throwing,” and “submitting.”

I organized this book to take the form of a “technical manual” on the basis of my theory that “Winning or losing in martial arts is based on technique! One cannot become strong without learning the technique.”

One observes with the eyes, learns with the mind, and practices with the body the theory of techniques. In order to learn techniques with the body, one must be endowed with the physical strength that can endure it.

In shooting, we compare technique, that is the technical knowhow, to the software; and we compare the body that embodies that, that is, the physical strength, to the hardware; and we follow a training method that mixes both the soft and the hard with balance.

(soft {technique}  hard {physical strength} = shooting

I established the martial art [combat sport] of shooting as a sport in which win, or loss is clear. This is because I think of martial arts [combat sports] as something that essentially should be refreshing. Shooting is a sport in which one competes the results of training to one’s heart’s content within the bounds of set rules, order, and courtesy.

But shooting is something born out of my own martial art experience and does not have a history or tradition like other martial arts [combat sports]. But I think if you read this book you will sufficiently understand that the techniques of shooting contain the essence of every martial art.

Those who are about to start training in shooting will thus bear the role the top runner who simultaneously builds the history and the future of shooting that had just been born.

I intend to endeavor, from here on, to spread shooting and improve its techniques, so that the beauty of combat sports can be understood not only through Japan but throughout the world.

Mid-summer 1986, Satoru Sayama

tigermask9630×847 110 KB

tigermask10608×810 649 KB

tigermask11623×763 610 KB

tigermask12608×833 608 KB

Previous Page Translated

What’s the shooting?

[photo captions]

Boxing

Karate

Kickboxing

Shooting

American-style full contact karate

Aikido

Judo

Wrestling

Sambo

tigermask13652×853 168 KB

Previous Page Translated

Birth of the unknown martial art [combat sport] shooting:

Shooting…. a word many are unfamiliar with.

Satoru Sayama… a name some may have heard of before.

Prowrestling fans would know of these two. And yet surprisingly most are unfamiliar with “the true meaning of shooting” and “what Satoru Sayama is aiming for.”

After all, Sayama, way back when, was a young man who had become the superhero Tiger Mask. During his period as Tiger Mask, much of his freedom was under bondage.

He was forbidden to assert himself and to show his real face. This was the tragedy caused by him becoming a popular hero.

But the young man nevertheless sought his freedom. He had suddenly of his own will taken off his mask. This was the start of Satoru Sayama’s long and persevering struggle.

This was his parting from prowrestling and his aspiration for shooting that is to replace it. The fans who were shown his real face as he took his mask off were disappointed.

For their dream of Tiger Mask was destroyed. But they did not try to understand why Sayama had thrown away the golden mask.

But that was not unreasonable since Tiger Mask had provided them with such amazing dreams and excitement. They could not afford to pay attention to shooting.

In other words, there was a huge difference between what the young man, who had sought freedom within the mask, really wanted to do, and the dream the fans staked on that mask.

Sayama’s toughness is in the fact that he had thrown away his framework while conscious of this discrepancy. He proclaimed this unknown martial art [combat sport] shooting while desperately erasing the popularity and glory of the mask.

For Sayama himself his “existence became a self-contradiction.” Malicious people gossiped, “how can he do that when it was due to Tiger Mask that he achieved his current status?…”

The only way to get rid of this heavy cross would be to make the world understand that shooting is more excellent than Tiger Mask. In this way shooting sent out a challenge to the popularity of the false image of Tiger Mask.

Shooting was born of this struggle to erase his past self. In any case, who could easily throw away such a “money-making tree” like Tiger Mask?

Without comprehending this point we will not be able to understand the man who is Satoru Sayama. In Sayama’s heart, shooting was something many times heavier than Tiger Mask.

This is just the beginning. There is 195 pages in this volume. As I've gone through more of the book, it would appear that he envisioned Shooto to be a bit different then what it wound up becoming. It was supposed to have a giant octagon ring, way before the first UFC (although it wasn't a cage) and everyone had to wear masks straight out of an Italian post-apocalyptic film. Also, it would seem that he originally wanted only palm strikes to the face, but this all changed quickly. By 1989 he regulated the masks to "Amateur Shooto" and even back in 88' normal punches to the face were allowed. So, from 86-88 it went through some changes, the masks were dropped in 89 (AFAIK) and punches to the face of a grounded opponent started in 94. (Before 94 kicks, knees, and punches were allowed to a grounded opponent's body, but not the face.)

This is awesome. Do you have his first book too?

If you're referring to, "Kayfabe," his autobiography, then no I don't have it now but I've considered picking it up. My understanding is that it usually goes for about $50 on Japanese auction sites. If fact, if this is successful and enough people become patrons to this project, then I would be happy to make translating rare artifacts a regular part of what I do, and I will continue to work on getting more rare materials to examine and translate. As it stands now I have quite a bit to go through, an additional 185 pages of this Shooting Manual, a follow up one he did in 89(?), a couple of rare S.A.W. books, in addition to some other things. Then I might pick up relevant issues of GONG magazine from 91-forward, as they would have articles and features relevant to what we are doing.

No, in 1984 he wrote a book called “Super Tiger Shooting” (so says wiki).

Anyway, I’ll read and donate. Thanks.

No, in 1984 he wrote a book called “Super Tiger Shooting” (so says wiki).

Anyway, I’ll read and donate. Thanks.

Interesting.... I'll keep my eye out for that. If all goes well I'll also try and have the Sambo book he did with Victor Koga translated, somewhere down the road.

Kakutogi Road Presents: Sayama’s Corner "The Story of Shooto Vol.2"

Note: This is a continuation of where we left of last week, as we continue to rappel the depths of all shoot-mysteries. In this case, as we forge ahead with our translation of “Shooting: The Technical Shooting Fight” from 1986. If you appreciate what we are doing, then please consider becoming a member of our Patreon, over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad

tigermask1624×778 145 KB

Previous page translated (continued)

A Pure martial art [combat sport]: That is what shooting is:

Sayama aimed for a “complete martial art” during the period when he was a prowrestler.

There was the claim in prowrestling that “it is the culmination of every combat sport [martial art] of the world,” and Satoru Sayama the prowrestler agreed with this idea.

The one who had aspired to be a wrestler with the idea of “becoming strong,” became obsessed with martial arts.

Sayama, who above all intended a pure martial art, began using the word “shoot” from this period.

Shoot in English spelling is SHOOT . Translated into Japanese it means to “shoot [an arrow],” “shoot [a gun],” “fire.”

Eventually he began calling this technical shooting fight or shooting .

SHOOTING … in a dictionary of English, it is defined as “discharge,” “firing,” “hunting rifle.”

At the gym, young women and boys also train alongside strong bodied youth

tigermask2589×553 67.5 KB

tigermask3505×672 486 KB

Previous page translated:

The elements of every martial art [combat sport] is here

During the period when Sayama joined the New Japan Prowrestling dojo, he placed on the wall of his dorm room in the training camp a note paper on which he wrote, “Combat begins with striking and kicking, then throwing, and ends by submitting the enemy,” and he would read it every day, when waking up in the morning and before going to sleep.

Even while spending every day wrestling after diving into the world of prowrestling, he already felt the necessity of striking.

The content of this note paper was something that indeed expresses in an easy to understand manner the world of “striking, throwing, submitting” that became the genuine motto of shooting.

Striking means kicks and punches, throwing means throwing techniques, and submitting means joint locks. Strictly speaking “striking, throwing, submitting” can be “striking, kicking, throwing, submitting.”

When comparing shooting with other combat sports [martial arts], we can see its characteristic in a glance. Boxing involves striking but no kicking, throwing, or submitting.

Kickboxing has striking and kicking but no throwing or submitting. Judo and sambo, as jacket combat sports, in turn have throwing and submitting but no striking or kicking.

And karate, which is also a gi -wearing combat sport, in contrast to judo and sambo, have striking and kicking but no throwing or submitting. In other words, shooting is a mixed martial art that includes all the elements of various martial arts [combat sports].

It involves the two worlds of stand-up techniques and ground techniques. Stand-up techniques involve fighting from a distance and ground techniques involve fighting in close contact with the opponent.

In boxing or kickboxing, the match cannot proceed when the fighters remain stuck to each other [as in a clinch]. These are sports in which the fighting must proceed strictly from a distance.

In the same way that learning, even within the same field, became finely specialized, combat sports [martial arts] also became specialized, for example, fighting with only punches.

In such times, shooting, without any delay, is striving to establish its aim in the direction of being comprehensive [synthesis] and to plump a new potential for combat sports [marial arts].

Furthermore its techniques involve fighting by aiming to replicate the best techniques of boxing, kickboxing, judo, sambo, and wrestling and mixing them.

And that’s the entirety of the new combat sport born in the last half of the 20th century, or more precisely the mid-1980s, called shooting. If you think about it, shooting is the most natural combat sport.

87af8a2142d27b711a154ae960b0c368878ce37c.jpeg

Previous page translated:

Martial arts [combat sport] is anthropology [study of man]

Every part of the human body can be weapon. In turn weak points are scattered throughout the body. Martial arts [combat sport] involves their offense and defense.

In boxing, the only weapon is punching. Certainly the punch of a heavy weight boxer may be able to easily kill a man. We can regard it a deadly weapon. But in boxing only punches are allowed.

Should not combat be freer? That was how Sayama thought. In response to the opponent’s punches, why not respond with kicks? That would be more natural for a martial art [combat sport].

Will it be a punch? A kick? Or a tackle? One must read the opponent’s moves in an instant.

254×728 34 KB

A rolling savate kick [spinning back kick] that saved the day showers the face. It would be perfect if he hit him a little more deeply.

tigermask6809×538 60.2 KB

tigermask7819×752 811 KB

tigermask8438×550 296 KB

Previous page (s) translated:

Mixed [comprehensive] combat can involve the world of offense and defense in stand-up techniques and settling the fight from a distance. On the other hand it can also involve the offense and defense of ground techniques and settling the fight in close bodily contact.

Compared to boxing or judo, matches in shooting are not simple. The matches become more complex as the technical level improves.

For the spectator it would have to be a sport that’s difficult to understand. Shooting is a combat sport that Satoru Sayama, the founder, was fascinated with even to the extent of throwing away the glory of Tiger Mask.

Only through experiencing it by practicing it, rather than as something to look at, can it have meaning. Only by experiencing it can one understand its value.

In any case, mastering kicks, punches, throws, and submissions require immense time and effort. Any combat sport [martial art] requires the time for repeated practice and research. But because shooting is a combat that synthesizes them, it requires many times more of the energy.

For those who train in shooting, the joy of investigation is its greatest attraction.

Martial arts [combat sports] is essentially something that appeals to the instincts of man. Fighting has been one of the most intimate passions for the human race. No matter how far the human race develops its civilization, the will and passion for fighting remains in the genes of man.

As long as it remains, man is tempted to fight. No one can control this passion. If it goes in the wrong direction it can lead to violence or murder.

To manage this instinct for fighting in different ways, man has repeatedly struggled with his genes. Up to now many martial arts [combat sports] have been born on this earth.

They were born in the form of sublimating the fighting instinct into a sport or in the form of a martial art itself. But no one has skillfully controlled the genes of this fighting instinct. Shooting, as conceived by Sayama, is a martial art that holds the potential for this.

This is because it includes many aspects freer than any combat sport and win or loss depends on their application. As the fighting changes successively from stand-up to ground, kicking to submission, its freedom is closest to the instinct of combat sports.

Moreover its safety measures, such as the shooting shoes, shin protectors, head and face protectors, and so on, are unsurpassed. It checks in advance the potential dangers.

At a glance it may look as if these protectors are denying the whole point of fighting, but that is not the case. To the extent that human beings are fighting, there are vital points in the body as parts that must not be attacked. Shooting is a fighting competition founded on this acknowledgment.

Seeking the possibility of fighting without limit and to the utmost point: Shooting, as conceived by Satoru Sayama, was born of the consumption of the passion and talent taken as far as possible in those two directions.

“In fighting we come to know our humanity. Or rather, combat sport is anthropology [the study of man]. But if it was only about beating up someone, I probably wouldn’t have felt like staking my whole life on shooting” (Satoru Sayama).

By hooking his opponent’s right wrist with his right hand, he tries a cross arm hold. By learning to squeeze the knees, this technique can be mastered.

There was an English language website in the mid 2000s that focused entirely on JMMA, and it had a great series of articles on the history of Shooto. I wish I could remember the name.

It’s amazing… these last two pages have done more to dispel a lot of current mma myths then any number of documentaries could.

If this project accomplishes nothing else, then I hope it cements Sayama as the true Godfather of MMA. Here was someone that was thinking, training, and writing on a realm that was 15 years ahead of most of the world.

Recently, we at Kakutogi HQ were able to get a mother-lode of rare materials, some of which include several of the book/magazines that Satoru Sayama put forth in the 80s where he introduced his new sport of “Shooting” to the world at large. The first was a publication put forth in 1986 (!) where he introduces his new sport, in addition to covering his fighting system and philosophies in great detail. It’s fair to say that this was a comprehensive manual about MMA, 7 years before the UFC was even invented. No, it didn’t have the position-over-submission approach of BJJ, but it did cover fighting in all of its ranges, from what could be arguably the first modern/complete perspective that we now take for granted. Sayama studied whatever he could, I.E. sambo, judo, kickboxing, wrestling, karate, etc. and put everything he knew into a comprehensive curriculum and made a sport around it.

Up till this point, this has never been professionally translated (that we are aware of) so I hope to include the pages of these tomes, translated into English, which should prove once and for all that MMA was not invented by Zuffa, and had a well-rounded comprehensive approach taken to it, far before the current American narrative of taking place somewhere in the mid-'00s.

I was orginally planning on including all of this to the general public, but since we don’t half-ass things over at the Kakutogi Road, we not only hired a professional Japanese translator, but one that is well versed in early MMA history, which I can assure all of you, is not an easy task. Because of the cost of doing this, I will likely include the first couple of chapters for free here, but then keep the rest over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad where those that wish to be part of an unprecedented undertaking in locating and preserving MMA history, can show their support.

So without further ado, here is but a few pages, and if all goes according to plan I’ll be able to keep adding to this every week or so.

Special thanks to Hebisasori for his efforts in translating this great piece of history.

Satoru Sayama’s Introduction to Shooting {Publisher: Kodansha)

tigermask86.pdf630×830 75.2 KB

The 1st Shooting tournament opening ceremony.
097b84cca84bd45b707553ec8207338d125a10f8.jpeg

Reversing a neck throw with a back throw.
cec47a1b1bc2838d26320209869471e235d3830b.jpeg

Leading figure in sambo [in Japan], Victor Koga gives a speech of encouragement.
f44c0d00e43ba3049c74b466092a0d77eafc1c8a.jpeg

Exciting fighting continued one match after another!

ffd95fb8f8eb9e185ab8143c074d42c8c6494021.png
Organized MMA is as old as Greco-Roman pankration but had long since been forgotten until Shooto 1986

I had the honor of fighting in some of the first American Shooto tournaments with my old MMA club, the competition was considerably different than the "NHB" that Ultimate Fighting brought us

shooto was considerably limited compaired to NHB of course because they wanted to encourage more technical fighting that appealed to a more intelligent audience

Organized MMA is as old as Greco-Roman pankration but had long since been forgotten until Shooto 1986

I had the honor of fighting in some of the first American Shooto tournaments with my old MMA club, the competition was considerably different than the "NHB" that Ultimate Fighting brought us

shooto was considerably limited compaired to NHB of course because they wanted to encourage more technical fighting that appealed to a more intelligent audience

That's awesome. What year did that take place? Where the rules the same as Japanese Shooto? That said, around 94 is when Shooto started looking more like modern MMA. The only main difference was that fighters were generally always looking to finish the fight, so there was rarely any stalling. Elbows remained illegal as well. In any event is will be interesting to continue to translate this and see how much things evolved, even in a three year period from 86-89.

That's awesome. What year did that take place? Where the rules the same as Japanese Shooto? That said, around 94 is when Shooto started looking more like modern MMA. The only main difference was that fighters were generally always looking to finish the fight, so there was rarely any stalling. Elbows remained illegal as well. In any event is will be interesting to continue to translate this and see how much things evolved, even in a three year period from 86-89.
the early hook and shoot tournaments were under American Shooto rules that were considerably more careful than NHB, I remember elbows were limited and neck cranks were prohibited. We converted a kickboxing, Judo and wrestling Club to MMA in 1993 and when hook and shoot started in Evansville Indiana a few years later we were providing Fighters for their first shows. Over the years we must have provided dozens of contestants, I've lost count but I remember them being extremely professional and well-run plus the unique and more safety conscious glove design was pure genius as many MMA gloves of the time were brutally thin

I always desperately wanted a pair for the gym but couldn't shell out the cash as they were exorbitantly expensive

IMG_5384.jpg

the early hook and shoot tournaments were under American Shooto rules that were considerably more careful than NHB, I remember elbows were limited and neck cranks were prohibited. We converted a kickboxing, Judo and wrestling Club to MMA in 1993 and when hook and shoot started in Evansville Indiana a few years later we were providing Fighters for their first shows. Over the years we must have provided dozens of contestants, I've lost count but I remember them being extremely professional and well-run plus the unique and more safety conscious glove design was pure genius as many MMA gloves of the time were brutally thin

I always desperately wanted a pair for the gym but couldn't shell out the cash as they were exorbitantly expensive

View attachment 847308

That's amazing. It's always nice to see some knowledge being dropped from someone that was around in the early days. The earliest Hook n Shoot events in my collection start around 97 or 98, but I had no idea that it was in any way affiliated with Shooto so that's super interesting to learn.

Sadly, MMA will always have a limited appeal because it requires a certain amount of uncommon knowledge to get a lot out of what's going on. The early NHB days were better at going over with an uneducated American audience, due to the spectacle of it.

That's amazing. It's always nice to see some knowledge being dropped from someone that was around in the early days. The earliest Hook n Shoot events in my collection start around 97 or 98, but I had no idea that it was in any way affiliated with Shooto so that's super interesting to learn.

Sadly, MMA will always have a limited appeal because it requires a certain amount of uncommon knowledge to get a lot out of what's going on. The early NHB days were better at going over with an uneducated American audience, due to the spectacle of it.
Yeah the "fight World" guys were always smart enough 2 focus on established sporting criteria rather than trying to reinvent the contest. Naturally we didn't always win but I felt like we were treated fairly in most cases but the hometown boy always gets the nod on the draw and we were NEVER the "hometown" favorites. Besides fighting and supplying athletes I also did a little bit of judging for them, it was an honor and a privilege to be associated with one of America's most respectable and original mix martial arts promotions... I just wish I would have kept a pair of those gloves LOL

Shooto was also the only MMA organization in history that featured a "standing eight count"

I once mentioned how this could be implemented in UFC to stop the controversial stoppages and was aggressively panned until I alerted The Forum that it was a common practice in Old School Shooto.

Many simply couldn't believe how it was possible to officially use an "8 count" in MMA but I believe After experiencing several bad stoppages in my own career and seeing countless hundreds of them that a standing eight count in MMA would be a really great thing

I've always thought the referee should only be able to Halt the fight in a single go and then have five seconds to assess the fighter.

The World Heavyweight kickboxing champion who coached me always said if you're really "rung" a few seconds ain't gonna matter

Shooto was also the only MMA organization in history that featured a "standing eight count"

I once mentioned how this could be implemented in UFC to stop the controversial stoppages and was aggressively panned until I alerted The Forum that it was a common practice in Old School Shooto.

Many simply couldn't believe how it was possible to officially use an "8 count" in MMA but I believe After experiencing several bad stoppages in my own career and seeing countless hundreds of them that a standing eight count in MMA would be a really great thing

I've always thought the referee should only be able to Halt the fight in a single go and then have five seconds to assess the fighter.

The World Heavyweight kickboxing champion who coached me always said if you're really "rung" a few seconds ain't gonna matter

Yes. I think that was a holdover from the UWF. The standing 8 could be a potential way to prevent nonsense stoppages. Like fighting in a ring, I think this was a very Japanese flavor in early mma.

Pancrase and Rings also used them, but they were 10sec counts as opposed to 8.

Yes. I think that was a holdover from the UWF. The standing 8 could be a potential way to prevent nonsense stoppages. Like fighting in a ring, I think this was a very Japanese flavor in early mma.

Pancrase and Rings also used them, but they were 10sec counts as opposed to 8.
Oh yeah that's right pancrase and Rings had it also!!

I think it could be an extremely effective tool in MMA but it would have to be applied a bit differently.

The referee could not stop the fight but can only hault the fight and then assess the fighter... in under 5 Seconds it would be very easy for the referee to determine whether or not the encumbered athlete could continue. If the referee had the ability to Halt the fight they would be less likely to Let It Go on too long for fear that their decision was so final. They would finally have the chance to be able to support their argument with the fact that the fighter couldn't answer their questions or scramble to their feet ready to continue

Here is something that will be getting more attention as we get further into this book, but here is a blueprint of what Sayama intended Shooto' s fighting arena to be: An octagon (minus the cage) envisioned some 8 years before UFC 1.

It was huge, and AFAIK was rarely used past 1988, likely due to cost/logistical issues. Both the cage and a traditional ring have their pros&cons for mma, but this is an elegant solution to most of those problems. Too large to likely have issues with wall n stall, plenty of visibility, and no problems with falling out of the ring, this is the best idea I've seen for an mma surface.
Here is something that will be getting more attention as we get further into this book, but here is a blueprint of what Sayama intended Shooto' s fighting arena to be: An octagon (minus the cage) envisioned some 8 years before UFC 1.

14-15.jpg

Last edited:
Back