Should Boxing simplify weight classes

They have weight classes for sub forums and quite a few threads would belong in a « boxing lightweights » if it existed.

If that's the case, then why haven't they added a super heavyweight class? That's whats actually missing. Have HW be like 220 and below and SHW be over 220.

Right now if you're a 215 lber, youre in a bind unless you're blessed with ungodly power like Wilder.
Yes I have thought about SHW but it doesn't seem to be an advantage once you get over a certain size or you'd think that we'd have the biggest boxers ruling the roost. I think you'd end up with a bit of a novelty division where you just have big guys with low skill levels.

Last edited:
More weight classes mean more champions, more contenders and more money generated. That's not going to change.
Plus, more weightclasses mean more sanctioning money for the ABC belt organizations.

Wasn't there conversation this past week saying that the WBC may institute a super heavyweight class?

Plus, more weightclasses mean more sanctioning money for the ABC belt organizations.

Wasn't there conversation this past week saying that the WBC may institute a super heavyweight class?
I didn't know about that. Personally I think it's a waste of time. If SHW's were dominating HW I could see a point.

Yes I have thought about SHW but it doesn't seem to be an advantage once you get over a certain size or you'd think that we'd have the biggest boxers ruling the roost. I think you'd end up with a bit of a novelty division where you just have big guys with low skill levels.

But nearly all HWs are over 220 anyway. It would just allow fighters too big for CW and too small for HW a chance to compete.

But nearly all HWs are over 220 anyway. It would just allow fighters too big for CW and too small for HW a chance to compete.
How heavy was Deontay Wilder? He's not had a bad run. And let's see how Usyk does. Mike Tyson and Holyfield were smaller heavyweights who had successful careers.

How heavy was Deontay Wilder? He's not had a bad run. And let's see how Usyk does. Mike Tyson and Holyfield were smaller heavyweights who had successful careers.

A guy like Anthony Joshua, at his current size, could make a 220 pound limit relatively easily. It's an entirely unnecessary weight which only thins out already thin divisions.

A guy like Anthony Joshua, at his current size, could make a 220 pound limit relatively easily. It's an entirely unnecessary weight which only thins out already thin divisions.

I disagree that Joshua (or Fury, or Wlad, or Ortiz or a bunch of other HWs) could make 220 easy.

The average HW these days is like 240-250. That's a huge advantage over someone who is naturally a 210lber. And avoiding weight based advantages is why there's weight classes. It's just boxing hasn't for some reason adjusted to the fact that the HW division has gotten heavier and heavier.

I disagree that Joshua (or Fury, or Wlad, or Ortiz or a bunch of other HWs) could make 220 easy.

The average HW these days is like 240-250. That's a huge advantage over someone who is naturally a 210lber. And avoiding weight based advantages is why there's weight classes. It's just boxing hasn't for some reason adjusted to the fact that the HW division has gotten heavier and heavier.

The current version of Joshua would have to cut about 15 pounds. He'd do that easily (a lot of guys 100 pounds lighter than him regularly rehyrdrate 15 pounds). There's often not enough talent to make CW and HW interesting as is. There's nowhere near enough talent to add another division (not to mention the departure from history).

Back