Shot my first firearm today.

I'm still learning about firearms. I'm guessing a 12 guage is one of those short barrel shotguns? My friend went to a shooting range with her ex bf, she is most likely smaller than you. She hurt her shoulder from it. Idk which shotgun she was shooting though. Not saying your wrong, she was just way smaller at the time she was at least 100lbs and 5'4"

gauge is the diameter of the barrel/shells it uses length of the gun plays no part in it. She most likely hurt her shoulder with incorrect placement of the butt on her shoulder.
For me I have only hurt my shoulder firing a .308 when I was 14.

gauge is the diameter of the barrel/shells it uses length of the gun plays no part in it. She most likely hurt her shoulder with incorrect placement of the butt on her shoulder.
For me I have only hurt my shoulder firing a .308 when I was 14.

Well got to watch out for the placement so I can actually drive no problem.

So i decided to go to a shooting range today in PA, omw over there I got stopped by state police in New Jersey and they put me in cuffs for like 30 secs but than released me.
Aparently there was a warrant out for me that i didn't know about even though, the case was dismissed. It was for a suspended driver's license ticket but that was suppose to be dismissed.

So I went over there and I rented a Glock 19 and shot 10 rounds.
This is what I got. I never shot a real firearm before but playing VR games in NYC and playing black ops, has shown me how to aim down a gun and I am a visual learner.

2r5t8hj.jpg

I got 3 on the 10, 6 on the 9, and 2 on the 8.

The instructors said it was good for a first timer. What do you guys think? I have a video too. I will post in a min.

What distance?

Between the stock sights, grip angle, and trigger, Glocks can be an acquired taste.
I've had my Gen 3 19 for a decade now and love it but Glock stock sights kinda suck. The only handgun I'd ever shot before was the Beretta M9. The grip angle has never bothered me and I got used to the trigger.

3392d1354464142-sight-picture-target2.jpg

61868d1345405522-glock-19-shooting-left-target_chart.jpg

I initially though you had to horizontally center the front white dot like this:

c2fdqz4.png

Last edited:
On the 22 vs 9mm debate, I don't know what the target there has (could be a larger target and 9mm for sure) but I really think anyone brand new to shooting should start with a 22 whether pistol or rifle.

Makes the entire learning process about how to hold steady, acquire sight picture consistently, and getting a smooth trigger squeeze. All without the recoil and recoil anticipation that can form bad habits that are very hard to break later on.

To be completely honest a 12 gauge shotgun really doesn't have that much recoil unless you're firing slugs. I'm by no means a big guy and I can fire a 12 gauge with one hand no worries.

My asshole of a father put a 3" slug in a shotgun for me to fire when I was 12. First time shooting something other than a 22.

It knocked me right on my ass. He said he wanted to teach me to respect the power of a firearm.

My asshole of a father put a 3" slug in a shotgun for me to fire when I was 12. First time shooting something other than a 22.

It knocked me right on my ass. He said he wanted to teach me to respect the power of a firearm.

Hahahahaha yeah slugs give em a bit of recoil.

Should of punched him and told him to respect the power of a good right hand lol.

Should of punched him and told him to respect the power of a good right hand lol.

12 year old me did not have a good right hand

I was a littie shit and deserved it. He told me to lean into it more. I responded "I know what I'm doing dad!" and so he let me get knocked on my ass embarrassingly and deservedly

12 year old me did not have a good right hand

I was a littie shit and deserved it. He told me to lean into it more. I responded "I know what I'm doing dad!" and so he let me get knocked on my ass embarrassingly and deservedly

Oh ok. Sounds like he did good on his part I a way.

Should have started you with a double action/single action “hammer” pistol, example 1911 or a Sig P226.

I only hope you’re not lost to the mindless Glockista generation. Please consider that HK, Sig, Walther and Smith & Wesson make quality striker-fire pistols and you don’t have to buy Glock.

Between the stock sights, grip angle, and trigger, Glocks can be an acquired taste.
I've had my Gen 3 19 for a decade now and love it but Glock stock sights kinda suck. The only handgun I'd ever shot before was the Beretta M9. The grip angle has never bothered me and I got used to the trigger.

3392d1354464142-sight-picture-target2.jpg

61868d1345405522-glock-19-shooting-left-target_chart.jpg

I initially though you had to horizontally center the front white dot like this:

c2fdqz4.png
Why crafty pistoleers recognize the efficiency of “straight 8” or “lollipop” sights. Three-dot sights can cause confusion for night shooting - which is an environmental consideration for home invasions.

Ref:
Heinie Sights for “Straight 8”
XS Sights Big Dot for “lollipop”

Should have started you with a double action/single action “hammer” pistol, example 1911 or a Sig P226.

I only hope you’re not lost to the mindless Glockista generation. Please consider that HK, Sig, Walther and Smith & Wesson make quality striker-fire pistols and you don’t have to buy Glock.

Next time I go is probably sometime this week or next week. I hadn't shot the rifles yet so I'll shoot those. Also I have to pay for a few unpaid court shit, because apparently I forgot to pay some of them so it will probably be next week not this week. So possibly this week but I don't want to jinx myself

Oh and I'm still learning about firearms, so my boy in Jersey just told me about the HK a few days ago, so I will try it sometime when I went to that shooting range, I came mad late because I got pulled over 2x once by NJ state police and than by PA state police, and i was put in cuffs for 2 secs by NJ state police. I like PA state police though they are a lot friendlier. I was like to them "you guys are a lot friendlier than NJ state police" and he said "that is not the first time I've heard that but you showed me nothing but respect so I showed you the same" and I'm like "that's respect" and shook his hand. He did search my car I really had nothing to hide so that took like 15 mins I did tell him about the knife in my car and he took it and put it on top of my car but gave it back to me when he was done with everything. That's why I rather move to PA. basically took me 2 hrs to get to that shooting range. So I ended up getting there when they were 10 mins from closing time. So next time I'm going earlier. Probably on either sat or next mon.

Oh and I'm still learning about firearms, so my boy in Jersey just told me about the HK a few days ago, so I will try it sometime when I went to that shooting range, I came mad late because I got pulled over 2x once by NJ state police and than by PA state police, and i was put in cuffs for 2 secs by NJ state police. I like PA state police though they are a lot friendlier. I was like to them "you guys are a lot friendlier than NJ state police" and he said "that is not the first time I've heard that but you showed me nothing but respect so I showed you the same" and I'm like "that's respect" and shook his hand. He did search my car I really had nothing to hide so that took like 15 mins I did tell him about the knife in my car and he took it and put it on top of my car but gave it back to me when he was done with everything. That's why I rather move to PA. basically took me 2 hrs to get to that shooting range. So I ended up getting there when they were 10 mins from closing time. So next time I'm going earlier. Probably on either sat or next mon.

Keep in mind ranges can be extremely busy on weekends. Mon would probably be better.

Back