Should calf kicks become an illegal strike?

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
**Thread merged. I don't believe they should be banned. This wasn't my thread title**

Calf kick, calf kick, calf kick. Whether in commentary form or spamming them in the fight. I know sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to win, but since it exploded in popularity it's getting a bit old. Even the commentators just brought up this mindset as I'm typing this. I can't wait until somebody brings a counter to MMA and slow this stuff down. As Bisping just said, I don't want to start seeing calf kick competitions.

Last edited:
Listening to Bisping talk about them and he was joking that they should be illegal, and then Anik and Felder both kinda of agreed.

Its been said by a lot of people that calf kicks cant really be defended because they cant be checked, so its pretty much you either move forward to the point where you simply dont care if you get KO'ed which is not very realistic, or you simply will be taken out of the fight.

The muscle damage and the nerve damage is the main issue with the calf kick, that there is no counter to that and most other strikes dont target nerves that can incapacitate a fighter in where other strikes simply dont have the same effect.

What happens when this thing goes more viral than it already is? Everyone is kicking the calf's and championship fights end from 1 or 2 calf kicks if they hit a nerve? Its all fun and games now, but its become so popular that its every fight.

Learn Savate and you will learn how to deal with calf kick

Fuck that. We are going to see a resurgence of the karate style movement, because boxers are too fucking static to defend against calf kicks.
Thats like saying we should ban jabs and straights, because they are too popular.

No they will soon be fizzled out when a method of defending them becomes popular.

Reactions: HHJ
Learn Savate and you will learn how to deal with calf kick
its like telling someone to "learn to defend strikes to the back of the head by never being on your stomach"..... all it takes is 1 calf kick if it hits the nerve and u seen fights like Omalley and Conor, and Holloway, and other fighters simply lose because of a nerve damage something they cant really control

Yes yes, Conor got KO'ed i can already feel the trolls turning red, im just saying calf kicks are becoming an epidemic that really has no counter

Back